Ignition Push Start - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Ignition Push Start within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by EMarkDDS Mercedes is coming out with a model where the start button is on the top of ...

bambams247
    Originally posted by EMarkDDS
    Mercedes is coming out with a model where the start button is on the top of the shift knob. Just flip open the top and press the button like a fighter jet.
    Thats been out for a while......

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

bambams247
    Originally posted by hd54321
    Check out the Zero Sports Start Button for the Subbies. Do a google on it and you should be able to find a review of it that shows that it is plug and play. The review said there no need to splice or cut any of the ignition wires and that the Zero Sports kit was really plug and play. The red button (smaller and not as nice as the S2000's) was placed in one of the blanks next to the cruise control.

Have fun.

-HD
    Hey IVE been looking for that after I read the thread! I CANT FIND IT ANYWHERE?!!? Do you possibly have a link you can send me to? Please and thank you.

Originally posted by bambams247
    Thats been out for a while......

On which cars? That's the first I had heard of it.

North Hills (Northridge, Granada Hills area), CA
    Here is a review and install (with pictures) of the Zero Sports Formula Start Button.

http://www.vividracing.com/stage14.php

As you can all see, the starter button is small, I don't think it is illuminated and doesn't have the word "START ENGINE" on it.

Have fun.

-HD

A for effort
    D for application.

such a great idea, plug and play, easy to do, and then that damned cheesy button. if you're going to go that far to make the thing work, why not use something aesthetically pleasing? i was all excited til i linked to it and saw that. blah.
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

I had one in my very first car, a Datsun F10. But that was because the factory ignition switch went to crap. I guess I don't get it, but I tend to lean toward the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' crowd.

Starter Button Bling.

The BMW Z8 has a great looking button. This button has really got me thinking about putting this switch into my wrx. It matches the interior and it is very high quality. However, I priced it at the BMW dealership and it is $95. However, I need the schematic. If I can just get the wiring kit, this would be nice to plug and play. Turn key and push button. I like the idea. any thoughts out there?
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~
    Name of wagon: GO GO Yubari

I guess I can answer a few of these questions myself. Using threads from NASIOC...
    Push button install & Help with Starter Button Install

If you take off the plastic cover on the bottom of the steering column (1 screw on the bottom, then gently pull down) you'll have access to the back of the ignition switch (driver's side of steering column). Look at the individual soldered terminals....the one closest to the floor is the one you want. It's either black w/ a yellow tracer, or black w/ a white tracer... You can cut and splice into this wire, then it goes to one side of your push button switch. The other side of the switch can be wired to any hot wire that comes on when the ignition key is turned to the "On" postion (NOT start)
    Wiring Diagram for Impreza. Page 11.

Take off bottom of steering column and look at the left side. There's that little "hub" of soldered wires on the back side of the ignition. The one at the 5 o'clock position (black/yellow) is the ignition wire. The one at the 7 o'clock position (black) is the hot source you want (only hot when key at 'ON' and dead otherwise. Tap a wire into both, put a momentary button between and you're done. Car will start with EITHER key or button. If you want extra security, don't tap the black/yellow - cut it. Tape off the end that's attached to the "hub" and the car will ONLY start with the button.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails starterbutton3.JPG  
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~
    Name of wagon: GO GO Yubari

Please don't ask me to do a write-up on the install because I don't recall the details. I put the S2000 button in my WRX as shown below and it works perfectly. I adapted Miata instructions to my car and I'm very pleased. As for the loss of the cigarette lighter, I don't smoke nor own a phone charger and my radar detector is hardwired.

Scott

Im sponsored by Ignited the company that makes the push button start I can call them and I will get you a wiring diagram on how to do it for the wrx. They sent them to me when I did my install but I lost em. I will do what I can.

J

Is there away to make it think there is a key inserted and in the on position so all you have to do is press the button to start instead of inserting the key?

Thanks,
    Zack

Quote Originally Posted by Demian
    I guess I can answer a few of these questions myself. Using threads from NASIOC...
    Push button install & Help with Starter Button Install

If you take off the plastic cover on the bottom of the steering column (1 screw on the bottom, then gently pull down) you'll have access to the back of the ignition switch (driver's side of steering column). Look at the individual soldered terminals....the one closest to the floor is the one you want. It's either black w/ a yellow tracer, or black w/ a white tracer... You can cut and splice into this wire, then it goes to one side of your push button switch. The other side of the switch can be wired to any hot wire that comes on when the ignition key is turned to the "On" postion (NOT start)
    Wiring Diagram for Impreza. Page 11.

Take off bottom of steering column and look at the left side. There's that little "hub" of soldered wires on the back side of the ignition. The one at the 5 o'clock position (black/yellow) is the ignition wire. The one at the 7 o'clock position (black) is the hot source you want (only hot when key at 'ON' and dead otherwise. Tap a wire into both, put a momentary button between and you're done. Car will start with EITHER key or button. If you want extra security, don't tap the black/yellow - cut it. Tape off the end that's attached to the "hub" and the car will ONLY start with the button.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.