Accessing stock boost gauge

This is a discussion on Accessing stock boost gauge within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I did a few searches and came up dry on replacing the factory boost gauge using factory wiring and ...

Accessing stock boost gauge

So I did a few searches and came up dry on replacing the factory boost gauge using factory wiring and housing/location. I decided to go start taking things apart. I got the bottom of the steering column off no problem, got the top loose and fiddled with it for a few minutes. Decided to take off the gauge surround and see if that picked up anything for me. No dice. Do you need to take the cluster out? Am I missing something? What was hanging up on me is the two loooong posts that screw the upper half to the column. I wasn't in the mood to break stuff, my car only has 1150 miles on it! So I just put it all back together. Any thoughts/advice?

As I'm thinking about it, when the new cluster surround with 2 gauges is available I might have to pick on up and ditch the column mount.
    '04 JBP Wagon 5MT

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You have to take the gauge bezel off to get the top of the steering column cover off. And tilt the column as low as it goes. Then you just have to fiddle with the cover until it slides out. There is a sweet spot to tilt the cover into so that it will slide out very easily, if I remember right you have to tilt the cover up and push it back a little. I spent about 5 minutes moving it around until I hit that sweet spot, then it was off with no effort. Make sure you pay attention when you get it into the right angle, because it will need to go back on the same exact way.

As far as replacing the gauge with a new one, I mounted a Greddy 60mm electric boost gauge on the column. I did not have the factory gauge, but mine is mounted in the same location. I was unable to get the ahold of the Greddy band mount when I wanted to do the install, so I used one of the Autometer mounting cups for a 54mm gauge. I ditched the acutal cup part and just used the cinching band to hold the gauge. It looks pretty good, and works great, really secure screwed into the column cover.

-the_bear
    Last edited by the_bear; 06-09-2003 at 03:19 PM.