Wagon owners, subee-sound needs your input
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Wagon owners, subee-sound needs your input within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have been working the past few days in an attempt to create a new wagon enclosure to go with ...

subee-sound wagon update

i have been working the past few days in an attempt to create a new wagon enclosure to go with my previous line-up. however, i am stuck and cant decide where to go with this now. that is why i need you help. i have settled on 4 box configurations, only 1 or 2 of which i will actually end up making. they are as folows:

single 10" or 12" along back seat, with integrated amp rack.

advantages: very clean look, able to house everything in one area
    disadvantages: loss of ability to fold down rear seat and have a solid area for storage

single 10" on drivers side, with integrated amp rack.

advantages: everything off to one side, great look, keeps lots of space free, and allow full use of cargo area when seats folded down.
    disadvantages: factory jack would have to be moved to another location. would fit in any of the other storage areas.

single 10" on passenger side, with integrated amp rack.

advantages: very clean look with everything in one area, all on one side of vehicle, and allows full use of fold down rear seats for storage.
    disadvantages: only light in rear, would be covered up, and spare tire cover would need to be modified so it could still open.

single 12" or dual 10" spare tire enclosure

advantages: tons of bass, absolutley no usable space lost, great sound and look
    disadvantages: besides loosing spare tire, none.

as you can see i have 4 very good choices to pick from. i am hoping that any of the 4 can be priced less than $300. also, each enclosure will come with a trim panel that will in effect trim off all sides so there would be no visable gaps around the box, or in the case of the spare tire well enclosure, a grill to protect the woofers. i am looking at begining the actual design process this weekend, so any input would be very helpful before then. thanks for the help.

Kevin
    Last edited by subee-sound; 03-02-2002 at 04:24 PM.
    www.subee-sound.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

apparently there are no wagon owners here

kevin
    www.subee-sound.com

Hi Kevin.

Oh yea, there are some wagoneers around. I'm putting an Infinity Basslink in mine, but here are some thoughts on your project from a long time Subaru wagon guy, and current WRX wagon owner.

>single 10" or 12" along back seat, with integrated amp rack.

>advantages: very clean look, able to house everything in one area
    >disadvantages: loss of ability to fold down rear seat and have a solid area for storage

That won't work unless you make it easily removable. Cargo space is why we drive the wagon.

>single 10" on drivers side, with integrated amp rack.

>advantages: everything off to one side, great look, keeps lots of space free, and allow full use of cargo area when seats folded down.
    >disadvantages: factory jack would have to be moved to another location. would fit in any of the other storage areas.

My choice. Can you say "Basslink"?

>single 10" on passenger side, with integrated amp rack.

>advantages: very clean look with everything in one area, all on one side of vehicle, and allows full use of fold down rear seats for storage.
    >disadvantages: only light in rear, would be covered up, and spare tire cover would need to be modified so it could still open.

Drivers side a better choice as noted above.

>single 12" or dual 10" spare tire enclosure

>advantages: tons of bass, absolutley no usable space lost, great sound and look
    >disadvantages: besides loosing spare tire, none.

I won't even pull out of my driveway w/o a spare tyre; that's just INVITING trouble.

>as you can see i have 4 very good choices to pick from.

Only one good one. And still, I would suggest that you try to insure that the enclosure is easily removable. FWIW, I have mounted a sub in the hatch door on older wagons with good results. You will most likely have to abandon the stock plastic and install beefier opener hardware, but if done properly it works great. You will probably also run into issues installing aftermarket speakers into the front doors. Careful measurements seem to indicate that the Infinity Kappa 50.3cs components will fit if mounted on a 1/2 inch spacer/adaptor. I have everything set to try this install, but it's been too damn cold to work in the garage for the last week, and more is on the way for this weekend. I'll post the results when I get it done.

ByeBye! S.
    Steve Jernigan KG0MB
    Laboratory Manager
    Microelectronics Research
    University of Colorado
    (719) 262-3101

Thumbs up

Choice 2 is probably easiest the jack is relativly small and can be relocated with the ease.
    2003 WRX this summer
    GregFarz3@excite.com
    http://community.webshots.com/user/gregfarz78

Like free MP3's? Join my club, mention clubwrx.net
    Audiophilez

"baslink" huh. to be honest, i listened to a basslink setup awhile back, and compared to my singel 10" RS enclosure, it wasnt even close.

as for front components that are to deep, have you ever moved the window track back??? very easy to do and can gain you a little by doing so.

it seems from the posts here and from i-club that the drivers side will be the one to do. i think the back seat option would look/sound the best, but i also figured that wagon owners would want all the space they can get, hence the reason for the wagon. keep any info you have coming, it is all appreciated.

Kevin
    www.subee-sound.com
    www.subee-sound.com

I agree with you I installed a basslink in my friends WRX it sounds good dont get me wrong but a single 10" sub will blow that thing away.
    2003 WRX this summer
    GregFarz3@excite.com

Audiophilez

Kevin! Glad to see you found your way to ClubWRX.net!

Kevin is the man responsible for my much better sounding system in my WRX....

If I need anything done to my system, I bring it to him. He has made all kinds of custom designed boxes for Subaru's, and others alike. (although he is still driving a 2.5 RS.... on the fence about the WRX)

Currently working on a new box for my trunk Right?

I swapped out my eclipse sub for a JL W3 10" ...... I like it... now I'm just missing the perfect enclosure....

Kevin.......... ??
    02 Blaze Yellow WRX >>> 04 STi >>> 05 300c SRT8 w/100 shot >>> 06 EVO IX ... I'm loving it!!

thank you brett, and no id ont have your box yet soon though, perhaps by next weekend. it seems the drivers side has been the unanimous choice, so away i go. also, i think that the wrx sedan enclosure will fit just fine in the wagon also, which means you could order 2 boxes, and have 2 10's in the hatch. i will let everyone know how the wagon and wrx project turn out, hopefully with some pics in the next week. thanks for the input.

Kevin
    www.subee-sound.com
    www.subee-sound.com

You went from an Eclipse sub to a JL

Do you mind me asking why? Eclipse subs are the shiznit if I could afford a $400 sub I'd get one in a heartbeat.
    2003 WRX this summer
    GregFarz3@excite.com

Audiophilez

he had an 87 series poly cone dvc, unfortunately, it was a dual 4 ohm sub, and his amp kept shutting down because of it. we also dont stock the single voice coil subs, so we had to either change subs, or change amps, and as you can tell we choose the sub i would have to say that a 10W3 vs an 8710DVC, i would take the JL also.

Kevin
    www.subee-sound.com
    www.subee-sound.com

well, after spending the day going over box placement and sizes, i think i have finally settled on the final version. if you look in the hatch, on the drivers side, you will see the far pull up compartment. it is kinda outlined on the floor by the spare cover and at the back seat by that flip up compartment. the box will fit within the confines of that area, about an inch to an inch an a half inside of it. Does anyone have any objections to that size??? the wrx sedans will probable use the same enclosure on the drivers side also. i believe i ended up with about .8 to .9 cu ft of airspace in that area, about 11" high. if anyone has any further suggestions, i would be interested in hearing them. thanks.

Kevin
    www.subee-sound.com
    www.subee-sound.com

Check these guys out too...

Nice place for custom sub enclosures for the tirewell.

http://www.subarusound.com

>single 10" or 12" along back seat, with integrated amp rack.

>advantages: very clean look, able to house everything in one area
    >disadvantages: loss of ability to fold down rear seat and have a solid area for storage

Make it easily removable and so that it can be stored in the floorboad space between the front and back seats while the back seat is folded down and I think you may have a winner....

boxman
    The meek shall inherit the earth, then we'll take it away from them....

boxman, sorry, there was very little interest in that enclosure, so i discontinued it. sorry, my website hasnt been updated in quite some time as i am waiting for the new one to be finished.

kevin
    www.subee-sound.com
    www.subee-sound.com

Thanks for the info....it's too bad there wasn't a lot of interest, I guess there is just no accounting for taste

boxman
    The meek shall inherit the earth, then we'll take it away from them....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.