Column Mounted Boost Gauge

This is a discussion on Column Mounted Boost Gauge within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; right now im looking at the 45mm Omori Turbo Gauge that i want to mount on the steering column (like ...

Column Mounted Boost Gauge

right now im looking at the 45mm Omori Turbo Gauge that i want to mount on the steering column (like the stock one). i have read that the 45mm Omori will fit in the factory column pod, but i can't seem to find anyone who sells the column pod. where could i find this pod?

also what is the difference between a mechanical gauge and an electrical gauge?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A mechanical gauge has a boost line plumbed into the back of the gauge itself and an electrical one has a sensor under the hood sending the signal to a small 'brain' which then controls the gauge. One feature of the electronic gauges I like is the peak hold function, so you dont have to take your eyes off the road while trying to measure your peak boost.

EDIT: also, I would recomend AGAINST mounting the gauge in the factory position as it tends to block out most of your veiw of the tach.
    Last edited by CKxx; 05-31-2003 at 11:00 PM.

thanks for the info. ive driven one with the stock gauge and it didnt seem to get in the way of the tach too much. i could always mount it to the left side. i want to keep my clock and i dont want an a-pillar pod so i figure the stock location is my best bet.

also how hard is the install on an electrical gauge?
    Last edited by iceWRX; 06-01-2003 at 07:07 AM.

In the new cars (04) the gauge is acctually where you described, on the opposite side of the column. It would have been a good idea to move it but they had already relocated the tach so there was no point.

I acctually bought and installed a greddy 60mm peak hold gauge yesterday and can say that it wasnt hard at all. For the gauge to work properly It needs: Power, Ground, Illumination, and Ignition connections....conviniently those are the 4 wires that lead to the back of the dash clock, so you can tap everything you need right there. Under the hood all you need to do is insert a 'T' connection into the BOV hose and connect that to a small boost sensor. Run a line through the firewall and youre ready to go.

For a beginner it shouldent be too hard, just take youre time. If you have any more Qs I can take pics of where I put everything and help you w/whatever questions you have.

thanks i appreciate all the help. the install sounds pretty much straight foward.

Originally posted by iceWRX
    thanks for the info. ive driven one with the stock gauge and it didnt seem to get in the way of the tach too much. i could always mount it to the left side. i want to keep my clock and i dont want an a-pillar pod so i figure the stock location is my best bet.

also how hard is the install on an electrical gauge?

I asked the same thing. Check out the bottom of this thread. Someone posts where to get that Boost gauge you want (I also found it elsewhere) and instructions with pics on the installation. I haven't ordered my gauge yet, but this seems like the route to take. Except I plan on sodering the connection instead of splicing. The website he lists to buy from is best looked at through Netscape (at least if was for me).

Good luck.

Factory Turbo Gauge or Aftermarket
    Last edited by Sick Boy; 06-02-2003 at 12:23 PM.
    2004 Sedan Stage IV (w/ .5L envy) >>> Stripped & Sold!
    2007 Wagon Stock >>> Soon to be traded in for an 08 STI

thanks sickboy, ive read your post before. i think your thread got me thinking about getting a boost gauge.

Limehatless Avatar - I'm a trend scoffer.

The column mounted gauge blocks most of the tach? Que?

That's the stock column cup with an Omori 45mm gauge. I've been VERY happy with it.

Omori > Lameco

And it's going to be hard to find the rubber cup from the stock one if you don't have it already. I've heard $120 for the cup alone

Vostok 7
    BUGEYE 4 LYFE! Or uh maybe not

RIP Team Intrinsic Viva la Project 1! http://www.prjct1.com/

2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 4EAT Aspen White "Akane"
    Mod List, Picts

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Sedan Aspen White "Akane II"

Originally posted by CKxx

EDIT: also, I would recomend AGAINST mounting the gauge in the factory position as it tends to block out most of your veiw of the tach.
    not true at all. it sits perfectly in fact.

dR

Originally posted by Vostok 7

The column mounted gauge blocks most of the tach? Que?

That's the stock column cup with an Omori 45mm gauge. I've been VERY happy with it.

Omori > Lameco

And it's going to be hard to find the rubber cup from the stock one if you don't have it already. I've heard $120 for the cup alone

Vostok 7 [/B]
    I agree, I have a Greddy 60mm electronic mounted there and have no problem seeing the tach, the part past about 7.5k is blocked, but I try hard not to get up in that range.

-the_bear

anyone have some suggestions on pods? the only one i was able to find is one made by HKS. also is there any place that sells the stock pod?

i have a 52mm GReddy electronic boost gauge mounted on my steering column, and it is a great spot for it. i mounted it using a GReddy band holder, which is little more than a thin metal band that goes around the gauge and mounts on the base provided. i chose this band holder because it is simple and clean, and also doesnt increase the outside diameter of the gauge bezel. anyway, my 52mm only blocks 8500-9000 rpm and nothing else.
    o-|-<) bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com