Shift Kbob

This is a discussion on Shift Kbob within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just acquired the aluminum STI shoft knob, and I cant seem to get my factory one off...I trist it ...

Shift Kbob

I just acquired the aluminum STI shoft knob, and I cant seem to get my factory one off...I trist it off, and when the knob finally comes loose, I cant seem to un attach the boot... What am I doing wrong.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i just did that last night... i ended up disamble the centre console to find out...

it will pop out easier than you'd think... just grap the boot and twist it off... it looks like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 102_0225.jpg  
    - 04 Java Black Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan

....6 Right, 50, 4 Left Tightens to 3 Long, 100, Jump Maybe, Care 6 Right, 30, Hair Pin Left Sign Outside, 30, 2 Right, 100 Over Finish.

The white plastic bushing is probably spinning on the actual shifter rod instead of the shift knob turning off the white bushing. Grab the leather just below the shifter and try to stop the bushing from turning.

You can see it in AUSSIE's pic. And as he says, you will need to pull the center console out.
    '04 JBP Wagon 5MT

I had the same problem with that white piece of plastic. Easiest thing to do, just get some pliers, grab the white part and twist off. Otherwise the knob will just spin on the white plastic and not go anywhere. I also found it to be pretty messy with little bits of plastic or glue flaking off. On a side note, that STI shift knob isn't the greatest, I upgraded to a Prodrive knob, much better and smoother shifts now.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

Originally posted by randy98mtu
    The white plastic bushing is probably spinning on the actual shifter rod instead of the shift knob turning off the white bushing. Grab the leather just below the shifter and try to stop the bushing from turning.

You can see it in AUSSIE's pic. And as he says, you will need to pull the center console out.

So wait, do I or Dont I need to take the concole off? One says yes, pne says no?

I can't be 100% sure anymore, but I still think you'll need to pull the two peices (one around the parking brake, then the one around/with the shift boot. The white plastic serves to pull the leater boot up against the bottom of the shift knob. Thus I don't think it pulled up through the shift boot. Rather I think it needs to drop down through it. Can't do that without removing the two pieces. Unless your aftermarket knob fits over the white plastic. The Momo Race Air does not.
    '04 JBP Wagon 5MT

You dont need to rip the console out to pull the knob off.....

just hold onto the leather boot... and pull the knob off! Jiggle it a bit... work it out... wont do any damage to the white plastic or the boot....

done this to mine and a mate's car.

If you get the sti shifter trim, you need to take the console out.... I recommend this mod.... it looks sooo goood! :P

didn't think this was that much of a big deal - lefty loosey, righty tighty - turn counterclockwise, and grab the boot to prevent it spinning with the knob. keep turning, and when the knob is free of the shaft, merely pull it off the collar holding it on. replace with knob of your choice. ta-da!
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667