Stock WRX stereo questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Stock WRX stereo questions within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi Team! Does anyone know where the cross-overs (PROBABLY just a capacitor) for the front speakers live? Or failing that, ...

Stock WRX stereo questions

Hi Team!

Does anyone know where the cross-overs (PROBABLY just a capacitor) for the front speakers live? Or failing that, do you know if the front "woofer" is getting full audio? I am installing some Infinity speakers, and would like to use their cross-over if this can be easily done; otherwise it'll wait 'til I upgrade the head unit and run new wires.
    Uuh, and while on the subject, can anyone provide pointers as to pulling the center console plastic without destroying anything? Any hidden fastners, clips, booby-traps, etc? I have a quick-shift kit to install, and would like to take a look at the stereo mounting arrangement while I'm at it. TIA.

ByeBye! S.
    Steve Jernigan KG0MB
    Laboratory Manager
    Microelectronics Research
    University of Colorado
    (719) 262-3101

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

As far as I know there probably isnt a resistor (not a capacitor) on the front speakers but I'm sure there is one in line with the tweeter. What infinity's are you getting the components? They come with a crossover already.

For the center console theres a few screws I think in the armrest compartment maybe 2-3 of them. The rest is just held in by retaining clips just yank on it eventually it pops out. I wired up a shift knob in minutes no prob.
    2003 WRX this summer
    GregFarz3@excite.com
    http://community.webshots.com/user/gregfarz78

Like free MP3's? Join my club, mention clubwrx.net
    Audiophilez

Sounds like we are in the same state of non-information. Have you learned anything more as yet? I already changed the door speakers to infity and am still unhappy. Now I want to add a 4 channel amp for the doors and replace the sub/amp under the seat. Here's my confusion. I want to split the signal and only send the mid and high frequencies to the 4 door speakers, and only send the low frequency to the sub. When I play with the fader I notice that when I fade to the front speakers the sub fades out and the front speakers appear to get full range signal but the bass is real weak. When I fade to the rear, the sub comes on and yet the rear speakers still seem to get full range signal and again the bass from the rear doors is real weak. It would appear that the sub is taking signal from the rear speaker channel but I can't tell if there is a cross-over in the head that is filtering the lows to the doors. I need to figure this out somehow so I know if I can build around this head unit. Also, there is a gain and a variable cross-ver knob on the sub. Does this simply set the filter point going into the sub, or does it perhaps also vary the low cut off point back to the speakers.

Hi Silverwagon, All.

Well, I've got the sound in my wagon about where I want it.
    Infinity Kappa speakers in all four doors, Infinity powered sub in the back, Alpine head and remote Alpine 6 disk changer; the changer does MP3s. Can't tell you too much about the "upgraded" stereo/sub; I wasn't too imprezzed and so got mine w/o. The stock head on mine sounded OK with the Infinity speakers, but the Alpine unit is significantly cleaner. The Alpine head also gives the crossover options you desire; I'm pretty sure the stocker sends full audio to all four doors regardless of the subwoofer settings. The crossovers for the factory tweeters are a tiny capacitor on the tweeter its self. Again, I don't know how the signals are fed to the factory sub, but I doubt it's very sophisticated. Email directly, <jernigan@chester.uccs.edu> and I will send what I have on the stock stereo; at least the pinouts for the connector, and attempt to answer any other questions regarding the doing of the deed ;-)

ByeBye! S.
    Steve Jernigan KG0MB
    Laboratory Manager
    Microelectronics Research
    University of Colorado
    (719) 262-3101

THIS IS SOUND

Take a look at my 330 HP V8 Dakota.NOS Equiped
    It used to be mine until yesterday
    But now i have a WRX Wagon
    Take a Look at Those NOS and Stereo Pics..
    This System will work fine in my new Subbie Wagon.
    Cheers
    Tuca
    http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...377&uid=509741

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.