will a decent deck make my am speakers sound better?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on will a decent deck make my am speakers sound better? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I know I know, I should've read before I bought ... But I got the speaker itch last week, and ...

how much better will my am speakers sound with a decent hu?

I know I know, I should've read before I bought ... But I got the speaker itch last week, and bought a pair of 6.5" infinity reference's for the front and a pair of 4" boston a pro's for the rear. I put them in without a hitch (needed 1" spacer in the front, but no fit issues) and they almost sound WORSE than stock - or at the very least, no better. (with the stock HU)

My plan now I guess is to purchase a new deck - I like the Pioneer's in the ~$200 range, and they advertise 50x4 -- would this be adequate to see a greatly improved quality of sound? I want to do a pair of 10's in the back, but this is going to be a staged project ...

annoyed at the ~200 i spent last week ...
    Last edited by outlandr23; 05-23-2003 at 11:15 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Definitely get a better deck.
    Those speakers require a higher rms input to sound decent. I think the stock unit does something like 4watts rms x4. Kinda disgusting...
    --Damon

'04 Black 1.8t GTI
    (O8o)===W===(o8O)

I have a similar question. I have aftermarket spaekers, amps, and a 10" sub. Sounds great, but I have the stock head unit and I was waondering if an aftermarket unit will change anything. Do different head units sound different when the power comes from the amps?
    "You have a sunburn, mmm, like chokolada, ahhh, it's you, me and Pina Colada."

With my experience... All you need is the amp.

Oh, and I could sit and watch your avatar for hrs!!!!

which infinity reference speakers did you get? i was looking for the same ones myself lately, and think i decided to go with the components.
    from what i've heard from others i expected to find a pretty nice improvement over stock with just replacing the front speakers. does anyone else have any experience with upgrading only speakers with no amp or aftermarket head unit?
    o-|-<) bryan

by the way... check out www.ikesound.com for incredible car audio pricing

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

The stock HU holds up with amps on the aftermarket speakers? i realyl don't want to give up the stock look and the 6cd changer, but i'm worried about the substandard sound clarity i've read about ...

I guess my options are :

new HU, amp for sub, sub
    or
    amp for sub, sub, amp for speakers

both about the same in cost, really ... question is sound quality...
    03 silver sedan...stock

d'oh, didn't see your response before I posted mine.

I believe the pair I got were the Infinity Reference 6002i ... Got a great deal at Fry's . (it was an impulse, I need to put these in tonight! purchase)

The high's sound great, but they distort like hell around 28, up to 40. I see minimal improvement over stock, save clarity at low volumes... Thus my original question
    03 silver sedan...stock

My current setup is stock HU, amp for speakers, af speakers, amp for sub, and sub. I also kept the stock hu to look stock. The sound is excellent. The only thing is the rattles that have developed after a year with this setup. I'll probably just get some dynamat to fix it later.

Oh...
    and I have an amp for the sub with a bass control knob, which I would highly recommend. It lets you control the level of the sub without adjusting the speakers.

I might just do that, then . I'd rather not mess with the stock HU if I don't have to.

Question - where did you mount the bass control knob? I've seen them next to the parknig brake, but that seems a tad obvious .. Under the driver's side chair?

I'm leaning towards your setup. What amp do you have powering your inside speakers?
    03 silver sedan...stock

I have two Rockford Fosgate amps, not sure of the models(can't leave work to check now). And I mounted the knob next to the parking brake since its within perfect reach when you have your arm on the armrest. The knob is black so you can't even see it when looking through tinted windows. You would really have to look for it. Mounting it under a chair seems a bit far to reach. I mess with mine all the time, depending on which CD or type of music I'm listening to.

Got any pics of your setup? that sounds pretty cool!

Thumbs up

Unfortunately, I won't have time to take any pics today(going to Mexico!). But I'll try to get some up when I get back.

I've got Infinity Reference 6 1/2s and 4s, with the stock head unit. They have bass cut capacitors installed, and I replaced the stock sub with an Infinity Basslink. With no amplifier, the whole setup easily sounds twice as good as stock. There is much more clarity, the highs are infinitely better, and I'm very happy with it now. An amp and HU would be nice though...
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

zipity here, zipity there, i'm zipity everywhere...
    from my many experiences, replacing the stock HU will make any speakers, even the stockers, sound a whole lot better. if you've done the speakers first then, you'll probably need a converter to change the output from the stock HU to RCA. then get an amp for the speakers, and one for the 15" you'll be very pleased with the sound
    i'm bombin' uppercut swipes
    as my knuckles ignite
    more strikes
    than a teachin' staff's
    fights for pay hikes

I plan on getting the Kenwood deck to replace the stock one. It will fit perfect. I also plan on getting some subs.
    Dom
    03 Platinum Silver WRX

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.