will a decent deck make my am speakers sound better? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on will a decent deck make my am speakers sound better? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Yeah, you'd be surprised how adding just a better head unit will make everything sound better. In my car I ...

Yeah, you'd be surprised how adding just a better head unit will make everything sound better. In my car I kept stock speakers and add subs along with a new head unit and it sounds quite good. I mounted my bass control knob under the dash, sort of near the steering wheel. Pioneer makes a pretty good CD/MP3 player for around $200.
    FYI: 50 W x 4 is really good. Stock head units usually don't push more than 20 W per channel..
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

50W x 4 is really good.
    Dom
    03 Platinum Silver WRX

50x4 is probably peak output, all pioneers do about 22x4 RMS and peak at 50-54 watts. I have the stock HU with infiniti kappas in the fronts and rears and it does sound better but not a whole lot. My bass output went up a lot with these though, I have it set to zero bass and people still think I have a sub in my car somewhere.
    My woman hates the money pit
    2002 WRX Hybrid 2.5L 16G

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bask Oner
    [B]I've got Infinity Reference 6 1/2s and 4s, with the stock head unit. They have bass cut capacitors installed,...

Did you add the capacitors to the speakers or did the speakers come with them? I just bought a pair of infinity 605 components and will be installing them soon and will also add a sub later. I know I will need to kill some of the lows from the front speakers and will do that when I add the sub. It would be nice to not open the door panels again, though.

Ack, long weekend with no computer, so a very belated response. Thanks for all the input, though !

I'm still debating whether to amplify the stock HU or just replace it, but since HU's are so cheap right now, I think it makes sense to go that route.

I have the stock sound package by the way, not the upgraded, so nothing at all is amplified and even with the Infinity's, the low's are garbage. At 0 Bass, anything over 25 or so distorts, and 35+ sounds like a bad AM signal it's so choppy.

New HU, then the sub/amp, then AccessECU ... Sounds like I've got my month filled !
    03 silver sedan...stock

Exclamation

GET A NEW HEAD UNIT!

Fact: You will blow your speaker with an under-powered head unit.

Why? Because when you crank up that p.o.s. head unit, you're not only jacking up the signal, but you're also jacking up the noise. Noise destroyes speakers. That's why the big boys get the head units with 8v outs (like my E-skips... er... Eclipse). You can produce a higher signal to noise ratio with them (meaning a loud system, with less damaging noise being amped).

Any audio freak will tell you, it's better to run more power to the speaks, than less. Just watch the impedence.

Good luck.
    2004 Sedan Stage IV (w/ .5L envy) >>> Stripped & Sold!
    2007 Wagon Stock >>> Soon to be traded in for an 08 STI

Good call. What kind of amp/sub combination are you looking into, outlandr?
    - F r a n z

sickboy: good point. what's a good source for eclipse hu's ? i'm leaning towards the higher end pioneer's, which are all remarkably cheap ... i like ordering from crutchfield, but i've found some great deals on here. awaiting pics

as for the amp/sub, i'm not looking to kill anyone or go deaf prematurely, so i think i would be well served by a pair of 10's ... though i REALLY like the look of the spare tire enclosure - anyone have experience with sound quality on this one? i considered a basslink, but i think that would make me angry after awhile ... a big thing for me is removability, since i like to autoX on the weekends.

thanks for the pointers all...
    03 silver sedan...stock

Cone area does not have much to do with going deaf. I have two 10" subs hooked up to a 500W amp and they boom quite well. The deafening effect depends on how much power the subs receive. You could even go with 8" subs since they are smaller and lighter. My friend had a Rockford Fosgate 8" sub that sounded really good.
    - F r a n z

Originally posted by outlandr23
    sickboy: good point. what's a good source for eclipse hu's ? i'm leaning towards the higher end pioneer's, which are all remarkably cheap ... i like ordering from crutchfield, but i've found some great deals on here. awaiting pics

as for the amp/sub, i'm not looking to kill anyone or go deaf prematurely, so i think i would be well served by a pair of 10's ... though i REALLY like the look of the spare tire enclosure - anyone have experience with sound quality on this one? i considered a basslink, but i think that would make me angry after awhile ... a big thing for me is removability, since i like to autoX on the weekends.

thanks for the pointers all...

If I recall correctly, Eclipse can not be sold online or through a catalog (i think). So you'd have to go to a shop OR ebay. I picked up my head unit brand new, factory sealed, for about $400 on ebay. I remember a shop quoting me $650. Eclipse is known to not like being jolted, but the newer ones are pretty rock solid. I have a truck with a stiff suspension and it very rarely ever skips b/c of a road bump.

As for your subs. I have two 8" JL's and it's more than enough to make me deaf AND I'm not really pushing them that hard. I always thought my friends single 10" sounded better, but his was in a Grand Cherokee, un-obstructed. Mine are pinned right behind my seat. If you don't want to go deaf, I think one 10" is more than enough. The can hit pretty damn loud.

Again... good luck with it! I have my truck, so the WRX is staying stock audio wise.

Thanks for the advice - I was wondering why I couldn't find Eclipse decks online! Any experience with their voice activated GPS system? And is the quality that much better to justify the added cost over, say, the comparable Pioneer units?

I like the idea of one 10". Lightweight, and fairly easy to remove on race days.

Thanks
    03 silver sedan...stock

I got the pretty cheap Sony xplods (and I have the subaru sub under the passenger's seat) and it's a definite improvement, but not really dramatic. I'm still trying to replicate the sound of the stock system that came with my Passat, which was surprisingly really good compared to the crap that sub seems to put in cars. My parents have two outbacks, one 1997 and one top of the line 2001 and the stereos suck too.

Originally posted by outlandr23
    Thanks for the advice - I was wondering why I couldn't find Eclipse decks online! Any experience with their voice activated GPS system? And is the quality that much better to justify the added cost over, say, the comparable Pioneer units?

I like the idea of one 10". Lightweight, and fairly easy to remove on race days.

Thanks
    Never used the GPS so I can't help you there.

As for quality vs. $$$. I guess it all depends on how into music you get. A friend of mine has an Eclipse like mine, but I think his is a 5V, not an 8V, and I can tell the difference when I'm in his Ranger. Of course, we using different amps and speaks, but still, I can hear the clarity of my system when it's cranked.

Like I said, it depends how INTO music you are and how loud you're going to play it. If you're not trying to make your ears bleed, you wouldn't have to worry about an 8V head unit, since those are meant to be amp'd up. I however, love music, and love it loud. It's all personal preference.

Are you running an amp to everything, or just your sub? Eclipse have no power supply, you know that right? In that case, you need an amp for everything. If you're just looking for a head unit that provides its own power, and then another amp for your sub, go another brand. There are a lot of quality HUs. Pioneer is one of them.

Hope this helps.

Yes, I would have to second the vote for Pioneer head units if you want a head unit with a built-in amplifier of some sort.
    - F r a n z

I recently purchased a pair of 6.5" MB Quart Discus' for my fronts and a pair of 4" JLs (with 4", does it even matter?). I had to custom make some 1" spacers for the MBs up front because of the larger magnet depth, but wow, I'm really impressed with the sound. I'm running a stock HU and didn't really care to upgrade. I'm on the road quite a bit, and didn't want to sacrifice losing the 6 CD changer up front. I'm also running one of those lil XM Satellite radio receivers out of the space below the ash try, and am really happy with that. As far as the replacement HU/speaker question, I dunno, but getting the MB Quarts has worked just fine for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast