Improving Sound Quality

This is a discussion on Improving Sound Quality within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have noticed some people replacing their car batteries with ones that are supposed to make cars with lots of ...

Question Improving Sound Quality

I have noticed some people replacing their car batteries with ones that are supposed to make cars with lots of of audio equipment sound better. Optima makes a yellow battery that is supposed to help in this way. Does anyone think it's worth replacing the stock battery for better sound?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

unless you are running multiple amps/subs/etc., a better battery won't really do anything for the sound. now don't get me wrong, the optima batteries are very good quality and help w/modded systems, but i doubt you notice a sound quality difference

Thanks for the info. I guess more mod money saved.

Or, if you want your electrical system to perform better, that's usually when you upgrade your battery. My head lights were dimming horribly when the bass hit (I have a 500W amp..) so I could have gotten a better battery but instead I just got a capacitor since that was cheaper for me and my battery isn't very old. Even better batteries than the Optimas are the batteries made by car audio manufacturers. I've heard that they can provide more power, but I haven't tried one yet since they are more expensive.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

bambams247
    Car audio batteries will improve somewhat, but not too much, they are meant to be an add-on, not a replacement. The subaru batery is a nice panasonic and it works great. Just get a cap or 2 and should take care of the problems.

As for making your sound better get a new head unit (the subaru one SUCKS!), a set of speakers, 2 amps, and a sub. An alpine system should be nice. If you have any question feel free to ask!

Originally posted by bambams247
    As for making your sound better get a new head unit (the subaru one SUCKS!), a set of speakers, 2 amps, and a sub. An alpine system should be nice. If you have any question feel free to ask!
    I understand you need to relplace the stock head unit, but, I like the six disk changer so what speakers make a good replacement if you are keeping the stock head?
    02 WRX BASE BOUGHT 8/12/03
    window tint, omori boost gauge w/hks pod, joep mbc (15psi) Kuhmo 712s(225/50), eibach springs, gutted up-pipe

get a batcap cell battery which weights about 10lb's. You can save lots of weight and get better power.
    Did you know that it is anatomically impossible to lick your elbow? And that 75% of the people who read that, try it.

bambams247
    Optima Red Top battery is the way to go! Its what im getting!

optimas arent real gell cells. They are a rip off.
    Did you know that it is anatomically impossible to lick your elbow? And that 75% of the people who read that, try it.

bambams247
    Originally posted by doniguan
    optimas arent real gell cells. They are a rip off.
    If you drive your car everyday u will have problems with those bataries. Red Top is an everyday car that has high performance sound and 12v.

Originally posted by TOYCLOSER
    I understand you need to relplace the stock head unit, but, I like the six disk changer so what speakers make a good replacement if you are keeping the stock head?
    The current speakers are not bad for the existing HU. You'll want more power so you'd need an amp that would take speaker level signals, many of them will.

I can understand your fondness for the 6 disc changer cause it's kind of nice and factory looking. But remember that for just a couple of hundred you can get an MP3 CD deck that will play a disc with the equivelent of over 10 CDs on it. That's definitely pretty cool. My 6 disc changer/HU is laying on my floor with the four mounting screws taped to the top of it.
    Mmmmm Kitty,,, the other red meat.

Please note: no cats were harmed in any way during the making of this post. But there is always later.

know how to make your kitty go woof? little gasoline and a match!!
    02 WRX BASE BOUGHT 8/12/03
    window tint, omori boost gauge w/hks pod, joep mbc (15psi) Kuhmo 712s(225/50), eibach springs, gutted up-pipe

Originally posted by TOYCLOSER
    know how to make your kitty go woof? little gasoline and a match!!
    Yep, that's how we cook'em in Texas.
    Mmmmm Kitty,,, the other red meat.

Please note: no cats were harmed in any way during the making of this post. But there is always later.

yeah i agree with changing the cd player. most the the sound system issues are with the stock HU. you will notice some improvment with a set aftermarket speakers but you would not believe the difference when you put a nice cd player in even on the stock speakers.
    2002 Silver WRX with:

TurboXS MBC @ 15.5, Kartboy Short Shifter, Kartboy Shift Bushings, Godspeed Uppipe, Custom 3" Turboback Exhaust with 4" Bellmouth and Flowmaster Muffler, Eibach Springs, Diablo C9 18" Rims, Wings West body Kit and Wing

the real "thing" about all optima batteries, red, blue and yellow is that they can recharge faster with their centrifically wounded plates. The red tops are not necessary capable of handling more power draw demands. They can just recharge faster than conventional batteries. Also, the dont leak...

the steps I would recommend for sound upgrades:

1. Deck (dont forget a changer!)
    2. Speakers (seperates up front and nice coax in the back).
    3. more power (too much is never enough).

As far as brands...go with whatever sounds good to YOU!! and of course your budget. This is what I did, I took some familiar CD's and went and auditioned high end home speakers (more than one brand). Get a feel for what good sound is and apply it to your car. It probably wont even come close...but it is WAY better than stock.
    "Failure is only an option for those who try".