Wrx Car-Puter Install
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Wrx Car-Puter Install within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This is a project still being worked on but I thought I would share some pics and info. It's a ...

Wrx Car-Puter Install

This is a project still being worked on but I thought I would share some pics and info. It's a full blown home computer set up in my car.

Under Driver's Seat:

Amd Athlon 1800+
    512 MB ddr ram
    45 GB IBM 7500rpm Hard Drive
    Sound Blaster (16 pci for now, soon to be audigy)
    Elsa Gladiac 128 MB GeForce 2 Ultra Vid Card
    ABit Motherboard (can't remember model #)

Under Passenger Seat:

Enermax Whisper 420watt power supply
    Cheap power inverter (soon to be upgraded)

Other Things (just floating around for now):

Samsung 16x DVD Drive
    Gyration Ultra Cordless Optical Suite (Keyboard & Mouse)

Display:

Xenarc 7" widescreen Display (Touchscreen)

The rest to be installed is stereo equipment to go with it, except for a wireless G router for my cable modem, and a wireless lan card for the car-puter for file sharing with my home computer and internet access when I park in driveway.

anyways, here are the pics. Just click on the thumbnails for a bigger one and please excuse my shots of the screen with it running they are very blurry, I couldn't figure out how to get it to come out clear without flash. Let me know what you guys think.

BTW - It all works really well after a few initial bugs were worked out.

Kevin's Wrx Car Puter

Kevin

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

gfx
    That is *really* cool. Well done

Sweet idea! I'm such a nerd that this would be nirvana! Now you just need wireless 'net access and you'd truly be MOBILE!
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Darnit I want to do this but I need more $$$.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

Interesting.... I guess you're doing it the hard way. Uh, wouldn't it be a lot easier to use a laptop with a wireless keyboard/mouse, wireless network card, and a car adapter? You can output it to a tv adapter to watch it on a seperate lcd tv screen. Just a thought.

Originally posted by Speedstars
    Interesting.... I guess you're doing it the hard way. Uh, wouldn't it be a lot easier to use a laptop with a wireless keyboard/mouse, wireless network card, and a car adapter? You can output it to a tv adapter to watch it on a seperate lcd tv screen. Just a thought.
    My thoughts exactly when I saw the open MB susceptible to all kinds of stuff.... especially static electricity!
    2005 Forrester XT premium

The reason I didn't use a laptop is because I didn't want to be limited to what the laptop was and not be able to upgrade/change a bunch of things without upgrading to a new laptop. The motherboard is fairly out in the open but it is mounted on a casing and I plan on adding some other casing to it, but it is fine for now. Thanks for the replies guys, it was a fun project to work on.

Kevin

It is a great idea and looks decently done...only...

GET A CASE! You're asking for trouble just letting it sit out like that.

Whats the use of something that powerful in your car? I mean, it isn't that powerful, but still. 512 megs of ram? SB Live Audigy? How comfortable would it be to sit and play <insert any game here> in your car? Not to mention on a 7" LCD screen. And why sit in your driveway and surf the internet? For wardriving it's a good idea though.

What is the box in the spot where the clock was?

the reason I have those parts in my car is that I had them sitting around from upgrading my computer here. I don't really want it for the purpose of surfing the web in the driveway. The whole wireless network is mainly so I can share files with my home computer. Surfing while sitting parked in the driveway just won't be that exciting when I could just go inside and do it. I didn't really do it for a purpose except for the ability to play any of my songs whenever I want and because it sounded like a fun project.
    Btw, the thing where the clock used to be is an EQ\line driver.

thanks for all the responses guys I will post updates as I finish things up

Kevin

I remember somewhere seeing some noiseless computers in really small boxes. didn't have the best processors, but they could play mp3's just fine I bet. probably smaller then the sub/amp that subaru sells so it would easily fit under the seat and be completely sealed in. Plus I would get a wireless keyboard and mouse nice job though with using what you got.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

I was thinking about building a rackmount computer at one time and using it as an mp3 player, never got around to it though.

thats awsome
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

Pretty cool. The only thing I would worry about it the hard drive. I'm not too sure if 7200rpm drives are made to withstand much vibration. I think the 4200rpm laptop drives can take a little more abuse.
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.