Wrx Car-Puter Install

This is a discussion on Wrx Car-Puter Install within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This is a project still being worked on but I thought I would share some pics and info. It's a ...

Wrx Car-Puter Install

This is a project still being worked on but I thought I would share some pics and info. It's a full blown home computer set up in my car.

Under Driver's Seat:

Amd Athlon 1800+
    512 MB ddr ram
    45 GB IBM 7500rpm Hard Drive
    Sound Blaster (16 pci for now, soon to be audigy)
    Elsa Gladiac 128 MB GeForce 2 Ultra Vid Card
    ABit Motherboard (can't remember model #)

Under Passenger Seat:

Enermax Whisper 420watt power supply
    Cheap power inverter (soon to be upgraded)

Other Things (just floating around for now):

Samsung 16x DVD Drive
    Gyration Ultra Cordless Optical Suite (Keyboard & Mouse)

Display:

Xenarc 7" widescreen Display (Touchscreen)

The rest to be installed is stereo equipment to go with it, except for a wireless G router for my cable modem, and a wireless lan card for the car-puter for file sharing with my home computer and internet access when I park in driveway.

anyways, here are the pics. Just click on the thumbnails for a bigger one and please excuse my shots of the screen with it running they are very blurry, I couldn't figure out how to get it to come out clear without flash. Let me know what you guys think.

BTW - It all works really well after a few initial bugs were worked out.

Kevin's Wrx Car Puter

Kevin

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

gfx
    That is *really* cool. Well done

Sweet idea! I'm such a nerd that this would be nirvana! Now you just need wireless 'net access and you'd truly be MOBILE!
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Darnit I want to do this but I need more $$$.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

Interesting.... I guess you're doing it the hard way. Uh, wouldn't it be a lot easier to use a laptop with a wireless keyboard/mouse, wireless network card, and a car adapter? You can output it to a tv adapter to watch it on a seperate lcd tv screen. Just a thought.

Originally posted by Speedstars
    Interesting.... I guess you're doing it the hard way. Uh, wouldn't it be a lot easier to use a laptop with a wireless keyboard/mouse, wireless network card, and a car adapter? You can output it to a tv adapter to watch it on a seperate lcd tv screen. Just a thought.
    My thoughts exactly when I saw the open MB susceptible to all kinds of stuff.... especially static electricity!
    2005 Forrester XT premium

The reason I didn't use a laptop is because I didn't want to be limited to what the laptop was and not be able to upgrade/change a bunch of things without upgrading to a new laptop. The motherboard is fairly out in the open but it is mounted on a casing and I plan on adding some other casing to it, but it is fine for now. Thanks for the replies guys, it was a fun project to work on.

Kevin

It is a great idea and looks decently done...only...

GET A CASE! You're asking for trouble just letting it sit out like that.

Whats the use of something that powerful in your car? I mean, it isn't that powerful, but still. 512 megs of ram? SB Live Audigy? How comfortable would it be to sit and play <insert any game here> in your car? Not to mention on a 7" LCD screen. And why sit in your driveway and surf the internet? For wardriving it's a good idea though.

What is the box in the spot where the clock was?

the reason I have those parts in my car is that I had them sitting around from upgrading my computer here. I don't really want it for the purpose of surfing the web in the driveway. The whole wireless network is mainly so I can share files with my home computer. Surfing while sitting parked in the driveway just won't be that exciting when I could just go inside and do it. I didn't really do it for a purpose except for the ability to play any of my songs whenever I want and because it sounded like a fun project.
    Btw, the thing where the clock used to be is an EQ\line driver.

thanks for all the responses guys I will post updates as I finish things up

Kevin

I remember somewhere seeing some noiseless computers in really small boxes. didn't have the best processors, but they could play mp3's just fine I bet. probably smaller then the sub/amp that subaru sells so it would easily fit under the seat and be completely sealed in. Plus I would get a wireless keyboard and mouse nice job though with using what you got.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

I was thinking about building a rackmount computer at one time and using it as an mp3 player, never got around to it though.

thats awsome
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

Pretty cool. The only thing I would worry about it the hard drive. I'm not too sure if 7200rpm drives are made to withstand much vibration. I think the 4200rpm laptop drives can take a little more abuse.
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you