fiberglassing question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on fiberglassing question within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i started building my custom sub box today. I got like maybe 8 cubic feet of glass mat, and resin. ...

fiberglassing question

i started building my custom sub box today. I got like maybe 8 cubic feet of glass mat, and resin. I mixed the resin with the hardener in the right proportion...or so i thought. I got back tonight from being out, and the resin is still wet!! Does it take a while for the resin to dry..it is cool out now, but was probobly 60s when i was glassing. If i screwed up on the hardener is there a way to fix the problem, can i paint over the old resin with new resin with hardener and resin mixed properly, and will that innitiate the chemical reaction in the old resin..cause that glass mat was sooooo expensive and i dont wanna have to rip it all up and start over.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

LOL, I did the same thing the first time I tried to fiberglass some kick pods for my Accord. I followed the mixing instructions and after 24 hrs it still hadn't kicked over.

You can try mixing up a 'HOT' batch of resin and it might cause the old resin to kick over.

I normally use a small coffee can to mix up the resin. Fill the can with resin and add about a 1/2 - 3/4 a tube of the liquid hardener. This ratio will give you about 5 min of work time before the resin starts to gel up and harden. I normally buy the resin buy the gallon (It's cheaper) and at least 5 extra tubes of liquid hardener (they are usually $0.99 each).

Good luck.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

ahh im gonna try that today once it starts to warm up a bit its still kinda early. How many layers of fiberglass and resin should i need to make a sturdy structure? I think im going to pick up some dynamat actually to use as a layer, so that its a little bit thicker or somthing, i dont know how much dynamat im going to need...this box right now as is is around 3.5 cubic feet of space in the spare tire well, ill remeasure again before i buy my sub, but i think im going to go for a 15 incher, i have a 12 inch sub rig ht now and it really lacks some of the real lows that i love.

Yeah, I've seen guys use Dynamat between the layers of fiberglass, but I usually just put a couple of layers on the inside of the enclosure once the resin has cured.

As a general rule of thumb, 1/2" of fiberglass has about the same strength as 1" of MFD. I make mine much thicker, at least 1". Your sub box can never be too strong
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.