Anyone use photo radar protectors
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Anyone use photo radar protectors within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Getting ready to buy my radar detector and came across this little gadget: http://www.radar-detectors.com/produ...-Protector.asp Wouldn't the cop get a wee ...

Anyone use photo radar protectors

Getting ready to buy my radar detector and came across this little gadget: http://www.radar-detectors.com/produ...-Protector.asp Wouldn't the cop get a wee bit pissed if he saw this on your plate? Nice idea though

Does anyone here use a laser jammer instead of (or with) a radar dectector? TIA
    Last edited by Ibizan; 05-18-2003 at 04:33 AM.
    I saw a woman wearing a sweat shirt with "Guess" on it. So I said "Implants?"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Looks like a plastic cover to me. 4.99 at any wal-mart. Dont know about saving you from tickets, but looks nice.
    "Well kids you tried and didn't succeed, the important thing to remember here is...... Never Try." - Homer

if you live in an area where they use cameras to mail you a speeding ticket or running a stop light that is what it is for. as for pissing of a cop, just think, do they ever worry about pissin' you off?
    Today's blessing

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest
    the crotch of the person who f***s up your day and
    may their arms be too short to scratch.
    AMEN

yup got a flat smoked one on mine...
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

Actually I think these are different then the ones you buy at your local stores. I have seen them in person. At a certain angle the light get reflected back so you can't see through it. Think of it this way. You have a car in front of you and in the right lane. You are driving past it in the left lane, as you come up on it you can see the numbers, then you get to about a 45% angle and the numbers disapear. Then you get a little closer and they reapear. Only at a certain angle will they be hidden. What it looks like is whats in the pictures you see in that link. Its like a silver rectangle around the numbers and you cant see through it until you look at it from a different angle. The angle is probably set so that it hides the numbers right where cameras usually take the picture.

I just have some smoked oness on my car now too, but if you use a flash or something then it will go right through that smoked lens. I just have the smoked ones because its harder for the normal eye to see, but for a camera with a flash it won't matter.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

I agree about the light refraction capabilities. I'm moving to Wisconsin so I'll see if photo radar is used. Personally I think they're worth it. Here in Australia photo radar brings in countless millions of dollars in revenue. They even post the locations of the speed cameras on the evening news but no one pays much attention to it. They're picky here as well, most cameras only give you a 1 mph buffer over the limit. The photo radar plate covers are illegal here and the fine is huge so it's worth simply getting the ticket.

Nice to know that the plate covers are available in the States
    I saw a woman wearing a sweat shirt with "Guess" on it. So I said "Implants?"

Are these illegal? I mean whats the situation with the police on this? Surely they won't like it

Different

I have what is supposed to "diffuse" laser light. One side of the "clear" shield is smooth and one side is rough. Per the directions, the smooth side faces the plate. I live in NJ where laser radar(lasar) is not in widespread use but where some state troopers use it. I will say this, I have NEVER received a speeding ticket from being "laser-tagged". And once my laser detector picked up a cop shooting the laser at my car, he didn't come after me, but he was parked in a strange spot, where he couldn't just hit the gas and come get me, so I think he was testing the gun.

The shield cost me 19.99 from some website. Does it work? Who knows, but 19.99 isn't a huge chunk o' change and at the very least it keeps my plate in ok shape !!!

can't speak for the legality in all states, but i know at least in the northeast/mid-atlantic, it's completely illegal to put anything on your license plate that in any way changes its appearance or makes it more difficult to read. if it's clear, it's ok - anything else, and your cop bait. now, whether they actually mess with you for it is something different. but they can.
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

So what about something that's sort of clear? In DC, they have at least two dozen red light and speed cameras. Whole city is on film. I want to get me one of those, but I don't know how much unnecessary hassle it might cause.

Thumbs down Cost me

I bought this exact same item off of eBay, forget how much. Anyway it cost me a $50 ticket saying that I obstructed the view to my license plate. They are now sitting in my trunk; I had one for the front and rear. Cop told me he was going to give me a break and only give me a ticket for the rear. I also checked to see if it works and I climbed up a Photo Red Light camera pole while my car was parked in the intersection (3 am) and could still see my plate #'s.
    www.ray.wroten.com/interest.htm

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.