2004 WRX Stereo Questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2004 WRX Stereo Questions within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm thinking of replacing the HU in my 04 WRX. (just picked it up on Thursday!!) I searched but didn't ...

Question 2004 WRX Stereo Questions

I'm thinking of replacing the HU in my 04 WRX. (just picked it up on Thursday!!) I searched but didn't find the answers I need...

1. I got the upgraded speakers and amp/sub combo. Is the sub wired in such a way that it would be usable with an aftermarket HU? Ie, would a wiring harness from Crutchfield cover the sub as well as the speakers?

2. Crutchfield doesn't have the 04 WRX listed yet; however, they do list the 03. Is the stereo setup in the 04 the same as or similar to the 03?

3. One of my primary motivations for a new HU is MP3 support. I found a nice double DIN Kenwood unit. According to Crutchfield, it will fit the 03 WRX with the stock brackets and what-not. (hence question #2) What do you think of this model?

Kenwood DPX-MP4030

A nice thing about getting the Kenwood is that it would very easy to hook up their 20GB HD setup at some future date.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails h113dpx4030-f.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: 2004 WRX Stereo Questions

Originally posted by hozed
    A nice thing about getting the Kenwood is that it would very easy to hook up their 20GB HD setup at some future date.
    Yeah, you're talking about the Kenwood Keg system with the removable hard drive. I'm also considering a replacement HU on my 04 WRX (pick it up next month) because of mp3 support. I'll probably wait until the Keg and other hard drive based systems (e.g. Rockford's Omnifi) are out to see how they fare in the real world. By then the price of the Kenwood DPX-MP4030 should drop as well

Good luck in your hunt. I'd be interested to see what you do so drop a post when you make a decision (I may just cave and buy one as well)
    I saw a woman wearing a sweat shirt with "Guess" on it. So I said "Implants?"

Anybody know the speaker sizes in the 04? Are they the same as 03?

My most important question is #2. If the stereo setup in the 04 is identical to the 03, then the answer to #1 is yes. (according to Crutchfield)

So... anybody? Is the stereo setup in the 04 the same as the 03?

Thanks!

Sorry that I can't answer your question. As far as I know they're the same(not sure). But, how much did you see that head unit go for?
    "You have a sunburn, mmm, like chokolada, ahhh, it's you, me and Pina Colada."

Limehatless Avatar - I'm a trend scoffer.
    I would assume they're the same.

I wonder if I could buy someone's stock HU... and the new trim...

Vostok 7
    BUGEYE 4 LYFE! Or uh maybe not

RIP Team Intrinsic Viva la Project 1! http://www.prjct1.com/

2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 4EAT Aspen White "Akane"
    Mod List, Picts

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Sedan Aspen White "Akane II"

Originally posted by Vostok 7
    I would assume they're the same.

I wonder if I could buy someone's stock HU... and the new trim...

Vostok 7
    Emailed my dealer... said he knows of no changes... ie, it seems to be the same stereo in 02, 03, and now 04.

Originally posted by Hah72215
    But, how much did you see that head unit go for?
    Crutchfield $450

Etronics $309

Bedford Gifts $299

Here's the link to the current Epinions page for that unit... --> clicky <--

Crutchfield is more expensive, but they're the only Authorized Retailer in the list. Low price vs. Warranty.

Yeah it's great unless something breaks. I would definitely get a warranty on the head unit.. there's a lot of stuff that can go wrong over time. Hooking up the sub/amp combo depends on the inputs the amp within the combo has. I'm not sure if they are RCA or something else. If they are RCA, you're good to go with an aftermarket head unit.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

By the way, a wiring harness would just be for the head unit to connect the antenna, power, ground, etc. There aren't special wiring harnesses that I am aware of for certain subs or speakers. They pretty much connect universally.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

Assuming everything is wired like the 03, Crutchfield says the amp/sub combo is wired along with the rest of the speaker connections. So, whatever wireing harness they include should take care of it. The only thing he notred was that the HU's turn-on lead needs to be connected to the stock amp/sub. I'm assuming there's a lead behind the stock HU that is meant for this purpose.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.