How valuable are heated seats?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on How valuable are heated seats? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; How many of you folks have heated seats and are they worth it? I just ordered my 04 WRX wagon. ...

Question How valuable are heated seats?

How many of you folks have heated seats and are they worth it?

I just ordered my 04 WRX wagon. The OEM heated seats are only available on the sedan but the dealer said he could install them for me for $450. I've never sat in a car that's had them.

I'll be moving to Wisconsin so I can appreciate the arctic winters my arse will be facing but if it's already cold wouldn't you drive with the heater on? If you have heated seats do you first take off your winter coat for the fear of sweating your nads off?

Any advice about whether to go with the seats or to put the money elsewhere would be great. TIA
    I saw a woman wearing a sweat shirt with "Guess" on it. So I said "Implants?"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

To turn the question around, If I was to get another WRX would I get the heated seats??? Definately! I also have a remote start on the car, so I push a button in the winter, let the car warm up for about 4 minutes then head out. When I sit in the car the seats are "room temperature" no frozen butt here. If you keep them on , they get pretty hot on high, but very comfortable on low.
    A little side note... My girlfriend is about 105 pounds, and the cold gets to her quickly (no insulation) She usually keeps the heaters on high, they have a cut-off point where they turn off for a few minutes, then warm up again. This is perfect because you won't have problems with the heater conductors burning themselves out (like many VW's)

So in retrospect...
    Get the heaters if you live where it gets cold.
    Get the heaters if you have leather seats.
    Get the heaters if you can afford the extra $.
    Get the heaters if you have a skinny girl.

Oh, and when I got the heated seats, They also came with heated side mirrors, and a heated windshield.
    Press any key to continue........Where's the any key?

Originally posted by pmartell12
    I also have a remote start on the car, so I push a button in the winter, let the car warm up for about 4 minutes then head out...
    Hmmm...do you have a manual tranny? I once read you shouldn't get auto-starters with manuals due to the likelihood of it being in gear when you park it.

Thanks though for the rationale on getting the heated seats. Sounds like it's worth the $450 (only live once).

Not to Hijack the thread, but you started the thread so I guess that it's OK.
    The remote start has a sequence on shutdown so that it won't launch upon remote start.

When I pull into the driveway, i put the car in Neutral and pull the e-brake. This unlocks the doors. Next I take the key out (not toucing the brake pedal) and the car keeps running.
    I get out of the car (keys in hand/car running) and close the door.
    The car runs for 3 seconds(can be switched form 3 sec/ 4min./ 6min.) Then the car shuts off, 2 sec. later the doors lock.
    If i open the doors after this, the remote start will be dis-abled until the next time I go through the shut-down sequence.

So If you are interested in this Upgraded alarm/ remote start/ turbo timer device contact your Subaru dealer. The dealer in Thunder Bay, Ontario told me that this is the only remote start that Subaru will not void your warranty with (sales pitch)

P.S. this cost me $500.00 Canadaian installed incl. taxes. It comes with 2 remotes and the 2 remotes that the car comes with will still unlock/disarm the alarm giving you 4 remotes (only 2 can remote start though)

Originally posted by pmartell12
    Not to Hijack the thread, but you started the thread so I guess that it's OK.
    No worries mate, it's a nice segue and it compliments the heated seats. Here in balmy Australia my warm-weathered arse will be in your debt when I move to Wisconsin
    P.S. this cost me $500.00 Canadaian installed incl. taxes. It comes with 2 remotes and the 2 remotes that the car comes with will still unlock/disarm the alarm giving you 4 remotes (only 2 can remote start though)
    Sounds like a really good deal especially when you convert the currency, what is that, like $20 American

I'm emailing my dealer now. Thanks for the mod tip

tan
    I will not own another car without heated seats

hmmm

I think they are over-rated, unless you have leather seats. Had them on a couple cars, and I could care less.
    03' WRX, 00'ah6

Re: hmmm

Originally posted by braticus
    I think they are over-rated, unless you have leather seats. Had them on a couple cars, and I could care less.
    I don't have leather seats so I'm not sure how much a difference it will make.

I think you meant to say "I couldn't care less". It's amazing how many people misuse that phrase

zipity here, zipity there, i'm zipity everywhere...
    i had them on my old car, with leather, and i just never really used them. the chicks really dig it though but then, you're married, so scratch that

Okay, then let me ask you this. If you had the choice between heated seats or a paint protection program such as RockBlocker, StonGard, X-Pel, etc which would you go with?

I can't afford to go with both, and they cost roughly the same, but each has their merits. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

they are definitely worth it if you live in a colder climate area. Just keep in mind they do add the extra pounds thou..
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

Originally posted by Nexus6
    they are definitely worth it if you live in a colder climate area...
    I'll be moving to Wisconsin with those god-awful arctic winters so I can appreciate the need for the seats.

My wife is countering with the argument that we'd only use them for a few months out of the year while a paint protection system works every time I'm on the road. Damn her and her XX chromosome logic

I think that the wife has you on that one, but since the seats are installed by the dealer, and it is going to be warm for the next few months.... maybe you should get the paint protection film now, then if funds are available in September have the heaters installed then.
    Best of both worlds.

By the way, I had both heaters on last night!!!

what about the '03's???

i pick up my '03 rex tomorrow and was wondering if anyone knows if i could get the heated seats on it... i know its not an option for '03, but are there aftermarkets??? or should i ask the dealer if they can put em on??? im moving to the chicago area soon and i really want them!!!

Yeah, Wisconsin gets cooooold. I wish I had heated seats even though they are cloth.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast