Simple question - Varad LED scanner, the yellow wire

This is a discussion on Simple question - Varad LED scanner, the yellow wire within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Let me just preface this with the fact that I have searched for about an hour with no useful information, ...

Simple question - Varad LED scanner, the yellow wire

Let me just preface this with the fact that I have searched for about an hour with no useful information, here, i-club and nasioc.

I purchased a Varad 7-Led bi-color scanner. It has 3 outputs, the ground and positive are simple. It's the yellow wire that is giving me trouble.

I am not able to find out where I tap into so that the scanner only comes on when I turn on the stock alarm. Which wire is hot only when the alarm is activated? Is there an accessory output on the alarm module that I can use?

I know that I have the option to tap into the green ignition wire. I don't want to do it this way because the scanner will come on any time the car is off, not only when the alarm is activated. The main reason I want this is to have visual confirmation from a distance that the alarm is on.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    '04 BMW 325ci

But I still have plenty of love for Subaru.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

hmmm

do you have a multimeter? go in ur car set that alarm and test the wires coming out of the controller box...

Re: hmmm

Originally posted by aaronwillen
    do you have a multimeter? go in ur car set that alarm and test the wires coming out of the controller box...
    Funny you should say that, I did exactly that when I got back from work yesterday. Tested every pin on the alarm module. Each wire did not change status depending on whether or not the alarm was armed. In other words, the hot wires stayed hot and the neutral wires stayed neutral, no matter what.

It's all good though, I ended up hooking the yellow trigger wire to the radio fuse (Meaning that the scanner comes on whenever the key is removed from the ignition instead of coming on when the alarm is armed). I managed to mount the scanner on my dashboard right in front of the speedo (on the bottom part of the black plastic frame that surrounds the clear plastic window to the guage cluster). It's tucked away nicely, it doesn't block my vision, it's not obnoixous (like if I mounted it on my rearview mirror or something). And I was able to pull the frame around the guage cluster out a bit so I could run the wiring behind the unit down towards the steering column. All the wiring is 100% out of site, just like it should be.

In case any of this sounds vague, I'll take pics 2nite in case someone else decides to add a varad scanner. As for the positive lead, I ran that right to the battery (zip tied to my amp cable). The negative wire was the easiest, to the left of the steering column (when you have the lower dash panel removed) there is a bolt holding two large pieces of metal together (great description huh?) I loosened that up, crimped a U-connector to the end of the black wire, slid the "U" under the bolt, tightened it up, done.

Oh, and how did I connect the yellow wire to the radio fuse? Simple, I stripped about 1/2" of insulaton, pulled out the fuse (fuse puller located in engine compartment fuse box btw), stuck the bare wire down in one of the little sockets and wedged the radio fuse back in.

One more note, don't worry about these things draining your battery, that would take about 2 weeks of uninterupted use. "What if I go on vacation for 2 weeks?"... well then pull out the coin tray and disconnect the yellow wire from the radio fuse, it's just that easy. I chose the bi-color (red & green). I know this is kind of a "bling-bling" mod, but I like it.
    Last edited by WRXin19087; 05-14-2003 at 06:48 AM.
    '04 BMW 325ci

In case anyone is bitten by the bug to get one of these ( I wanted one after I saw them at the Carlisle Custom Compact show). Here's where I got it: Varad VS400C

It's on sale too, eighteen bucks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails millionbuy_1737_9851329.jpg  
    '04 BMW 325ci

i doubt those leds would have enough power consumption to drain your battery in any short amt of time...but i left my rad detector on for a week and i came home to a dead battery...so if you are planning any long 2 week trips id probobly unplug the scanner.

as promised, a pic:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails varad3.jpg  
    '04 BMW 325ci

and another
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails varad4.jpg  
    '04 BMW 325ci

last one, side shot, no wires visible at all
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails varad2.jpg  
    '04 BMW 325ci

Limehatless Avatar - I'm a trend scoffer.
    What exactly does it do?

Vostok 7
    BUGEYE 4 LYFE! Or uh maybe not

RIP Team Intrinsic Viva la Project 1! http://www.prjct1.com/

2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 4EAT Aspen White "Akane"
    Mod List, Picts

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Sedan Aspen White "Akane II"

does it just flash colors to make it look like its an alarm?
    --Jason-- 2004 MT WRB WRX
    Cobb Stage 2 more goodies:
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

if it makes you feel any better if got three of those scannar lights in my car that come on after the car is turned off and the battery didn't drain when i went away for two weeks

Originally posted by Shibby
    does it just flash colors to make it look like its an alarm?
    Yep, that's it.
    '04 BMW 325ci

bambams247
    You can tap intoa wire into the alarm and sure that for the yellow wire. It is the same one that connects to the little LED light that comes with your alarm. CHeck it out.