Factory Turbo Gauge or Aftermarket
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Factory Turbo Gauge or Aftermarket within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Quick question. I'm about to go put a deposit down on an 04 WRX. My questions are: (1) Is it ...

Factory Turbo Gauge or Aftermarket

Quick question. I'm about to go put a deposit down on an 04 WRX. My questions are:

(1) Is it worth getting the factory turbo gauge, or should I go aftermarket. Aftermarket gauges seem to measure in PSI where as the Subi one is measured in MPa's. (Pascals?)

(2) How do MPa's and PSI's relate?

(3) I plan on upgrading with either a boost controller or getting the ECU flashed. Either way, I'm looking at higher boost. I heard that the WRX can up to 16PSI on the stock injectors, is this right?

(4) Also, the on the factory turbo gauge is 15 MPa's. Not sure how that relates to PSIs and if 16 will be measurable.

Thanks ahead of time for answering this New-B's questions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

God
    Definately do NOT get the factory gauge. It's cheap looking and doesn't work very well at all. 14.7 psi=1 bar. The WRX can take 16 psi or more esily BUT it doesn't net you any more power due to the ECU pulling timing back. Now it varies car to car. Some can take 16.8 PSI and others only 15.2 before detonating so I suggest you leave it at 15 PSI or so to start if you don't tune it on the dyno. Instead of reflashing the ECU I'd go with a UTEC as it has a lot more safety features built in and can be retuned by you if need be later on. Much better investment and cheaper in the long run if you plan on other mods.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

Originally posted by God
    Instead of reflashing the ECU I'd go with a UTEC as it has a lot more safety features built in and can be retuned by you if need be later on. Much better investment and cheaper in the long run if you plan on other mods.
    Since I'm new to all this, could you explain a little more about the difference between reflashing the ECU amd going with a UTEC. What exactly is a UTEC? Also, does it affect my warranty, and if it does, is it easy to remove/install/remove/install, so the dealer won't know?

Thanks again.

Reflashing would be reprogramming the computer, adding a UTEC (User Tunable Engine Computer; www.turboxs.com) would be attaching an auxillary computer to the stock one to control Fuel, Timing, and boost. This tunability will allow you to tune vavious settings yourself if need be, or have somone tune if for you. Both would affect the warranty, but the UTEC is easily removable, I dn about the reflash though.

Originally posted by CKxx
    Reflashing would be reprogramming the computer, adding a UTEC (User Tunable Engine Computer; www.turboxs.com) would be attaching an auxillary computer to the stock one to control Fuel, Timing, and boost. This tunability will allow you to tune vavious settings yourself if need be, or have somone tune if for you. Both would affect the warranty, but the UTEC is easily removable, I dn about the reflash though.
    I've never tuned so do I need to have someone tune the UTEC for me, or does it come with a basic mapping?

It comes w/ basemaps, but they are tuned VERY safe (read: rich) and, though good, definatly do not take full advantage of the aftermarjket parts.

If you're looking for gauges, I'd go with the Omori. They measure in PSI and are the only ones that looks similar to the factory gauges - that is yellow needle with green backlight.

Here's where I got mine from - I actually replaced the factory column mount one which didn't match and measures boost in an obscure increment (.mpa)

http://www.j-spectuning.com/product_...c458307329a8fd
    Last edited by RogersWRX; 04-19-2005 at 07:39 AM. Reason: bad link

Originally posted by RogersWRX
    ...I actually replaced the factory column mount one which didn't match and measures boost in an obscure increment (.mpa)

http://www.j-spectuning.com/omori.htm

Can you use the factory wiring to hook up a new one? The one I ordered, unfortunately, is coming with the guage. Now I'm pissed. I'd rather have PSIs so I wouldn't have to convert in my head.

yup, you can use the existing power supply and vacuum hose from the factory gauge to install the Omori. Here a link to the installation instructions

http://www.j-spectuning.com/installs/wrxmechboost.pdf
    Last edited by RogersWRX; 04-19-2005 at 07:42 AM. Reason: bad link

yup, you can use the existing power supply and vacuum hose from the factory gauge to install the Omori. Here a link to the installation instructions

http://www.j-spectuning.com/45mm_column.pdf
    Awesome! One more question... where did you order one from? I can't seem to find one surfing (at least not a Mechanical, 45mm, Black Face, Yellow Needle version).

This is the only place I've seen that has them.

http://www.j-spectuning.com/index.php?cPath=21_24

I was looking for them for a while, but everywhere else had them as discontinued or out-of-stock!! Plus, I've seen them going for $150-200 - this place has them for only $100!!

Great Service - Mine came in yesterday and looks fantastic! - I can't wait to get it installed!!
    Last edited by RogersWRX; 04-19-2005 at 07:42 AM.

http://www.j-spectuning.com/45mm_column.pdf
    Mechanical Gauge, right?

yup, the factory gauge is mechanical, so that's what you'd want to replace it with.

This is the only place I've seen that has them.

I was looking for them for a while, but everywhere else had them as discontinued or out-of-stock!! Plus, I've seen them going for $150-200 - this place has them for only $100!!

Great Service - Mine came in yesterday and looks fantastic! - I can't wait to get it installed!!

I found this site.
    http://www.alamoautosports.com/alamo...tml&lang=en-us

They claim it's like the WRX backlight and ORANGE needle. I thought it was yellow? It a few $ less but I think I'm going to order it from your place just b/c YOU have seen it and can verify the look.

Thanks again for the help! Now I'm stoked. Granted, I f'd up ordering the gauge from Subaru originally, but now that it can be fixed for $100, no worries.

If you're looking for gauges, I'd go with the Omori. They measure in PSI and are the only ones that looks similar to the factory gauges - that is yellow needle with green backlight.

Here's where I got mine from - I actually replaced the factory column mount one which didn't match and measures boost in an obscure increment (.mpa)

(Sorry if someone already asked) Does it block your view of the RPMs? And does this void the warranty? I wonder if the dealer can put this on instead of the OEM one? thanks
    Lucky2003

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.