'04 Gauge cluster
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on '04 Gauge cluster within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Does anyone know if you can swap out the '03 gauge cluster for the '04. It would be nice to ...

Question '04 Gauge cluster

Does anyone know if you can swap out the '03 gauge cluster for the '04. It would be nice to have the tach in the center, if it's possible where could we get it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Subaru would have it Had to say it, good luck with your search, the junk yards wont have any!
    '12 WRB Sedan

Will it work though? Also, I've asked a parts guy @ colonial and he said they don't sell it, so my original question was meant to request a place online that I can purchase it.

Whats the point? Swapping out the cluster will give you one big problem, the miles get reset to 0. Why does having it in the center instead of a few inches right make a difference?

If you MUST have it... try http://www.subaruparts.com/
    '12 WRB Sedan

The point is that I can't see it a few inches to the right. As far as the mileage, cant i just keep that part of the 03 cluster, pop it out or something.

Originally posted by verbal
    Whats the point? Swapping out the cluster will give you one big problem, the miles get reset to 0. Why does having it in the center instead of a few inches right make a difference?
    Are you sure about that? I would think the mileage is embedded deep in some body control module somewhere. I had several displays in my oldsmobile and it always kept the correct mileage.

-Jim

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    Are you sure about that? I would think the mileage is embedded deep in some body control module somewhere. I had several displays in my oldsmobile and it always kept the correct mileage.

-Jim
    I'm 90% sure. Back when nasioc was i-club, I used to lurk. Or maybe I saw the link in a thread here, can't remember.

Somebody was having warranty issues because they swapped their cluster for the STi cluster. For one, the mileage is stored inside the cluster. So new cluster means mileage at 0 or whatever mileage is stored in the new cluster. PLUS the STi cluster is in kilometers. He had all kinds of service issues even though his mileage before the cluster swap was on record at the dealership. They gave him a real hard time. I'm not sure what the end result was.

You said you can't see the tach, even though it's an inch to the right of the speedometer. But if you switched clusters, then you wouldn't be able to see the speedometer. I'm not sure about you, but seeing the speed I'm going is more important than seeing the RPMs I'm at. I've only been driving a stick since October '02, and I can get a pretty good idea of the RPMs by the sound of the car. Why not just get a shift light instead? I think it'll save you a lot of hassle.

Don't get me wrong, if the mileage wasn't stored in the cluster, I'd get the '04 cluster in a second. I like the red needles much better than the yellow.

I've talked to a dealer near me and he said that it can be done and the Gauge Cluster is around $100. He said the odometer can be set to the correct mileage by tuners outside of Subaru for around $60. So for around $160 it can be done, not too bad. I'll be doing it this summer and will post pic's soon after.

not to offend anyone here, but $100 for a gauge cluster (in my experience) is outrageously cheap. there's got to be more to it than this.
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

Originally posted by Lightning
    not to offend anyone here, but $100 for a gauge cluster (in my experience) is outrageously cheap. there's got to be more to it than this.
    I agree. I checked on a cluster for my 99 civic...it was $700 new. I found one at a junk yard for $50. But hey, if it really is $100 I'll be in line to get one!
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you

Hey there is a chance that the Gauge Cluster is more than $100 because the parts department guy only had a '02, '03 in his parts catalog,which he said was $100. That is why I said around $100, but he said '04 could not be that much more. There is no reason to debate the price here, I'm simply relaying what I was told and it seems to be a worth while mod if it is under $200. The guy at Subaru also gave me the name of a local tunning shop that will set the odometer to the correct mileage as well as install it if needed.

If the WRX guage cluster is only that much then how about getting an STI guage cluster. I wonder how much a premium that will be??
    My woman hates the money pit
    2002 WRX Hybrid 2.5L 16G

Why didn't you ask if you could put the '04 cluster in an '02/'03?

If there is actually a place that will change the odometer, and the '04 cluster works in an '02, then I might actually consider this.

A thought, so while your new cluster is at the place to change the odometer, you can't drive your car? I wonder how long it would take them to do it. If it would take them more than a day, that wouldn't be good.

I really don't think it's worth the hassle of losing your warranty, if you still have a lot of warranty left. From what I hear, they aren't very good about keeping records. Or trusting their records.

And why goto the STi cluster when the only differences between the '04 and STi is the STi logo? And maybe a shift light.

The STI has an adjustable shift light Sugoi. Also it has and oil temp gauge I belive, but I assume you need some other things to get that to work as well.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.