High end car alarm

This is a discussion on High end car alarm within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Guys, I know that there has been quite a bit of discussion about the factory car alarm. It is OK ...

Question High end car alarm?

Guys,

I know that there has been quite a bit of discussion about the factory car alarm. It is OK for me at the moment, but I want to put in a really nice stereo, wheels, and lots of other things that are going to attract attention. I live in a gated community, but I don't want to worry when I am out on the town, or on a road trip, or something.

I am willing to spend $500+ dollars. I want a very good alarm. I want 2-stage remote locking and trunk release, but I do not care about remote starting or paging. I would prefer to install it myself, just to take the time to do it carefully and hide everything well. If I knew a truly great installer in the southeast, then I would not mind taking it to them. However, I do not want to deal with the average shop, too many horror stories.

I had a low-end DEI alarm on my last beater, but died after a few years. People have mentioned Alpine. Laptop programmable has definite cool points. I am thinking about getting an Alpine stereo, but I doubt that there is any advantage to having the same brand stereo and alarm. I have seen really crazy alarms on high-end cars that fold the mirrors, and even have their own cellphone. It calls you, and then you can yell at the theives over a second handsfree kit - not the main one you use when driving. Nifty, but way more than I need.

So back to the main question, what/where do I need to get - or is there an awesome installer in FL/GA/AL that I should just go to?
    Last edited by Renn; 05-07-2003 at 06:52 AM.
    Renn