Subaru WRX Forum banner

Radar detector

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  wyowrx 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I looked at all the other threads and everybody seems to be hooking them up under the dome lights. I wanted to run the wires of the radar detector to the A-pillar on the passenger side and splice it in there. I figure from the earlier discussions that the blue wire is the Hot wire (always on) and the red wire is also the hot wire but is on only when the ignition key is turned on. The black wire is ground right? So will I find the red and the black wire in the Passenger side a-pillar? I want the radar detector on only when I turn the engine on.

Also I have a bell detector and it has a power jack. I am guessing I can just cut the power jack away and use either one of the wires for ground and the other for +ve

DuckRide

#2 ·
A friend of mine got a Valentine One and mounted the remote display under the dash cowling where the clock is. He moved the clock to the right, and the V1 display is on the left. Looks like it was meant to be there. Very trick.

The actual V1 unit is up where the little plastic sun visor used to be over the rear-view.

#3 · (Edited)
no you cant use one wire for ground and one for 12v..find out which wire is which before you wire things up! i tried to hardwire my cellphone charger one time and blew the electronics in it cause i wired it up backwards...things such as diodes for example will blow if there is enough voltage in the neg direction

#4 ·
I just got done hardwiring my V1.

It is positioned just above the rvm. I hardwired to the rvm/compass harness. (i didn't get that option, but the harness is up there)

This is where I did it a little backwards... I couldn't figure out which wires would be good to use under the dash for a hot lead for the V1, so I used the rvm/compass harness. However, I ran a hot wire down to where the fuse box is and installed a switch for the V1. Then I just ran the hot wire from the switch to the phone jack adapter that comes with the V1, and the ground for the phone jack adapter to a bolt under the steering column.

I am on my second switch... Make sure you get one with an LED as opposed to an incandecent (sp) light. Mine was getting real hot...

If you search the www.nasioc.com boards for detector install, there are quite a few pics...

Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.