speaker suggestions

This is a discussion on speaker suggestions within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am going to change the speakers this weekend. Which model should I go with and what do you suggest ...

speaker suggestions

I am going to change the speakers this weekend. Which model should I go with and what do you suggest be done with the upgrade? I also have an amp that is going in plus a box with a 12'.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    MB Quart would be my top choice.

I have Infinity Kappa in my car, got them SUPER cheap on ebay or else I would have gone for the MB Quarts. Definitely get seperates up front - I've seen people go for two-ways down low. Not sure if they leave the stock tweets unplugged or what - you lose the crossover when you remove the stock speakers! Losing the crossover screws up the tweets and having your tweets down low pointing at your feet ruins the soundstage and you lose a lot of highs. Definitely spend your money up front. The rears are just fill. You could leave them stock or install some two-ways in the back. My rears have less than half the amp power driving them as my fronts and I still fade two notches to the front to keep that nice "soundstage" up front. If you're getting a sub, don't forget to get crossovers for the fronts at the same freq as the sub. Cutting those low freqs out that they have trouble reproducing does wonders for sound clarity.
    Last edited by GV27; 05-02-2003 at 03:45 PM.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Awesome. Thanks for the details. I am a pet rock when it comes to audio.

Really depends what kind of sound you want from them. MB Quart, Polk and JL Audio are the best imo. MBQ is known for its very crisp sound, good high's - I wouldn't use them as mids, personally. JL Audio are a more midrange speaker. I had JL Audio XR's all the way around in my previous car and it sounded great, but would of prefered a better speaking for the high's. Polk are a great brand, although i've never had them.

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong on any of that as well.
    03 wrx - 300whp/270wtq
    Originally posted by zoophagy
    The people that work there are, for the most part, retards. I used to work there.

I was looking at all three brands. This just supports the decision to do so and makes everything allot easier. Decision time today. I'm going to check out the MB dealer today to see.

Thanks again guys!

I just finished installing some Kenwood Exceleron 6 1/2's in my rear deck. The sound is really clear and low. I did a custom install with fiberglass cups.
    I drilled a small hole in the cup to allow some air flow. The speaker didn't like being in a sealed enclosure.
    I had to mount the speakers in their pods to a piece of wall board, then screw the wall board to the rear deck.
    The back seats came out and I removed the rear dash. I cut the holes in that, then used chicken wire to cover the holes. (at the same time I removed that annoying third brake light) After I stapled the wire to the rear dash, I sprayed adhesive ofer the whole thing and on some material (sub box carpet).
    Press any key to continue........Where's the any key?

MB Quart are sweet speakers, although iirc they have a paper cone. Not sure if that would matter to your or not. It did to me, as I went with JL high's. Also, when I last checked with MBQ, it was paper - mabye not the same now.
    03 wrx - 300whp/270wtq
    Originally posted by zoophagy
    The people that work there are, for the most part, retards. I used to work there.