Car Stereo
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Car Stereo within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; It seems like most pictures I see of peoples cars with engine mods, wheels, body kits, gauges, etc... still have ...

Car Stereo

It seems like most pictures I see of peoples cars with engine mods, wheels, body kits, gauges, etc... still have the stock radio. I know it ain't that bad because it's a six disc changer, but it still ain't that great when compared to a MP3 head unit. Can anyone post a picture of how a single din aftermarket MP3 head unit looks with the universal pocket kit? I'm going to be installing mine soon. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    Just find a 2.5RS or TS. They have a single din with a pocket from the factory...I don't have a picture laying around though

here ya go...I put in the Pioneer mp-7400 ( I think thats what it was), got the MP3 capability (wouldn't get it again though). You would never need to put 150 songs on 1 cd, takes too long to fin what you looking for (IMO)

Nice picture. I guess aftermarket stereos don't fit as well as I thought they would, but such is life. I'll still be installing one anyways. Thanks for posting it.

They don't all fit the same. They are different dimensions. That is just what he did. I know there are some other stereos that fit better. I have seen pics of them somewhere....
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

its definitely true that not all fit the same. This one was a PITA to install, worst part was having to cut the trim piece (wasn't the best job I have ever done) to get the HU to fit. Worst part was I did checking before hand to make sure it would fit, all the sites I checked with said no problem, easy install...always be aware, sometimes its better to call around to find out what fits "no problem" and what will actually fit

Thanks for the info and the warnings. The problem is the STI doesn't come with a stereo and I'm not having the dealer install the one option for $800 which is the regular WRX stereo. So I'm opting for after market. That of course leaves two big questions-cost and install in the double din dash so it looks great, sounds great, and doesn't cost as much as the car itself. I want nav in it too. I want to take the car 'out for a drive'. SFRinNJ

Originally posted by SFRinNJ
    Thanks for the info and the warnings. The problem is the STI doesn't come with a stereo and I'm not having the dealer install the one option for $800 which is the regular WRX stereo. So I'm opting for after market. That of course leaves two big questions-cost and install in the double din dash so it looks great, sounds great, and doesn't cost as much as the car itself. I want nav in it too. I want to take the car 'out for a drive'. SFRinNJ

Yeah oem anything radio is a BIG waste...

I'm waiting for Kenwood's KVT-915DVD and NV3100 This combo is the top of the line of anything in car nav and media i've ever seen. One thing it lacks is SACD playback. It will set ya back at least 5k before u touch the speakers and amp area.

New tread I think will be the 5.1 surround sound IN CAR. Which means a center speaker and sub are must haves.

Alpine IVA800 series from last year can save you some bucks and can still be had, if you go back and read some of the boards we have talked about this before. They also have the new 900 series if money isn't a problem. Then they have the pro-nav system to go with it. This will set you back about $3200 before speakers. Just another company some of us have been drooling over depending on your financial status, but everyone needs the stereo put in the car as soon as we buy it so money is a big consideration. SFRinNJ

I installed a low model Panasonic MP3 player and I like it, because it doesn't cost very much. One thing that does bother me though is that our cars don't have a dim switch for the radio. Ah I guess I have to get use to it.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I thought about putting my blaupunkt casablanca in my car, but the indash 6 cd changer is cool to have, so I'm just gonna get a digital EQ, an amp, and some infinity kappa componet speakers to replace the OEM speakers... I think it'll sound decent

heres my alpine. went in easy and fits pretty good but i still want to fill the spot above to get rid of the pocket.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mywrxalpine.jpg  

Originally posted by ervv173
    heres my alpine. went in easy and fits pretty good but i still want to fill the spot above to get rid of the pocket.
    what about one of those neat equalizers?
    Basically a Cobb Stage 2+lots of extras

Regarding the aftermarket MP3/CD single DIN unit, I just bought a Blaupunkt MP3000 which is a wonderful WMA/MP3/CD/CD-RW player! I went to my local Subie dealer and they gave me a pocket for free and after a short 30 minutes, I had the 6-disc out of my car and the new MP3 player wired in! The fit is wonderful, even with my carbon-fiber trim!

PS - There shouldn't be ANY need for CUTTING the trim. Most aftermarket stereos have some plastic mounting fascia trim that can be removed after locating the very tiny screws that hold it in. After removing my plastic trim, I got the player to fit the DIN slot PERFECTLY, and everything is working just wonderfully!

Blaupunkt MP3000 Player:
    Blaupunkt MP3000

wish I had known about those "tiny screws" about a year ago LOL, a good excuse for me the get the carbon fiber trim anyway

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.