Gauge Questions...HELP!

This is a discussion on Gauge Questions...HELP! within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; OK...I decided to get the OEM gauge pack (eBay). I got it cheap and I really like the looks of ...

Gauge Questions...HELP!

OK...I decided to get the OEM gauge pack (eBay). I got it cheap and I really like the looks of it. I'll probably replace the gauges later but for now here are my questions.

Boost Gauge - I know how to install that
    Oil Temp Gauge - It came with some sort of plug looking thing with a wire attached to it. Where do i install the plug thing?
    Voltage - How does this get installed? Wire locations?

I read that you can use the clock wiring to install the gauges. Does anyone know how to do this? I'm really frustrated cause I wanna get this installed and the dealership ($$$) is my last resort. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    '02 WRX/STi

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Oil Temp "plug thingy" needs to be placed in the drain plug, which requires drilling and thread tapping the plug, or can be put in a "sandwich" adapter that screws in where your oil filter screws in. Do a search on the sandwich thing, I do not know much about it other than it make life very easy. The voltmeter just needs accessory power. Lights are lights, that is easy, just wire all three to the red wire with the green stripe on the fog light switch -- don't worry, this turns them on the with the regular lights as that is constant power to the fog light switch that is turned on when you turn on your regular lights, the fog light switch then must be switched on to turn on the fog lights. Accessory on the clock is the yellow with the green stripe.

Sorry if I confused you at all

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

I have a feeling this might be easier than I made it sound. Subaru might have put the stock gauges harness into cars that do not have them, so maybe you just need to find that harness, then get your oil temp sensor installed.

People with stock gauges should be able to help.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

Yeah, the person that I bought the gauge pack from must have cut off the wiring clip because there are wires with masking tape on them that were probably cut. Is there a way I can order this from the dealer and then just plug it into the harness from the car?

Is this the sandwich adapter you are talking about?
    http://www.wrxtra.com/

If so, should I just wait for it to come out and get that instead? I really don't want to use the drain plug with a wire hanging off of it.
    '02 WRX/STi

That's the one....I am pretty sure Greddy and Defi also make them though and they are available now, but they might be a bit pricey.

If the wires are just clipped I would just wire it all by hand and forget the harness.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Where do I wire it by hand? Should I look for the gauge harness or use the wiring harness that the clock was plugged into?

Sorry for all the questions, I just wanna make sure I do this right the first time. So far all my mods have been smooth thanks to everyone on this site.
    '02 WRX/STi

What about this oil filter sandwich adapter?

http://store.summitracing.com/produc...earchType=ECat
    '02 WRX/STi

Not sure if that one would fit, plus you would need an adapter to get from oem bspt threading to npt threading that is on that sandwich. I pretty much explained how to do it by hand in the first post. All three wirs for the lights go to the red with green stripe wire on your fog lighht harness (slice and sotter or jsut splice and wire nut), your volt meter needs to go to yellow with green stripe accessory in the clock harness(same as before, sotter or wire nut), and your oil temp sensor needs to go to the sandwich. I think that is it.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

I think I got it. I'll let you know after I make an attempt to install everything. Thanks.
    '02 WRX/STi

Just take your time. Take everything apart and find everything first before you go to work cutting wires and such. If you do it before you get the sandwich, don't sweat it, just feed the sensor into the engine bay (through the rubber grommet behind the brake pedal) and tie it off somewhere until you are ready to install it. This way you do not have to tear everything out again, you can just plug in the sensor.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Thanks for all your help guys. I have actually found exactly what I was looking for. Here is the link if anyone is interested. It has all the instructions that you will need to hook up the factory gauge pack.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...p?threadid=142

I am very happy now
    '02 WRX/STi

Put my gauges in today. It actually wasn't that hard. The factory actually uses a "jumper harness" that looks like a "T". It attaches to the back of the radio and then runs up to where the gauge pod is located. After that, it's plug and play. I have the dealer trying to order me that harness on Monday. After I get that I will pull the radio and then run the wire. For now, the turbo gauge and oil temp gauge are working only. No lights or volt gauge til I get the harness.
    '02 WRX/STi

Update: The dealership was able to get the "jumper harness". It was exactly what I needed. I removed the two screws that hold the cup holder in place. I removed the radio bezel. That was actually pretty easy. I just gave a littel tug at each corner and it came right off. I removed the 6 screws that hold the radio in place and just pulled it out. Installed the jumper harness, ran the wire to the top of the dash where the pod is located and just plugged everything in. Reinstalled everything and the gauges are working just fine. I'm learning more every day .
    '02 WRX/STi