XM Radio : initial review

This is a discussion on XM Radio : initial review within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Had some paypal money burning a hole in my pocket so I splurged and bought an XM radio Delphi skyfi ...

XM Radio : initial review

Had some paypal money burning a hole in my pocket so I splurged and bought an XM radio Delphi skyfi unit with car and home kit. It's a unit that can dock into the car and my home stereo.

Installation was very easy. I mounted the display docking station right above the top left corner of my glove box. I angled it facing the driver side slightly. The antenna was mounted on my trunk in the center about 3" from my rear window (magnetic) and ran the line through the passthrough (temporary) to the main unit. I used the tape adapter since we have a tape deck stock instead of the FM modulator. Still need to neaten up the wires.

The display is nice and big maybe 2"x4" with the whole unit not much bigger. Back lit red which I was unsure of but its nice on the eyes at night.

The music is awesome! Superb digital quality with no distortion I can hear. Too many channels to even list. Everything separated by genre, artist, and title. You can search around for songs/artists while staying on the same station.

In addition there are about 20 news channels, weather, comedy, E!, books on tape, MTV, and even playboy My only problem is that it is very distracting playing with the remote searching channels while driving. Once I get some presets it will be safer.

With the prices of CD's and all the crap my local radio stations play I think its well worth the money.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: XM Radio : initial review

Originally posted by JRod
    [B]The music is awesome! Superb digital quality with no distortion I can hear. B]
    I wish that I was in your situation. It takes me about .001 seconds to tell the difference between satellite radio and FM/CD. Saying that XM has superb digital quality is like saying you can't tell the difference between diet and regular coke.

Don't get me wrong, the other benefits of satellite radio are exactly as you say (I have Sirius and my friends have XM), but the audio fidelity is not even close to what they advertise.
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

Are you saying that Sirius is better quality or you can hear the difference with that as well? I have a direct connection from my antenna to tape deck which eliminates the interference that a FM modulator can incur. Do you use the FM modulator, that may cause some distortion and static?

Also since this is satelite reciever a city setting (location in your sig) is not ideal since buildings obviously block signals, not to mention all the other electromagnetic interference a city has. Works great for me out on flat L.I.
    Last edited by JRod; 04-22-2003 at 12:01 PM.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver

Could my girlfriend work it?
    She has not got a CD player in her car and was thinking about getting one - I was going to suggest XM to her.

Originally posted by aussieinstlouis
    Could my girlfriend work it?
    She has not got a CD player in her car and was thinking about getting one - I was going to suggest XM to her.
    Yes, very simple to use and install. Its distracting though.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver

JRod,

I've heard both XM and Sirius, both with and without an FM modulator. I totally understand that my situation is not ideal because of the FM modulator, and that the quality of Sirius may be different than XM. In any case, neither of them are CD/FM quality, but they are both well worth the money.

Aus,

Anyone can work these things once they're installed. Depending on her tastes in music, she may want to consider Sirius instead. They have more commercial free music stations and really hit it right with their Jazz, Hip-hop, and Techno/Dance stations. Not to mention the SPEED CHANNEL RADIO!!!
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

Re: Re: XM Radio : initial review

Originally posted by Bask Oner
    I wish that I was in your situation. It takes me about .001 seconds to tell the difference between satellite radio and FM/CD. Saying that XM has superb digital quality is like saying you can't tell the difference between diet and regular coke.

Don't get me wrong, the other benefits of satellite radio are exactly as you say (I have Sirius and my friends have XM), but the audio fidelity is not even close to what they advertise.
    Quite the opposite for me. I had a complete Alpine HU / Changer JL 300a4 and RF 800a2. MB Quart premeiums running on the JL (Components) and 2 IDQ's running on the RF. EQX and EPICENTER.

The satallite sounded 2x as good as the CD player.

JRod,

I've heard both XM and Sirius, both with and without an FM modulator. I totally understand that my situation is not ideal because of the FM modulator, and that the quality of Sirius may be different than XM. In any case, neither of them are CD/FM quality, but they are both well worth the money.
    I wonder what kinda of setup you have if you dont have inputs for RCA. How can you compare something with high sound when you dont have your speakers amped at all and using FM?!?

Originally posted by Knertified
    I wonder what kinda of setup you have if you dont have inputs for RCA. How can you compare something with high sound when you dont have your speakers amped at all and using FM?!?
    Did you read my post? I said that I've heard both XM and Sirius, with and without FM modulators. My friend's Pioneer/XM system with a fully amped Polk system is just as "digitized" as my FM modulated Kenwood/Sirius system. You shouldn't have to buy MB Quart, etc, to think that satellite sounds twice as good as CD.
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

Did you read my post? I said that I've heard both XM and Sirius, with and without FM modulators. My friend's Pioneer/XM system with a fully amped Polk system is just as "digitized" as my FM modulated Kenwood/Sirius system. You shouldn't have to buy MB Quart, etc, to think that satellite sounds twice as good as CD.
    I dunno... Polks are good speakers too.. thats odd that it sounded like crap. Another friend of mine has stock speakers and it sounds better than his CD player. Wierd.

I come from the Car audio world been doing the stuff since the 80's Yeah I'm old. Having used XM for over a year now I have decided it is one of the best things to come along in car audio.
    I love it, I no longer listen to CD's or AM/FM radio. If anybody is on the fence about getting XM, you should get it now.

Originally posted by iv30
    I come from the Car audio world been doing the stuff since the 80's Yeah I'm old. Having used XM for over a year now I have decided it is one of the best things to come along in car audio.
    I love it, I no longer listen to CD's or AM/FM radio. If anybody is on the fence about getting XM, you should get it now.
    Definitely worth buying, but make sure you check out Sirius too.
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

The only problem with Sirius is they subscriber base is still realy low which it making them weak finacially. I would be kind of weary buying $200 or $300 worth of equipment only to have them go bankrupt 6 months from now. Some of the industry mags say thay are on shakey ground. Where as XM has the backing of GM and Honda and a few more.

Sirius will be fine if people help them build their subscriber base. They have excellent incentives to join, like the free [$150] tuner that I got. No matter what happens, they're going to be around for at least another year.

Besides, MCI (Worldcom) is still here and about to be thriving. If they can do it, so can Sirius.
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!