Head units and materials?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Head units and materials? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Head units and materials? I am thinking of maybe now getting a new head unit that can play mp3s or ...

I am thinking of maybe now getting a new head unit that can play mp3s or maybe even the one with the lcd screen that pops out.

Was wondering what you guys think are the best for the price.

Also do they give you some type of enclouser to cover up the 2nd din if you install a single din head unit into the factoy space that is a double din?

Still looking for suggestions on my other post too....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    I prefer Alpine head units

You can get a storage pocket, the Impreza 2.5 RS & TS have a single din radio with a pocket underneath

where do I get hte storage pocket from?

Clarion, Kenwood Excelon, and Alpine make fine decks. One note is that some Alpines are direct battery connection (yellow wire).

Metra Makes the kit frame for the deck - part # 78-8999

The INTO CAR harness is 70 - 1780
    The speaker harness is typical subaru 72-9300

Hold on a sec.

Where do I get all these parts?

I need to know where to go to purchase all of these things.

tan
    the pocket you can get hosed at the dealership.

An audio install shop should have them lying around that connects directly to the brackets

need some more input from you all.

Go to a local car stereo shop (not circuit city or any of those other electronics places). They should have most everything you need to install your stereo. Along with some plain panels to cover up the bottom section should you get a a HU that doesn't require all that additional space. The stereos don't usually come with a pocket bin or a blank to cover the hole up. Those you purchase seperately at your local stereo shop. If they don't have one, they can usually make one for fairly cheap.

Sometimes you can get a harness for the stereo of your choice on ebay if you buy a used unit that doesn't have one.

A good place to window shop is crutchfield, once you've decided on what you want, you can look elsewhere for better deals. I bought my HU brand new on ebay for a fraction of what it would've cost me to get it from the manufacturer.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former."
    Albert Einstein

Mods: Kartboy shifter,Mobil 1 syn. AEM Short RAM, AEM Underdrive Pulley, Scorpion Axle-back exhaust.

Yes any local audio shop (CC and best buy might have these on hand if you ask specifically for them) would have these and probably online too. Just look for those part #s. They use the bracket kits in the new forresters too. INTO CAR Wiring harness is probably ubiquitous because most use the same on other models and trims.

Word of advice (coming from an audio dealer) if you buy online (besides crutchfield) be aware that you won't have warranty coverage if the deck breaks. Ebay sellers and online say they offer coverage but may only cover DOA - not 9 months later!Buying an inexpensive $200-300 deck may be fine to take the risk but over that NO WAY. $100 is worth the 1-2 year factory warranty. Don't want a $500 paper weight!

Check out the Kvt-915DVD Kenwood if ya got the cabbage.

What are the best MP3 players that fit in the 150-250 dollar range?

I want somehting that is nice, looks good and is not difficult to control while driving. I also like the ones where the face flips around to hide itself but that is not a nessassity.

I've got the Panasonic CQ-DFX572U. Once I read the instructions and figured out how to work it, I had no problems and it goes nicely with the interior of the WRX.

You can check it out here
    It looks pretty cool at night
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former."
    Albert Einstein

Mods: Kartboy shifter,Mobil 1 syn. AEM Short RAM, AEM Underdrive Pulley, Scorpion Axle-back exhaust.

wow that is expensive.

Actually I got it for about $200.00 and have no complaints. I wouldn't buy it from panasonic. You might want to check your local stereo shops, I've seen these puppies for a lot cheaper than what Panasonic advertises. Shop around, I think you'll find more competitive prices, especially online.

Good luck.
    Albert Einstein

tan
    I wished Panasonic continued with their 3D Surround bass they used to have.

This is the head unit I'm eyeing out
    Alpine CDA-9813

and maybe

CDA-9815 for $100 more
    Last edited by tan; 04-24-2003 at 11:13 AM.

I like those too.

What ate the best prices for thos Alpine's???

Give me some locations to shop at.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.