Blocked Vents?

This is a discussion on Blocked Vents? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Has anyone had their air vents suddenly cr@p out? Fan runs, a/c works, no air comes out the vents no ...

Question Blocked Vents?

Has anyone had their air vents suddenly cr@p out? Fan runs, a/c works, no air comes out the vents no matter what the settings are. Turn everything off for a while and it works again - then cr@ps out again.

Please give me any hints. I figure some flap has come loose or something. This thing is going to the dealer tomorrow for the clutch TSB and I don't want them getting away with "Well, we couldn't repeat the problem." BS. No a/c SUCKS in FL, even this time of year!

I didn't see anything in a quick search.

TIA
    Renn

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Can you switch it to blow to the floor or the defroster vents when the mid level vents go out? Just wondering if you can get any air to come out once the mid ones go out.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

No, not at all. Recirc, fresh air, all dead. You can hear the fan whistling against the blockage, and on high a very small amount of air comes out. I don't hear any tell-tale clunks or rattles. Just seems to come and go of its own accord.
    Renn

I had mine freeze up in late july last year. Basically the warm air going through the ac is so humid it depositing a little water as it cools the ac is SO good it is freezing this.

I only worked this out when I came home and it was not working as you describe and I parkled for 2 hours to come out to a big puddle of water under the car - I freaked and started trying to find the leak - it was the ac vent near the downpipe. To be sure I turned the car back on and tried the ac - it was 'fixed'.

I have found the best thing to do is to cycle the ac on and off when I drive and sometimes back off the temp control from the full cold posn.

Bing Bing! I think we have a winner! That makes perfect sense. Pathetic thing is that the a/c wasn't on full, the knob was at 10 o'clock Also means this car is going to have serious problems in the summer. I had never had that happen without vapour coming out the vents though.

Uggghh! At least they won't be tearing out my dash this week.

Who else has had this happen? Is it common?
    Renn

The other thing that helps stop it is using full fan or no fan. i found that at posn 1 or 2 it had more chance of blocking

Btw, thanks so much for the info. I would have gone soooo many rounds with the dealer on this one. Now that I know what it is, it should be pretty simple to combat.
    Renn

yeah - they would have pulled apart the dash - put it back together, told you they never found anything and left new rattles but not fixed the problem