drivers side wind noise

This is a discussion on drivers side wind noise within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; every time i open the door and close it, there is wind noise. i have to just tap the power ...

Angry drivers side wind noise

every time i open the door and close it, there is wind noise. i have to just tap the power window down, and bring it back up to seal better.

anyone else experiencing this?
    03 blue WRX.
    Weeeeee!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Speedshift this is very common with frameless windows. I remember someone saying (I know this is good for virtually nothing) that the high end BMWs with frameless windows actually lower the window slightly when the door is open and raise it up again after the door is closed.
    Rubber Duckies Fair Well in the Rain

Originally posted by campbell
    Speedshift this is very common with frameless windows. I remember someone saying (I know this is good for virtually nothing) that the high end BMWs with frameless windows actually lower the window slightly when the door is open and raise it up again after the door is closed.
    The new Z also does that, it's a good idea.

hmm,, my firebirds were frameless and they did not show this type of annoyance, not that big of a deal though.
    03 blue WRX.
    Weeeeee!

i was searching through threads for this topic. Ok I am not the only one experiencing this.

Originally posted by Shard
    The new Z also does that, it's a good idea.
    actually, the reason the Z does that is because the frame of the roof/door goes down over the window itself - if you close the door without the windows moving on their own (i.e. dead battery, window module disabled), you can seriously damage the paint, the frame, and/or the window.
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

Actually, the wind noise comes from the wind blowing over the driver's side mirror. Open your window, and you still hear a high pitched whine.

I discovered the other day that if you place your fingers/hand between the door frame and the mirror when driving, the noise goes away.

Pretty wierd.

I have the same problem, but why is it only on the drivers side...no noise from the passanger side.

I just tap down the window, and put it back up, it goes away, but then like a minute or so later it comes back....kind of strange...

I't doesn't really bother me, but it bugs my wife alot....
    I usually have the music up, so I cant even hear it...

maybe it'll just go away this summer (The windoes will be down anyway )

i have this problem too. . .i have yet to get a satisfactory answer from the dealership on how to fix this...
    I hate my WRX's stock horn....

i got creaks and a loud exhaust, never noticed this problem you are talking about
    03 wrx
    karboy ss/bushings, blitz dtt, catless, prodrive axleback

I had the same problem in my 2002 wrx, the noise would go away if I pushed on the trim piece by the window as well. It was caused by a miss-aligned gasket in the mirror assembly, apparently common. The dealer here fixed it quickly for no charge. They took off the mirror to do it.

i have that problem too... and at one time when i hit 120 mph (and only when i would go over that speed) i would get this LOUD flapping noise like a kazoo or something... but other than that i do get that weird sound from the driver side window....

what should i say to the dealer when i tell them that?

you guys keep saying mirrors, but I swear I think it's comming from the window

My wife was complaining that her Legacy does this. I've started noticing it on my car as well. I was wondering if it was because we had our windows tinted. As if the small gap from the film to the top of the window was somehow messing with the seal.

I agree it sure seems like it's from the window as opposed to the mirrors.
    Cool as the other side of the pillow.

I noticed this and pushed the antenna down, and the noise went away.
    Now: 04 WRB STi (stock)