wrx=bad ergonomics - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on wrx=bad ergonomics within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 5'10 and fits like a charm...

5'10 and fits like a charm
    [SLEEPER]
    [noun] A high performance street car with an inconspicuous, stock outward appearance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by daveyboy
    I think that may be the problem--I like the wheel to be nearly vertical. When the wheel is angled I feel like I am driving a tractor. I might also be that most of the people posting that find it very comfortable are over 6', I am 5' 7".
    I am 5' 7" as well maybe that is why the tach isn't fully visible. LOL - "driving a tractor" I feel the same way.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former."
    Albert Einstein

Mods: Kartboy shifter,Mobil 1 syn. AEM Short RAM, AEM Underdrive Pulley, Scorpion Axle-back exhaust.

Actually the Impreza has very good ergonomics. Easy to find and read gauges, well positioned pedals, turn signals and wipers can be controlled easily with one or two fingers while still holding the wheel, and the radio/HVAC controls aren't bad to reach. Can someone point out another car of this size with the view you get from the Impreza? The cockpit fits a large range of driver sizes and even though comfort is a subjective thing the WRX is one of the most comfortable driving positions available. The only cars that come to mind that feel as good behind the wheel as the WRX are the 350 Z, Audi TT, C4 Corvettes (haven't driven a C5 yet), and my favorite fit the Acura RSX (only complaint with that car is the top of the winshield comes into the field of view a bit much). Again, just my opinions but the WRX just feels like a car that fits, and I've heard that from three others that have driven my car, all different heights and weights.

Maybe you've got some extra vertebra making your torso too long for your leg/arm length?

Originally posted by glepko
    Maybe you've got some extra vertebra making your torso too long for your leg/arm length?
    Ouch...

I find that the WRX offers a tremendous view. I love it. Better position, and far better view than the 350z (You can't see squat out of that car!).

Originally posted by Shard
    Ouch...

I find that the WRX offers a tremendous view. I love it. Better position, and far better view than the 350z (You can't see squat out of that car!).
    That wasn't meant as an insult, it's more common than you think, it's funny, one of my friends is 6'1" and another is 5'11" but when they sit down the shorter guy is two inches taller.

And I agree about not being able to see out of the 350 Z, drive the Audi TT once for a 'limited' view. That's why I like the WRX driving position, it fits great AND you can see great. I can't remember a car with as clean of a view.

I can't complain about the ergonomics. Thanks goodness they didn't put the ebrake next to the shift lever like on some cars; that would annoy the heck outta me!

-snowcat
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

5' 9"

Loved the cockpit since day one.

-Jim

I'm 6' 170
    i always thought wrx was most comphy car ive owned.. including the big bucket seats of a k5 blazer.
    Maybe i'm just the right build but i fit perfect into the seat, i sit more upright then most..i dont lean back (Top down screamin out money ain't a thang?) and i have the wheel right in the middle.. but i have the seat jacked up as high as it goes, and back all the way on the bar..just the tilt is 3 clicks down from uprite..
    Not to mention I drove 11hours to florida, from NJ shore, thanksgiving .. and my back didnt hurt the slightest. @11 hours, you can tell we didnt stop more then 3 times either. 3 gas stops, and 2 food stops (during gas)
    /shrug. i'd say mess w/the seat settings
    Scott

Im fine

6'0 and im fine...

F- the speedo, i always know i'm going over 80mph

Hmm, guages are fine with me, but for some reason I hate the headrests and seat curve! I can't sit properly in the car with my back all the way against the seat, and the headrests don't do anything.
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

that's really strange..i'm 6' 3" and i have no trouble seeing anything..and for any shorter folks..they can see too because i've had some short people drive my car. think it's something wtih raising and lowering the seat?
    Float like a butterfly and sting like when I pee

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Retro
    Hmm, guages are fine with me, but for some reason I hate the headrests and seat curve! I can't sit properly in the car with my back all the way against the seat, and the headrests don't do anything.
    Well you aren't really supposed to pin your head to the headrest while driving either. As for the resting the back on the seat, I would suggest playing with the angle of your seat....most drivers have the angle to slant and don't make effective use of the seatback. Try a more vertical position.

When I first got mine, I nearly took it back because I couldn't get comfortable. After ten minutes I had nasty back aches. After a couple days I figured out how to set up the seat and now it fits like a glove.

For me, the secret was lowering the seat quite a bit from where it was. I'm not tall, like 5'5", but the combo of wheel and seat heights were critical. I drive upright like the WRC guys if it makes a difference. I'm only a couple clicks from vertical on the seatback angle, and my wrist rests on the wheel with my arm extended.
    ribonucleic acid freakout

I Support ClubWRX
    Not only in rally, but in motorsport, drivers tend to sit upright...and with the steering mounted high. Personally for me, I prefer the seat at vertical which in the standard rex seats is the first notch available.

6'5'' And big in every way. Not fat! I'm just strong and have a large mass in my arms, chest and legs. Just a big person. And I fit great.....thats asking a lot from a small vehical....that why I drive my Bronco, I fit great in there. Just two or three months and I'll have one of my own!
    '89 Ford Bronco, 5.8L - Custom Stereo, Custom Exaust

Future plans to get a WRX.
    Working on it! Hopefully in September.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast