Autometer EGT probe safe in the manifold??
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Autometer EGT probe safe in the manifold?? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am planning on tapping my manifold this weekend. I have the Autometer Pyrometer (Sport Comp) and will be using ...

Autometer EGT probe safe in the manifold??

I am planning on tapping my manifold this weekend. I have the Autometer Pyrometer (Sport Comp) and will be using the Autometer probe. I have heard some bad things about these probes melting and/or breaking off and going into the turbo, but no real hard evidence. It mostly seems like NASIOC snobs trying to stop Noobs from buying USDM gauges instead of JDM gauges more than anything. I figure that the gauge is set up to read at most 1600 F, so the probe must be able to handle much more than that (I forget what the factor is but all probes and gauges are always set up for like 20-30% more load than they read). I have seen Autometer gauges in tons of race cars, pro sreet cars, and the like. I do not think these guys would be using these gauges if they were faulty. I also do not want to put it in the downpipe because the readings are not very accurate and I do not want to have to be adding 200? 250? 300? degrees to my temp all the time.

What is everyone's opinion on this?

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It's not a damn beanbag!

Yes, thanks. I have read that thread about 8 times now. I just want to hear from anyone that has actually had the experience of a probe failure, and if there is no one out there, then I will deem it to be a rarity. I did find a thread on NASIOC about a greddy failing in the manifold (but it was installed too close to the head -- user error), so I see no reason to trust Greddy (or any other JDM for that matter) over Autometer, and scores of people have put the EGT probe (USDM and JDM) in the manifold without any problems -- all but one as far as I can tell from actual accounts.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

Originally posted by NJwrbT-WRX
    Yes, thanks. I have read that thread about 8 times now. I just want to hear from anyone that has actually had the experience of a probe failure, and if there is no one out there, then I will deem it to be a rarity. I did find a thread on NASIOC about a greddy failing in the manifold (but it was installed too close to the head -- user error), so I see no reason to trust Greddy (or any other JDM for that matter) over Autometer, and scores of people have put the EGT probe (USDM and JDM) in the manifold without any problems -- all but one as far as I can tell from actual accounts.

-joe
    mine is solid dude. haven't had a problem. it has been installed over 2k miles ago.

I have the same Autometer Pyrometer gauge. I installed the probe into the driver's side manifold. The highest temp I ever see is 1500... stock car. Since the gauge can read to 1600... I'm quite sure the probe won't disintegrate/melt till well above that.

Here's a pic of my probe install. Works great!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stuff-manifold1.jpg  
    RR
    '04 SRT-4 E.blue
    ---past flyers---
    '03 WRX Silver
    '98 Maxima SE

autometer EGT

Have a cobalt AM EGT gauge in my manifold on my STi, had it there for 3,000 miles no problems reads very accurately 6inchs from the engine, it is also in a borla header and running 16psi and its fine.

What exactly does it mean to "tap" the guage in your manifold? Are you drilling a hold in it, and how will you be sure to get it fine enough where there is no leaks.
    04 SVT Lightning

use a 1/8-27 NPT to cut the threads. Its tapered so it wont leak. In that pic above, thats right where i put mine and it works great. I cut a hole in the heatshield so it can come through and keep the heat down.
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.