mounting sub

This is a discussion on mounting sub within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; guys i have a 12 inch sub in a box in my trunk...the thing slides all over the place!!! how ...

mounting sub

guys i have a 12 inch sub in a box in my trunk...the thing slides all over the place!!! how the hell can i get this thing to stay put..no bungee cords they dont work. any ideas? i tried screwing it down..but all thats down there is that pos piece of plywood type stuff.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Why don't bungies work?
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

because of that damn carpeting in the trunk its loose so it slides..in my old plymouth where the carpeting was like tacked down i could take a 1 g turn (yea right, in an acclaim? haha) but seoriusly icould take some hard turns and the thing wouldnt slide an inch even with nothing holding it down.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by aaronwillen
    because of that damn carpeting in the trunk its loose so it slides..in my old plymouth where the carpeting was like tacked down i could take a 1 g turn (yea right, in an acclaim? haha) but seoriusly icould take some hard turns and the thing wouldnt slide an inch even with nothing holding it down.
    I have the same exact problem and would like the same exact solution. Here is my setup, minus the blue continer in the front of the sub :

I have tried bungy cords and velcro. Neither works. And the nylon straps that came with the sub are long gone. Anyone out there have a suggestion?

I got an idea, although it's a little far-fetched.

Get a board, and find the dimensions of the trunk. Find the width of the floor of the trunk where you want the subs to be. And mount the sub box, with screws onto the board, and ideally the board won't move because it's just as wide as the trunk. The only place it'll move is back and forth, but then again you can try the same thing with that. This might be some added weight, but hey, your subs will last longer, as well as your trunk! Just an idea...
    -Ryan |Dub-Yuh Our Ex Ess Tee Eye| My Car

My Basslink is screwed straight into the floor in my wagon. Is there any reason why you can't pick up a couple of corner brackets and screw it to the floor?
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

Theres a couple things you can do:
    1. velcro but still may slide around a bit
    2. get some door hinges and mount it to the spare tire board...

I did the latter before putting the sub in the wheel well and it didn't seem to move around at all.

what is suppossed to happen is there is a adhesive applied to the bottom of the sub box. This holds it to the carpet.

I am using this setup and it stays put, even when I'm doing some offroading.
    --Jason-- 2004 MT WRB WRX
    Cobb Stage 2 more goodies:
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

On Verd's car we used double-sided tape on the Sub on the bottom and it works fine on a 12 inch sub unless we take a really really hard turn. Below the sub though we have a cut into shape legacy wagon trunk cover that is rubber that sticks well to the double-sided tape. Just giving another idea or option, like taking a rubber mat and using double-sided tape on your sub.

~Shinigami
    Life is not a mystery to be solved, but a mystery to be lived

I have used bungees with no problem. I have 4 bungees holding it down. I went from the top, down under, connected another bungee and came back up to the hole I started from. Did the same thing on the other side of the trunk, so I have 4 bungees, 2 on each side of the box. And it will bump the metal to either side under very heavy cornering, but thats it. I too tried velcro and I had some problems with the bungees until I put a couple more on there.
    Rubber Duckies Fair Well in the Rain

I've Used "L" brackets with big sub boxes in other installs just fine. I've also seen people re-cut a new wood peice to replace the crappy stock cover, like mentioned earlier, and that will also cut down on rattles because it's more dense. You could also try using the aluminum tie straps that are used to hold hot water heaters into place. Those should work pretty well...

I am FINISHING my 2 12" sub install today!!! My box IS HUGE!!! I don't think I'll need to anchor it down, it barely has anywhere to go. I forgot to take pics of the install up 'till now, so I'll try to get pics taken while I finish it tonight.

-jason
    2002 Midnight Black WRX - EJ22 w/ VF30 and all the other stuff to go with it...

***ATTN: Speed Kills! Drive a Honda and live FOREVER. ***

What kind of system are you putting in?

My roomie has a GC8 style 2.5RS. This is what he did: He rammed the box in as close to the back seat as he could. Then he took a deflated soccer ball and shoved it inbetween the box and the roof of the trunk (not the part that opens). Then he pumped up the soccer ball until it fight tight. It stays and doesn't move at all.