Gauge Placement?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Gauge Placement? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey, i just got some veilside gauges, and im wondering where i can put them. Im getting a brand new ...

Angry Gauge Placement?

hey, i just got some veilside gauges, and im wondering where i can put them. Im getting a brand new 02 WRX, and i need some ideas, .. and.. no.. i dont want the door panel pods

and by the way, i got to say i love this forum, ive learned some new stuff, thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

two of the most popular gauge pods are the defi and the subaru factory gauge pod. both of these gauge pods are mounted where the stock clock sits. however, the subaru pod only holds 45mm gauges (or 52mm with some work). the defi pod on the other hand holds 60mm gauges.

I bought the Subaru gauge pod housing and realized that I would have to mod it with my Dremel to make even my 2 1/4 inch gauges fit. I bought a Defi pod instead and it looks great . The bad things are that it is expensive and you have to paint it to match (Ford Smoke M is a good paint match). The pod is made for 60mm gauges but you can make spacers out of rubber Plum-Quick 1 1/2 inch pipe unions. Just take off the metal clamps and cut each end off back at the rear of the clamp depression. Stretch the cut off end around the gauge (big side toward the face) and it should fit tightly into the hole.

The other thing about the Defi pod is that the retaining plastic "feet" are quite substantial. I think that if you push the pod into the holes in the dash you probably won't be able to get it out again without breaking something. Prior to installing I took my Dremel and ground off and rounded more that half of each hook on the plastic feet. The pod still snaps in place and is secure, but if I pull sharply on it, it comes out easily (for gauge service or replacement).

Dale
    Last edited by iceNine; 02-12-2002 at 08:35 AM.

Ya you should be able to fit a couple in the STOCK HOUSING, and then auto meter just FINALY released their Pillar mounts.. so you can hold 3 more there.

Finally, they have a 2 guage mount for the dash area near your tach and speedometer.

-John

Originally posted by berto
    two of the most popular gauge pods are the defi and the subaru factory gauge pod. both of these gauge pods are mounted where the stock clock sits. however, the subaru pod only holds 45mm gauges (or 52mm with some work). the defi pod on the other hand holds 60mm gauges.
    You can buy an adapter plate that fits the 2 1/16" gauges. I personally think the defi gauge housing is too big the stock looks great I just helped a friend install one. I'll have some pics up tonight, it looks very clean. The factory housing with the adapter I think he paid under $100 not sure exactly.
    2003 WRX this summer
    GregFarz3@excite.com
    http://community.webshots.com/user/gregfarz78

Like free MP3's? Join my club, mention clubwrx.net
    Audiophilez

Exclamation

hey, thanks for the info.
    the only problem is .. well.. my gauges are 52mm, so if i can find one that will hold three gauges of that size, im buying it..

i just really dont want to buy the stock one cuz its a lot of money for nothing. correct me if im wrong, but its like 300+ dollars for that mechanism..

anyway.. i think autometer makes one for 52mm gauges (holds three), but im not posotive, and i cant find it in their website.

-if you have any info. please reply-

scooby.. they DO make the APillar mount.. the one you see that attaches your window and your door seal.. that thingy around there..

They DO NOT make the one you can buy "stock" with guages... you have to custom fit those.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.