adding a subwoofer to stock system
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on adding a subwoofer to stock system within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; did anyone here add a bazooka tube or any other subwoofer to the stock system(UPGRADED)speakers?If you did can you tell ...

adding a subwoofer to stock system

did anyone here add a bazooka tube or any other subwoofer to the stock system(UPGRADED)speakers?If you did can you tell me how you like it.Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i did it sounds good...im probobly going to go ahead and upgrade my 4 speakers before the summer ends though if i have some extra cash.

I Support ClubWRX
    I also put in a Bazooka tube a long time ago. The thing I have a problem with is securing it to the trunk so it won't crash back and forth during spirited driving. I have been using bungy cords for a while. They don't work too well though. Here a thread that I replied to a long time ago:

wires in the back of the stereo

I just finished installing 3 10" MTX's and an amp in my 03 rex.
    I have the factory installed premium sound. I just bought a cheap LOC (line output convertor) yanked out the stock headunit, wired in the LOC. and ran my wires.

I have MUCH thump now, 3 10"s and 800 watts.... booooom.

i installed 2 12s in the trunk and from inside the car it sounds great but outside all you can hear is the car ratteling apart

I added an Infinity Basslink and I absolutely LOVE it! Sounds great to all the Dance, Techno, Bass, and Rap music I listen too.

Reviving this thread instead of starting a new one:

Ok, so the link to IClub didn't work, but a quick search there for "subwoofer wiring diagram" got me half of the info; the subwoofer connector. What I am after though is what these correspond to on the back of the factory stereo. I have my own amp/sub to wire in, and was hoping to just plug into the back of the radio instead of tapping into wires. I've had the radio out, and the back has 2 wiring connectors. One is empty on mine, so I'm assuming this is where the sub output comes from? I'd like to use at least the remote turn on from this connector, since I'd hope this would only turn my amp on when the stereo is on and not with the key. Then, as I said above, it'd be nice to use these speaker outs instead of tapping other wires.

This is on an 04, so I suppose the second connector could be different, but I doubt it. Any info is greatly appreciated!

*edit* sorry, you gotta follow the link in the second post to scoobymods.
    '04 JBP Wagon 5MT

Originally posted by randy98mtu
    I've had the radio out, and the back has 2 wiring connectors. One is empty on mine, so I'm assuming this is where the sub output comes from?

This is on an 04, so I suppose the second connector could be different, but I doubt it. Any info is greatly appreciated!
    I also have an 04 and I just replaced the HU.

I got the upgraded speakers and amp/sub thing as options. The amp/sub is connected to the HU via an inline wiring harness. Eg, stock plug goes into new plug, which then plugs into stereo. The new plug has the wires for the amp/sub pre-spliced in.

So, no... the unused plug on the back of the stereo is not used for the amp/sub. At least not in *my* 04...

You could try acquiring the connector for the stock amp/sub and cutting up those wires. At least then the main stereo wiring wouldn't be hacked up.

Thanks hozed. Guess I'll just have to put clips on the wires I need (only 2 for each speaker signal and 1 for remote turn on, 5 total)

I just got done mounting my amp, crossover and power distribution to my spare tire cover thingy. Looks decent. Now to route wires around the back of that and hook it all up!
    '04 JBP Wagon 5MT

I put everything in, but I'm not getting the sound output I should and I'm getting a thump between tracks and a big thump at power down. Sure indicators of something? My 3 current guesses are 1 - bad connections where I tapped the signals in the front, but not likely. 2 - the line converter I'm using (built into my MTX crossover) isn't working. When I used this crossover last was with RCA ins. Or 3 - bad ground for the amp. I'm toing to look at my connections, maybe try to improve my ground tomorrow. If that still doesn't work, I'll go pick up a line converter.

I'm sure starting to think about installing my Clarion deck, but then I'd need new speakers all around and a new/different amp to drive everything (the Clarion just has pre outs)
    '04 JBP Wagon 5MT

I have always stayed away from the high inputs/line comverters...But a friend of mine used the high inputs when he installed his subs and had the same problem. Whe he would first turn the HU on, the speakers would THUMP, then again when he shut it off, but I don't think there was much in between (start-up and turn off)

It was my line converter. Got a new one and now it sounds great. No thumps or anything.

I think I've already nuked my front door speakers. I have 800 miles on the car. Time to look into new speakers...
    '04 JBP Wagon 5MT

I much power you pumpin' into those things? The stock deck was 80w (if I remember correctly, yanked it shortly after I got the car).

oh, and by the way, if you wanna use bigger speakers, theres a guy selling adapter rings to put 6 1/2's in the front and 5 1/4's in the back, just got my set.

here's the linkhttp://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...threadid=26006
    Last edited by coyote73176; 05-29-2003 at 04:22 PM.

I've just got the factory head. Maybe the standard speakers just suck that bad. I hear a lot of static and distortion in them even playing known good CD's. Either way, I'm thinking some new components in front would really make it sound good for quite a while. Maybe I'd put in a new deck in a year or two. I've done enough work in this car already. I've installed my Nokia handsfree kit with a glass mount antenna, wired my Passport 7500, and added my PPI A300 and JL 12W3. Next up is window tint and possibly the door speakers.
    '04 JBP Wagon 5MT

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.