Big problems- Stereo install. Help...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Big problems- Stereo install. Help... within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Big problems- Stereo install. Help... Well a year ago I installed a small sub with built in amp. In order ...

Well a year ago I installed a small sub with built in amp. In order to get it to work I converted my outputs from the factory head unit to RCA cables and ran them back to the sub. Worked.

Then I decided to add an amp so I could do my front and rear speakers. I did the rears about 8 months ago. And it was good. But I was holding off on the front until I had time and material and spacers to get the job done.

Well one problem I noticed was this whining noise when I first hooked the amp up. Sounds like it is coming from the hood so I am guessing it is the alternator. It is this strange whin that is affected by RPM. And now I hooked up one front speaker to the amp and the noisse got worse.

I am scared of what it could be. Any ideas? Any suggestions?

Also how did you guys mount the crossovers in the door and the tweeters?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

sounds like you might have a ground loop...... i had a slight whine in my speakers, that would change with the RPM's in my last car.... check your ground... make sure its a really good ground, ie: bare metal that runs to the frame, seatbelt bolts work well, in the back...... also if that doesnt help.... hopefully you ran the power wire as far away from the RCA's on the way back to the trunk.... the rca's will pick up interference from the power wire if they are too close together.... always run RCA's down one side of the car and power/remote on the other side (remote doesnt really matter, but i like all my power on one side.. just preference)

try these thngs, and let me know....

as far as my crossovers, i mounted them under the front seats.... and ran the wires to the tweeters/mids in Kick Panels in the bottom corner of the fronts

The easiest way to get rid of the noise is to make sure your ground is good, like mak10 said. And as a last resort run a ground wire from the headunit to the amp or amps. Just hook the wire up to the metal case on the radio and amp. You can use a thinner wire 16-18 gauge will work. But remeber you still need the other ground.

I'm having the same problem... see my thread for a few suggestions.

Stereo Interference

I haven't tried running the head unit ground to the trunk yet, I was really hoping I could avoid going back to the h/u.

Good luck!

I guess I am going to try ground loop isolators and then if that does not work try to find a better ground. I will keep you guys posted. I hope it works.

Ok. I got the Ground loop isolators and hooked them up. And well they just made my problem worse. I am not sure if I am hooking them up right but I think I did. Seemed pretty simple to me. But as soon as I connected them the alternator noise got even worse and more pronounced. I tried hooking them up different ways and everyhting and nothing worked.

So I removed them and I have this very annoying whining noise coming from the speakers.

I noticed I can turn the radio off and I still get the noise. I ran power from the batter on on side of the car and speaker wire on the other side. Do I need to run the amped speaker wire on the same side as the power wire??

I don't know what the problem could be.

Where di you guys ground your amps to? I did mine to the middle brake light bolt. Also do I have to ground my amp and sub amp to different locations. Right now I have a distribution block that they both fgo to and then I run a common ground.

I need help guys.

anybody?

NOISE!!!!

honestly,k there is a lot of things that could be affecting your car. Unfotunately the best advice I can give you is to take it to a local pro shop. Before you do that, try the following.

1. If using the stock deck, get proper hi to low adaptors (speaker to RCA) that will usually solve the problem of the alternator whine.
    2. The ground should not be to the third brake light. I would suggest somewhere sturdier, like seat belt anchors.
    3. Where is the power coming for the remote turn on? is it from the deck or some other source? If it is from some other source, then your amp is on regardless of the radio (hence the whine with the radio off).
    4. Make sure the main power wire is of adequate size, that does make a difference.
    5. Upgrade the ground connection on the battery to the chassis. If you look closely, there is a thicker wire heading to the engine, and then a thinner, shorter wire to the car frame. I would recommend upgrading these grounds as it will reduce the resistance for the returning electons (less resistance, less noise).

Hope this helps a little. and good luck.

oh, BTW, the amps do not necessarily have to be grounded to the same place, but the distribution block should work well enough.
    "Failure is only an option for those who try".

Got it grounded to the seat belt anchor now. Got a ground running from the head unit to the same ground. Everything seems to be hooked up corectly. SO the last guess is that the interference is coming in through the RCA cables.

What is the best hi to low adapter to get for converting my line level outputs to RCA wires? I will try a new one if nessassary. But first I am goign to go out and purchase some good RCA cable that is double shielded and try to hook it up before I run it down the car to see it it cures the problem.

Try this. The ground you have running from the headunit chassis, remove that from the current location and somehow wrap it around or wedge a few strands into negative part of the RCA cables at the amp. Do this while the car is running. This is really a desperate attempt. It should work though. Its worked for me in the past. I ended up soldering the ground directly to the cables eventualy.

how the hell do you do that?

I've had this problem with past cars. You can try to fix it with these methods:

1) Power on 1 side, Signal on the other (already mentioned)
    2) Ground loop isolators DO NOTHING. I have NEVER had one work for me.
    3) If you are taking a speaker level and converting it to Line Level it causes this whining problem to be more common than if you use a deck that HAS Line-Out's on it.

4) Double check ALL grounds, Deck, Amp, X-overs, everything, make sure they are tied to BARE metal and using screws/bolts that DO NOT screw into a plastic sleeve (the subaru has a lot of these).

5) Use GOOD quality RCA cables, as these are the "arteries" of the audio system.

6) If the problem STILL exists, then try running ALL new speaker wires from the amp to the speakers if your still using the factory speaker wires. If you REPLACE all factory stereo cabling, you shouldn't have a problem, most of the time, the noise gets introduced into the factory cabling at some point in the line, because they are bundled with 100 different other cables that carry power and other stuff and are ran all over the car and back. Half the time it's an existing problem that you just can't HEAR until you add a bigger amplifier, and the noise gets amplified with it and becomes apperant.

7) STILL Problems? Try the engine grounding mod as you may possibly have the alternator back-feeding current into the electical systems, or other possible grounding problems. It would be worth a shot if you've tried everything else.

Hope you can hunt you noise down, I know those noises get REALLY annoying pretty quick. Good Luck.

-jason
    2002 Midnight Black WRX - EJ22 w/ VF30 and all the other stuff to go with it...

***ATTN: Speed Kills! Drive a Honda and live FOREVER. ***

From what i've heard everywhere, being that the WRX doesn't have good grounds to/from the battery from the factory, I would think there would be two things to try first.

1. Grounding mod. Even if it doesn't help the problem, you run the chance of brighter head lights, gauges, etc.... and you can make it look pretty cool.

2. Forget the factory grounds. Find an obscure location in your trunk, away from as many wires (stereo or OEM) as possible. Make sure nothing important is directly under it. Sand off as much paint as possible from that area. Get some star washers. Put the screw through one of the star washers, then the ring terminal, then another star washer. Tighten down, and hopefully, enjoy.

Hope this helps

jasno999, unplug the rca cable from the amp. look inside the rca cable and you want the ground wire to touch the the outer metal part of the cable not the pin that sticks out. I know it sounds strange. Just try it. You wont harm anything.

still confused a little.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast