gauges not lighting up

This is a discussion on gauges not lighting up within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have the cobalt series gauges boost,a/r,egt.i cannot get the lights to come on when i turn on the head ...

gauges not lighting up

i have the cobalt series gauges boost,a/r,egt.i cannot get the lights to come on when i turn on the head lights.i have the connections and the power source and it is good.i dont know what to check next.any help will be appreciated.thanx

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

where did you connect them up? you have to either experiment with a multimeter,or get a wiring diagram and find out which wire back behind the gauges goes to 12v when the lights are on..and then just ground out the other one. thats what i did and i know my way around there with the electronics real well..i have all new gauges led backlight boost and volt gauges, and i changed all my intereior radio and cruise control and fogs to blue leds..

all my gauges are electric and they work just they lights dont work.i hooked them straight to the battery and the lights still would not come on.i called autometer and they said to send the gauges in and they would replace them so thats what i will do

ahh good plan post back if that still dosent work!

I'm not sure if the Cobalts are the same way, but most AutoMeter gauges have a seperate wire pigtail for the illumination. You didn't mention if you had just wired the 12v for the gauge, or 12v for the illumination as well. If you just have the gauge wired (I, S, and G posts on the gauge) you will not get illumination. You need to wire the light so that it's grounded and has a 12v source when the lights are on. Most people tap into the unused plug behind the stereo since it's already dimmed with the factory switch.

Hope that helps.
    J.B. Hebert
    www.WRXtra.com