Dynamatting

This is a discussion on Dynamatting within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have the premium sound and I listen to a lot of electronic music. Certain bass frequencies cause rattles in ...

Dynamatting

I have the premium sound and I listen to a lot of electronic music. Certain bass frequencies cause rattles in the doors, and I only have the bass set to 2. Sometime soon I'm going to put dynamat around each door speaker. This this would help?

I found a tutorial on how to take the door panels off. But I've never worked with car audio before. How hard are the speakers to remove? Is there anything else I should know? Have any useful tips that will make the job easier?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I remember reading a bunch of threads on this at Nasioc. They also recommended using B-quiet, an inexpensive alternative to Dynamat.

I Support ClubWRX
    I used Brown Bread (an alternative to Dynamat that works better if you ask me) to do my doors and trunk. While they can reduce some rattles, they can also make others more prevalent, so be aware of that.

As far as where you put the stuff, you can put it just around the speaker but it won't do a whole lot there. If you can, do the whole door. I would especially do the inside part of the door right behind where the speaker sits. my 2 cents...

-MK
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

if you were to do all the doors and trunk would this make the outside noise substantially quieter as well?

I Support ClubWRX
    I wouldn't say substantially. There is a noticeable decrease in road noise by doing the doors and trunk. The only way to substantially reduce that noise is by dynamatting the floor and firewall as well.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

how heavy is it?

It does get pretty heavy especially when you are talking about doing all the doors and the trunk. I would imagine that dynamat for 4 doors and the trunk will weigh near 75 lbs.
    Rubber Duckies Fair Well in the Rain

The rattles are right around the speaker area. So I think if I took the speaker out and put dynamat up so the dynamat contacts the speaker a bit, it should help.

I Support ClubWRX
    75lbs is a bit much.... I'm gonna do a little homework on that and get back to you.....
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno

I was told that there are kits you can get like a trunk kit or a door kit. I was also told that the trunk kit was about 25 lbs of dynamat. Now you don't need to use it all as its a universal kit, but I would imagine that you would use most of it. This was from a respectable mobile audio shop in town.
    Rubber Duckies Fair Well in the Rain

I Support ClubWRX

Ok, here we go...

This is from the dynamat website...

Dynamat extreme weighs 0.45lbs per square foot. If you really want to know how much it'll add to the car, you can take some measurements and do the math... no where near 75 lbs...
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno

midknight,

How many Sq/ft of Brownbread did you use to do all 4 doors and trunk??

and how does it look like on trunk??? anywhere near sloppy??

How do you cover the floors??

Brown Bread works

I also had some brown bread installed in the doors, (not much though if I recall correctly), definately no where close to 75 pounds, I was thinking closer to 5 pounds worth, just around the speakers. I have 0 rattles and shakes in my doors, even with the music pounding. Inside my car sound is usually perfect, outside my car however it sound like crab when the bass is going. I tried re-organizing the spare tire and accesories along with it, put styrofoam tape behind the licence plate, retighned the spoiler, but as soon as I fix the rattle from one thing, a new rattle starts, (muffler/exhaust etc.., so I gave up.

b.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by nyxjf
    midknight,

How many Sq/ft of Brownbread did you use to do all 4 doors and trunk??

and how does it look like on trunk??? anywhere near sloppy??

How do you cover the floors??
    I'm not sure how many square feet I used (a buddy of mine bought the roll for my b-day). As far as the trunk, it looks pretty clean. If you really plan ahead and measure it out properly you can really get great coverage and make it look factory (or like it could have been factory anyway...). It really depends on how much time you take to do it. For my doors, it looks sloppy because the reality is that noone ever sees under there anway, plus it's a bit harder since you have the door opening mechanism and a bunch of wires to deal with.

As far as the floor, that would require basically stripping the interior down. It's a lot of work if you're just a casual listener or if road noise doesn't really bother you. However, once you get the seats and carpeting out, it's pretty easy since you can use nice long strips of sound deadening stuff in there.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno

I was just going to reply to this thread. I was curious if I'd be wasting my time just putting dynamat around each door speaker. From what I've just read, it sounds like a good idea.

I just had a thought. I have a few rattles. One caused by the plastic around the steering column and another by the VIN plate. (I've done the silicon fix and put foam in the corners, but the foam lifts the corners too much so I'm trying to find and alternative.) If I put some dynamat on inside of the panel that is making noise, do you think it would fix the rattle? It would weigh it down and not cause it to move/rattle so easily. *shrug*