aftermarket amps with stock head unit???
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on aftermarket amps with stock head unit??? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; OK, I have a pretty serious stereo system from my Integra that I'd like to transplant into the new WRX ...

0db

Lightbulb aftermarket amps with stock head unit???

OK, I have a pretty serious stereo system from my Integra that I'd like to transplant into the new WRX ('03 black wagon, loving every minute!). I am REALLY liking the stock head unit with the indash changer and cassete player, and my old Eclipse CD player is shot anyway, so I'd like to get my amps and speakers into the car without replacing the head unit (not yet, anyway).

Is there factory wiring into the trunk area already for the factory sub option? Is there ANY way to tap a line-level preamp out from the stock HU? Or has anyone attempted to do this with a speaker to line-level converter? I realize the quality will be a bit less than a good head unit with solid preouts, but I would like to at least give it a shot for the sake of keeping a low visibility install and saving the changer/cassete combo.

Any experiences or ideas would be very much appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The factory sub option is under the passenger seat i think. A few people have done it with a speaker- line level converter. I think that would be your best bet.

i got the upgraded sound system with the ***** amp and sub under the pass seat.... and i also put my 600 watt amp under the driver seat and two 12s in the trunk...... i didnt do the install my self but had it done for $100 at cartoys (they suck).... but what you need is a "high low cross over" to make your amp work with the stock deck and no RCAs

good luck

I had two amps running off my factory deck for a month until I finally put an alpine in yesterday. It sounded good with the factory deck, but is better now with the alpine. All the connections are behind the radio.
    03 WRB sedan

I got a $25 hi/lo converter. That gives you the pre-amps so you can connect your RCAs into it.
    Rubber Duckies Fair Well in the Rain

I think you could get away w/ the stock headunit, but you will be severly bottlenecked by it once you get to a certain point. I say go w/ the stock headunit for a while, then upgrade at a later date if you feel the need.
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

200th post, whoring it up on this one.
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

0db
    Originally posted by ryland
    I think you could get away w/ the stock headunit, but you will be severly bottlenecked by it once you get to a certain point. I say go w/ the stock headunit for a while, then upgrade at a later date if you feel the need.
    I think that's exactly what I need to do for now. I've got a whole load of oscilloscopes at work which should help in matching levels and gains to get the most/best signal possible from the stock head through an adapter, and that should work for now. Oh and congrats on that 200th post.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.