fitting Focal Utopias in WRX STi

This is a discussion on fitting Focal Utopias in WRX STi within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Does anyone know if you can fit any of the Focal Utopia series speakers in the WRX/WRX STi? I have ...

fitting Focal Utopias in WRX STi

Does anyone know if you can fit any of the Focal Utopia series speakers in the WRX/WRX STi? I have Focal PolyKevlars now and they are amazing. I am thinkin that I would want to put 5.25" Focal Utopias up front, 4" focal Utopias or Polykevlars in the back and get a JL audio amp to run them on. Not sure on the head unit or sub yet.

Focal Link:

http://www.focal-jmlab.fr/gb/sommaire.htm
    STi or EVO, which one is right for me?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well no one has an STi yet, so i don't know...

Well I am also addressing the question to the standard WRX.

I am assuming they will be somewhat similar in what they can fit.

i think that for the front doors of a WRX the deepest you can get is 2.7 inches with a spacer.

Thanks Kwyjibo!

The Focal Utopia 136W has a mounting depth of 66.5mm, that is about 2.64"(67mm) so they will just barely fit with a spacer.

These are the 5-3/8" woofer Utopias. That is the same size as the PolyKevlar Focals I currently have.....maybe I should just keep those and save that money for the rest of the system...

Is this "spacer" just some plastic washers or is it something I can buy especially for the WRX?

Also, I was looking in my friends WRX and the back door speakers seem to have quite limited space...

The Utopias and PolyKevlars don't have a 4" line either....what to do....Any suggestions?

(if you have heard Focals you understand the addiction)

Picture of my next SUB!:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 33wxfocalsub.jpg  

I tried fitting the polykevlars into my car to no avail, without having to cut the doorpanels, so I went with the access components. I have a set of the polyglass 4" in my back doors.

I'd like to know how you got the polykevlars to fit, beacause I basically had mine sitting on the window when it was rolled down, and when I put the door panels on the woofer hit the inside of the doorpanel, and I had shaved it as much as possible.
    03 WRB sedan

You are aware Focal's are French?

I Support ClubWRX

Focals

Yup, French company. I love their stuff too, terrific sound and if well sorted it won't produce the mid-fi style, shrill, boomy rubbish common in way too many systems... I also like their home audio stuff; I've heard absolutely awesome sound from JMLab speakers in shows and at homes - held their own nicely compared to reference systems of the time like the B&W 801. But back to the topic...

... I've looked at the Focal line and have played around with a number of ideas, but I just don't think the polykevlars will fit the door panels - the math comes out just right, but in reality... If anyone gets them to fit without major door panel surgery, *please* post!

Has anyone gone at the plastic door skin underside with a dremel? Has that helped or just ruined stuff?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

0db
    Originally posted by R-32 Dreams
    You are aware Focal's are French?
    And clearly anyone who disagrees with this country's foreign policy can't make a good speaker. I don't see any japanese troops storming Iraq but you're still driving a subaru.

Must we involve politics in EVERY decision we make in our lives?

Just pointing it out. Japan did however back the US actions.

I don't have the PolyKevlars in a WRX, they are in my Isuzu Rodeo. I am planning on getting a WRX STi though, and am very interested in fitting some Utopia or PolyKevlar Focals in the front doors! I will fit them even if I have to cut the doors!
    So if anyone has some advice on this, let us know.

Also, yes, I am aware that the Focals are French, and they sound incredible! How do you even know that the people at JMLabs (the makers of Focal) agree with Frances Foreign Policy Decisions, and frankly who cares if they do. Remember Pearl Harbor.....Oh Crap you better not buy a Subaru then!

Go to Nasioc and do a search for a user named East Coast Scoobie, he makes spacers for all sorts of speakers. I don't think he will have one for the STI yet though...but he probably knows a good deal about what fits, and what doesn't.

Thanks again Kwyj, I will try that out