Premium sound in 03 rex
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Premium sound in 03 rex within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; what speakers come in the "premium sound" option are they worth it? I have a 2000 dollar system in my ...

Banned

Premium sound in 03 rex

what speakers come in the "premium sound" option are they worth it? I have a 2000 dollar system in my car now and the front speakers wont fit in the WRX and im wondering if the premium audio is worth the money because im sure you wont be able to hear the stock speakers over my 12' alpha sonic subs

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm really a big fan of my rex but the speakers really kind of suck. From what I gather, premium sound adds two more speakers (in the wagon anyway) and a subwoofer under the passenger's seat. It's panasonic stuff, and paper cones for the woofers (not the sub). Im not happy with the sound at all - I have the regular not premium package but installed the subaru subwoofer. Anyone else, and anyone got ideas for good speakers that could replace or add to what I have?

Banned

Originally posted by dsel
    I'm really a big fan of my rex but the speakers really kind of suck. From what I gather, premium sound adds two more speakers (in the wagon anyway) and a subwoofer under the passenger's seat. It's panasonic stuff, and paper cones for the woofers (not the sub). Im not happy with the sound at all - I have the regular not premium package but installed the subaru subwoofer. Anyone else, and anyone got ideas for good speakers that could replace or add to what I have?
    Way off. The stock speakers are paper cones, all 4 of them. The premium sound upgrade replaces ALL stock woofers (excl tweeters) with poly cones, and adds an 80w subwoofer under passenger seat.

I have no idea what company makes the speakers, they weren't branded. Compared to stock, the premium sound upgrade is a huge improvement. It can't even be compared to a high end aftermarket system though. Apples and oranges. If you are looking for decent but not stellar performance while retaining the stock appearance, the premium sound is a great option. Anything better and you need to go aftermarket.

I got all of mine (subwoofer and premium speakers) off of ebay for CHEEEEAP, and IMHO it was $$ well spent. Nothing compared to my Alpine/MBQuart/JL setup in my previous car, but way better than the stock paper crapola speakers (which I still have sitting in a box, maybe I'll sell them on ebay).
    Last edited by Wade-0; 03-25-2003 at 02:04 PM.

Re: Premium sound in 03 rex

Originally posted by WRXMasTERMiND
    what speakers come in the "premium sound" option are they worth it? I have a 2000 dollar system in my car now and the front speakers wont fit in the WRX and im wondering if the premium audio is worth the money because im sure you wont be able to hear the stock speakers over my 12' alpha sonic subs
    What car do you have now that it can fit 12 foot speakers?

Sorry, had to!
    College, the best ten years of my life.
    2003 WR Blue Pearl WRX Sedan

the WRX sedan has 4" holes in the doors? is this correct. If so then I have to sell my Bostons when I get the WRX
    --Jason-- 2004 MT WRB WRX
    Cobb Stage 2 more goodies:
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

Rear door = 4"
    Front door = 5.25"

this is the only car I have ever owned with bigger speakers in the front than the rear, but if you want cheap premium go to ebay, i saw the sub for 100 and the whole 4 speaker for 200
    --Little John--

Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    --Colin McRae

"Power is nothing without control"

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/engine-flat-4.gif

"Are you OK to drink?"

I have the premium sound system. I feel like sometimes I kinda wanna upgrade even though im not hugely into my stero. I dont even have it on half the time. I kinda just want to upgrade the actuall stero, to something smaller so I have room for my boost controller and what not when I get them. And I wanna be able to play MP3's.

I was thinking of just getting that thing that uses a HD that goes in your trunk for the MP3 player.

How much of an improvement would I be able to exspect without getting differnt speakers and what not. Plus it would be nice to have a clock in my car.
    -Andrew

I've got the upgraded system and I think it kinda sucks. I'm disappointed in it for the $. Then again, I was also disappinted in the Bose system in my new Maxima and I just spent $1250 on aftermarket equipment for that car. I don't plan on spending any $ on the WRX stereo though. Its a "toy" and I'd rather put the cash towards performance. I can't help but think the upgraded system would sound better with an aftermarket sub though. I don't know if this would help or not, just my initial reaction...
    2003 WRX Sedan
    2004 Nissan Xterra SE 4x4

speakers

I have a new wagen and even the premium sound sucks. Any suggestions... Audio forum.... I came from a GTI with moonsoon sound and it was much cleaner. Even my ford sounds much better. O Well, need an exhaust to listen to instead I guess
    03 WRX Wagon
    03 Mustang GT vert

Banned
    I have 6x9's and it sucks because they are 3 way pioneer speakers and are really nice and they wont fit on the wrx i have to sell them with the car i am taking out my 300W amp, capacitor, and my 2 12's and they hit really loud so i wont the front speakers to be good so i can hear them over my subs

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone whose added an aftermarket amp to the factory speaker setup. Looking at the actual drivers, they aren't that bad. I've seen much worse in most of the systems I replaced (always that yellow/brown paper crap). I think these things can take a lot more power than the factory deck is putting out.

I have a couple amps kicking around unused, but it just seemed to be a big hassle to deal with splicing in an amp to the factory wiring without going all the way and replacing the head unit, wiring, and speakers, and then deal with converting the inputs to accept the factory stereo inputs instead of RCA.

Anyone try it yet?

ok so i just took a pair of 6" pioneer's (with 180deg swival horn) out of my MR2. Thinking of putting them in the front doors of my WRX. Will the "highs" sound extra loud running a 6in speaker with a builtin horn while using the factory tweeters? Id like to use these speakers but if they sound bad ill just sell em and get some Kappa components.

I[ll be putting an aftermarket amp in with the stock speakers in the next 2weeks. But I am also upgrading my HU too. But I'll let you know how it sounds
    --Little John--

Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    --Colin McRae

"Power is nothing without control"

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/engine-flat-4.gif

"Are you OK to drink?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.