Premium sound in 03 rex - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Premium sound in 03 rex within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 0260B4U - Stock speaks, or the premium upgrade? I don't think those cheapo paper stockers can handle more than deck ...

0260B4U - Stock speaks, or the premium upgrade? I don't think those cheapo paper stockers can handle more than deck power, but I guess you'll find out!

Richie - good luck fitting the 6" Pioneers in there without custom work. Most 5.25" won't even fit, it's a very odd 3 hole mounting pattern with an angled baffle. If you have the premium speakers now, you might be able to cut off the baffle and reuse it. Crutchfield doesn't even show any inventory that will fit that location. That's kind of why I decided to go with the premiums and not worry about it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

stock speakers, but with the clarity of the HU that I have and it has no internal power will be running off another amp with filter and EQ on it, it will clean and scrub the signal alot better than the stock HU. PLus I have internal Xovers in the HU and can program anything imaginable on each channel. So I hope it will do a bit. But since the bass response on the stock sucks i'll still have to be careful.
    Heres s bit on it

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/CLADRX9675Z

SoundDomain.com Overview

Ever wonder who invented the first car radio? The short answer to that question is: Clarion! The model A-214 was introduced in 1948, and Clarion has been blazing a mobilesound trail ever since. From the world's first transistor car radio, to in-car computer and navigation systems, Clarion leads the way in technology and innovation. One look at the top-of-the-line DRX9575Rz, and you'll know Clarion is at the cutting edge. This motorized, fully-sloping, detachable face deck features Clarion's exclusive Z-Enhancer equalizer with adjustable effects. More than just an EQ, the Z-Enhancer can help compensate for poor vehicle acoustics. But the real jewel in this deck's crown is the incredible 64-color full dot-matrix display. You get all the information you could want - including CD Text (from compatible CDs), disc titles, and station titles - in a large, easy to read screen. If that wasn't enough, there's a built-in EQ, Digital Signal Processing (DSP), and crossover function. The DRX9675Rz is designed to be the heart of an audiophile sound system, with 6-channel, 4-volt preamp outputs with subwoofer level control, multi-changer capability, and CeNet TV Tuner control. The Zero-Bit Detector mute circuit shuns any unwanted low-level CD noise, while the high-end 24-bit D/A converter with 8X oversampling ensures flawless CD playback. Clarion's famous Magi-Tune+ tuner pulls in tunes loud and clear, and is even Sirius satellite radio compatible (requires Sirius tuner module, available separately). Includes a wireless handheld remote control. NOTE: The DRX9675Rz is preamp only it requires external amplifiers.
    --Little John--

Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    --Colin McRae

"Power is nothing without control"

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/engine-flat-4.gif

"Are you OK to drink?"

Well they are finally installed and I have to say im extremely pleased with the difference, I actually cant belive how good they sound for being the stock speakers. But like I said it all comes down to how good of a headunit you have.Plus it's preamp and gets scrubed squeeky clean. Sounds like i have all new speakers in the doors.

My opinion spend the money on a decent HU rather tan speakers firts. It dont matter if you have 100$ tewweters if you got acrapy HU pushing it they are still gonna sound like crap
    --Little John--

--Colin McRae

"Are you OK to drink?"

I have not heard stock speakers as I have the upgrade, as do all the other WRX owners that I know. If I had it to do over again I would not have gotten the sound upgrade. My hearing isn't the best (I've been in bands for 8 years) and I can hear the speakers distort even at low volumes. You can get better aftermarket stuff for less than the upgrade. I'll probably just end up replacing it anyhow. After I'm happy with my fastness upgrades of course...
    Current mods on my 2003 Silver WRX: Autospeed Flex Uppipe, Perrin Downpipe w/cat, TXS UTEC, Goodrich Stainless Steel Brake Lines, TXS HPBC [15.9 PSI]. Valentine One. Tuned by God. Silencer Free.

yeah with the upgraded HU I have no distortion at all
    --Little John--

--Colin McRae

"Are you OK to drink?"

Upgrade

Have the upgraded audio in my 03. THEY ARE ABSOLUTE POS. My 00 Eclipse had a better stock sound and one speaker was blown! They volume is VERY low, and if you turn it up you get major distortion. If you turn off the subwoofer you get next to nothing. The sub is JUNK, cheap, and pathetic. Attention attention, Subaru is ripping us off with this. I'm getting an aftermarket system this weekend thankfully. But stay away from it, it is just a cheap cheap system.

YEah though the stock speakers held up pretty well to higher volumes with a high end HU. Though I did reach the limits since I already blew my right rear speaker. Guess that's what I get for running 240w through the stocks
    --Little John--

--Colin McRae

"Are you OK to drink?"

hey front speakers are 5.25 and back are 4 right?

so the 6..5 will have to modify the hole right?

Anyone got pics of the stocks speakers I got some 6 1/2 but want to see the size, they also have xternal crossovers.
    --Little John--

--Colin McRae

"Are you OK to drink?"

that sounds sweet as hell. but how much is it
    -Andrew

I listen to NPR or my engine more than I do music so the premium speaks serve me well. Add just a touch of bass and they sound like crap.

Somebody sell me a stock subwoofer.

X

Originally posted by LemonHerb
    that sounds sweet as hell. but how much is it
    It's about $850 I think.
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

that aint bad at all my HU was 800 brand new, I wanted the DVD flip up but 2k was alot to spend on a HU
    --Little John--

--Colin McRae

"Are you OK to drink?"

Originally posted by MasterMiNDWRX
    whats an HU???
    Head Unit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12