4-Point Harnesses
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42

This is a discussion on 4-Point Harnesses within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently bought myself a 2003 WRX... Anyhow, I'm interested in putting four point harnesses on the stock seats... how ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    A military man, so I'm all over...
    Posts
    1

    4-Point Harnesses

    I recently bought myself a 2003 WRX... Anyhow, I'm interested in putting four point harnesses on the stock seats... how would I go about this, how should I mount the shoulder straps, and what would I have to disable/rewire in the car's present strap system?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User CustomS10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Western Mass
    Posts
    7,959
    well there are no wires. but u take the shoulder straps and the Y fitting and bolt them to a bolt behind the back seat. keep the stockers cuz the backseat u can't use if the harness is in.

    also WELCOME TO THE CLUB!
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

  4. #3
    Moderator schischwein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    1,999
    I Support ClubWRX
    Actually that's not really a good location to mount harnesses. You shouldn't have the mount point greater than 25deg from the horizontal and should try to keep it towards 0(exception would be if you have a diversion bar, like a harness bar that isn't used to mount but just to keep the harness horizontal when the mount point is greater than 25deg). Why does angle matter? In the event of a crash(forward), your body will lurch forward and should the harness the mounted at a great angle, the harness will be given more slack to move you forward(towards the steering) as it ripes through the seat. As the latter happens, there is also a chance of you compressing your spine.

    A good way to mount harnesses while keeping the rear seats usable is to get a harness bar.

  5. #4
    Registered User CustomS10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Western Mass
    Posts
    7,959
    Originally posted by schischwein
    Actually that's not really a good location to mount harnesses. You shouldn't have the mount point greater than 25deg from the horizontal and should try to keep it towards 0(exception would be if you have a diversion bar, like a harness bar that isn't used to mount but just to keep the harness horizontal when the mount point is greater than 25deg). Why does angle matter? In the event of a crash(forward), your body will lurch forward and should the harness the mounted at a great angle, the harness will be given more slack to move you forward(towards the steering) as it ripes through the seat. As the latter happens, there is also a chance of you compressing your spine.

    A good way to mount harnesses while keeping the rear seats usable is to get a harness bar.
    can u throw up a quick diagram of what u mean because i'm not sure what u mean by the angles and stuff, slanting up down etc...
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

  6. #5
    Registered User jar_e_d sti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Ok
    Posts
    220
    I have seen the harness bars before. (the ones that mount right behind the driver and passenger seets, right?). I was wondering what those mount to and the prices of them. They do look fairly easy to fabricate in home though. Just wondering your suggestions on that too.
    --Jared

    go fast, take the apex(no matter what)

  7. #6
    Registered User iv30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    427
    This is the best way to mount a harness

    halfway down the page
    http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/safety/hbars.asp

  8. #7
    Moderator schischwein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    1,999
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by iv30
    This is the best way to mount a harness

    halfway down the page
    http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/safety/hbars.asp
    Apart from a cage of course..

  9. #8
    Registered User CustomS10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Western Mass
    Posts
    7,959
    looks like a days work 2 fab it up, now i know it's bad 2 mount them straight down parallel to the seat but why?
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

  10. #9
    Moderator schischwein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    1,999
    I Support ClubWRX
    Read above...in the event of a crash, the harnesses will rip through the seat vertically allowing slack(ie your body moves forward) and there's the possibly of spinal compression(more likely if you have a 5point or 6point because you can't slide under)

  11. #10
    Registered User CustomS10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Western Mass
    Posts
    7,959
    Originally posted by schischwein
    Read above...in the event of a crash, the harnesses will rip through the seat vertically allowing slack(ie your body moves forward) and there's the possibly of spinal compression(more likely if you have a 5point or 6point because you can't slide under)
    rip thru the seat??! u better me flying off a cliff for it to go thru the seat.
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

  12. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    I grew up around Chicago, but go to school in Peoria
    Posts
    49
    If you really care about safety I would suggest a 5 point harness.

  13. #12
    afpdl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sugar Land(houston), TX
    Posts
    2,531
    Originally posted by 128d
    If you really care about safety I would suggest a 5 point harness.
    If you really really care about saftey dont use a harness on public streets unless you have a roll cage. If you roll with a harness you cant move your head anywhere so you pretty much get crushed. There is a reason tracks will not let you run harnesses unless you have rollover protection.
    Alex

  14. #13

    Registered User

    amccrazgrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    richmond va
    Posts
    665
    so are you basically saying keep the stock seats with the seabelts in the car.......unless u have a rollcage with the harness seatbelts.
    b/c i like the harness ones but wont have a rollcage.

  15. #14
    afpdl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sugar Land(houston), TX
    Posts
    2,531
    No Im not saying that I said if you want to be as safe as possible. I would use a harness for autoxing since the chance of rollover is slim and if it does occur it would be at low speed so the roof should not cave much. But I would not use them on a track or street because if a rollover occurs it could be at higher speeds and my head could get crushed. Also they do not really have a benefit on the street. While autoxing they hold you in your seat and help you feel the car better but on the street they just take a long time to put on. They really will not help in the case of a wreck since whiplash will be greater sicnce your body will be held still but your head will be free to swing forward. Remember racecars with harnesses also have head restraints to keep the driver from getting whiplash.

    If you think the benefits of a harness outweigh the chance of having a roll over then go ahead with the harness. I personally have seen way to many stories and pics of people rolling their wrx's.
    Alex

  16. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    I grew up around Chicago, but go to school in Peoria
    Posts
    49
    Originally posted by afpdl
    If you really really care about saftey dont use a harness on public streets unless you have a roll cage. If you roll with a harness you cant move your head anywhere so you pretty much get crushed. There is a reason tracks will not let you run harnesses unless you have rollover protection.
    ^
    To add to that I wouldnt recomend a roll cage without a helmet. In the event of a side impact your head is gona be pretty sore after it bounces off the side beam.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •