4-Point Harnesses - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on 4-Point Harnesses within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; On a side note I just thought of a way to get the harnesses and rool cage with out the ...

I grew up around Chicago, but go to school in Peoria
    On a side note I just thought of a way to get the harnesses and rool cage with out the helmet. There are a few seats that have huge head bolsters for just such a thing. I am not so sure about how well that will work but its an option. Off hand i cant think of any spefic seats but I believe Momo makes a set like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Just about any motorsport seat maker has a model with head restraint hoops. They are usually listed as some touring seat or the like. I think Sparco even offers a cheap unit apart from the fiberglass and CF ones....in steel, although with the steel seat you run into the same problem of skull hardness testing. Actually most people put thick industrial foam lining tubes that might come into contact with the driver or co-pilot. Most often the diagonal bar near the head is protected with foam.

Originally posted by schischwein
    When you get different seats, the harness bar stays...
    For choosing seats, choose one that is snug but comfortable.
    Yeah, snug is one of the top things I desire. There are a few different ones I've seen here and there. I'll obviously want to find a local dealer and people with the seats so I can try them out to see if I think they will work for me. I'm not big on the comfort ride, and sit totally upright. A good snug ride, and some 4 or 5 points will make me feel more secure. Obviously, it needs to be done right though! Which I fully intend on doing.
    Since this is something I will probably do in the next few months, knowing this now helps!

Again, I appreciate the information!

I intend on using the stock seats and 4 points for a while. I paid $1500 for leather seats, so I'd like to at least get use out of them! I'm guessing Sparco is a good brand for the belts?

~ Dan (Zapix)

I like harness and all, but i wouldnt have one unless i have a full cage. I would like to lean forward to make a turn onto a busy road. just not practical (to an extent, not safe) for street use.

But personally, i think harness, race seats, cages are useless to most people, because most people are sitting in the seat completely WRONG! Harness and rollcage arent gona help ya if ya want to have that "gansta lean". more or less just some cool stuff in the car.

Sit IN THE SEAT right would prevent alot of injury, fatique, and better control and feedback to and from the car. I personally trust the research and development modern respectable car makers put into their crash test, i would leave everything else on the race track.

I have picked up some basic hand books on professional and solo/autocross racing, in them there are GOOD DRIVING Tips and techniques, safey issues, very very useful information. I think everyone should pick up a copy.

Side note: If they replaced all air bags w/ big giant metal spike that darts out, there WONT BE any accidents!!
    Last edited by ScaryFast_EJ20; 04-09-2003 at 03:20 AM.

Yeah, I know what you mean about proper seating position and all.

I used to be over relaxed when I had my Ford ZX2. Not all leaning down ghetto racer, but not upright as I should have been. One hand on the wheel, etc.

When I got my WRX, sitting upright just felt natural, even when I took a test drive. It seemed like the right thing. Strangely, I was reading information from turnfast.com about seating positions. Some people sit too close, some sit too far back, etc etc. Anyways, I found I was already sitting in the correct position according to them! I was pretty happy with that!

I find with my driving style, the stock 3 points just don't hold me in securely enough. I feel too loose at times, and that there is took much slack on my right side. I'm hoping with 4points this issue will be fixed, and later more stiff with better seats.

If I can ever afford it though, I would like to take some performance driving lessons, and get some good track time. I can't push myself or my car on city streets any further than I already have. My next driving levels are not meant for it! So, I'm hoping to take part in some local autox this year, and maybe next year if I feel I need it, which there always room to improve, get some lessons at SkipBarber or whatever.

If anything, I gotta say for only having my license since Sept. of 2001, I'm doing very well. Course, being 23 years old helps too! (yeah, I know I know! I didn't get my license till I was 21. I had no interest in cars or driving!)

The only issue I see with 4-points is that I have a feeling police won't be thrilled about it. Not to mention being needlessly pulled over because they don't see the 3 point strap coming down over your shoulder, they assume you're not wearing a seatbelt. You get pulled over, they see you have 4points, then maybe assume your car isn't street legal... Something you people like myself who want harnesses should think about!!! I did, and I'll take my chances. Police around here strangely like to wave to me, and they are seeing my car evolve with time, so I'm not too concerned about the locals.

~ Dan (Zapix)

I Support ClubWRX
    Scaryfast, the fact that you have to lean forward to turn sharply suggests that you are either too far in seating position or too leant back.

As for all this talk on 4point harnesses and safety, I'd also like to add that Ford and Volvo(well same company) plan on introducing 4point harnesses(in a simple form without rachet style pull down) into their street cars in the near future.

Zapix, what I mean by comfortable is that there are no pressure points while seated. Snug is good, tight is bad. While the stock seats by no means feel as good as numerous other pure racing seats I've tried, by no means should you feel loose in it. Upright seating is good, but the looseness you encounter might stem from your legs being too far outstretched(ie you're too far back). Essentially you are resting your entire weight on the seat as you flail about in corners. Try using the footrest as well.

Scaryfast, the fact that you have to lean forward to turn sharply suggests that you are either too far in seating position or too leant back.

ummm no, try making a left out of my neighborhood w/ bushes and trees in the way at 5pm. i bet you'll lean just to get a better look

Zapix, what I mean by comfortable is that there are no pressure points while seated. Snug is good, tight is bad. While the stock seats by no means feel as good as numerous other pure racing seats I've tried, by no means should you feel loose in it. Upright seating is good, but the looseness you encounter might stem from your legs being too far outstretched(ie you're too far back). Essentially you are resting your entire weight on the seat as you flail about in corners. Try using the footrest as well.
    Er... I meant more in right shoulder area. It's because the belt doesn't cover that side. Nothing do with how close I am. I'm close, but close to the degree you're supposed to me. Not so you're against the wheel, and not so you're in the backseat!
    I tend to counter it with pressing myself back against the seat and tightening the belt. Rarely do I ever need to do that though. Only when I'm coming off certain exit ramps! *COUGH*

For the most part, I feel snug and secure. Just not as much as I think I could be. Being tight so I can't move at all? I'd go insane! May as well put yourself in a cage with no way out! I've been thinking about different versions of the RECAROs, but again... I'd need to actually sit in them to know what it is that is right for me. Obviously need to be able to move my arms freely for steering, and be able to move freely enough to get out in the event of an emergency!

I Support ClubWRX
    ScaryFast: My bad, I wasn't clear on your remark and thought that during a spirited driving session, you had an inclination to lean your body forward.....in which case I would reply with a " "
    Last edited by schischwein; 04-09-2003 at 11:24 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Zapix
    Er... I meant more in right shoulder area. It's because the belt doesn't cover that side. Nothing do with how close I am. I'm close, but close to the degree you're supposed to me. Not so you're against the wheel, and not so you're in the backseat!
    I tend to counter it with pressing myself back against the seat and tightening the belt. Rarely do I ever need to do that though. Only when I'm coming off certain exit ramps! *COUGH*

For the most part, I feel snug and secure. Just not as much as I think I could be. Being tight so I can't move at all? I'd go insane! May as well put yourself in a cage with no way out! I've been thinking about different versions of the RECAROs, but again... I'd need to actually sit in them to know what it is that is right for me. Obviously need to be able to move my arms freely for steering, and be able to move freely enough to get out in the event of an emergency!
    Yes definately try out a seat before buying(should you decide to buy from an online source or one that involves shipping). Just about any motorsport seat maker is about the same in construction, it boils down to how you fit in it. Some companies like Cobra(from UK) offer several sizes of the same model to accomodate you. Sparco only offers this in limited models...most notably the EVO-->EVO3(I've tried the EVO2 which is rather wide, I imagine the 3 is like a LZ-Boy). Sparco also has custom seats available should you feel free in the wallet to fly to Italy to sit in a computer assisted mold. Recaro also has a wide selection of styles and sizes. OMP is another company with a long history but doesn't seem common in the US.

Well, I was recently at a NESIC meet here CT, but I didn't see any with different seats.

I'll have to find a few places locally. I know a guy who works at a nearby Subaru dealership who might know of a few places. Course, like I said... I wanna get the use out of my current leather seats.

Also trying to figure out of it's possible to get custom leather done. I'd like to have the same pattern with the 'WRX' stitching, but if that's possible, I don't know. I'm guessing professionally done, it is. I know leather cuts down your grip in the seat, but I prefer leather much much more to cloth.

Here is a pic of the leather in my car...
    You've probably seen this on the boards!
    I'd love that same design on a nice set of RECAROs, SPARCOs or whatever.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wrx_d03.jpg  

ScaryFast: My bad, I wasn't clear on your remark and thought that during a spirited driving session, you had an inclination to lean your body forward.....in which case I would reply with a " "
    point taken

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.