4-Point Harnesses - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 4-Point Harnesses within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by 128d ^ To add to that I wouldnt recomend a roll cage without a helmet. In the ...

Originally posted by 128d
    ^
    To add to that I wouldnt recomend a roll cage without a helmet. In the event of a side impact your head is gona be pretty sore after it bounces off the side beam.
    side airbags
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by SpeedRacerWRX02
    side airbags
    ...are blocked by the side bar.

Basically, its like this:

If harness, then rollcage.
    If rollcage, then helmet.
    If helmet, then I'll laugh at you driving to the grocery store.

Originally posted by Rancid

just got 0wn3d on that one rancid! haha. dude no one would dare steal my spot if i showed up to get some bread with a helmet and harness.
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

I just got OWN3D? You don't make sense to me.

I just got OWN3D? You don't make sense to me.
    0wn3d (owned)- verb. Own, Own*ing, Owned, Owns, Own*age

a. To be made a B****/sweet-boy.
    b. To have total control of.

2. To be beaten down/stomped-on.

The ScaryFast Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, First Edition
    Copyright © 2003 by ScaryFast Company.
    Published by ScaryFast Company. All rights reserved
    Last edited by ScaryFast_EJ20; 04-07-2003 at 03:57 AM.

I know what it means. But how was I 0wn3d?

Normally I would refrain from posting a possible innacurate perception, but...

I believe Speed was saying that he got owned by

Totally stock...yep uh huh :P

Thanks

OK OK... Here's a question (actually.. Deal with it! questions!).

Since I'm also in the party of people who want to get that harness bar and 4 point belts (Sparco for me, thanks!) and keeping the stock seats...

I saw this done at a recent meet. Posting a picture of it as well. I think it looked pretty good, and overall pretty safe. You said hooking the connector to the rear behind the rear seats is not safe? DO EXPLAIN, and please explain where with the harness bar from speedware you would hook up the belts to make them as safe as possible!

As for rolling... BAH! I'm not worried about the WRX rolling over. WTF are the chances that will happen! Should that ever happen anyways, I hope I do die, because I don't wanna see my car get screwed up! I love my car!

Now, what the heck is this about the belts ripping through the seat?!? Spinal damage? Falling under the belts? Makes it should like a trip to Disney Land! Isn't the idea for these to hold in the seat more securely! Which is.. EXACTLY WHAT I PREFER! Oh, and I've heard 5 points are not compatible with the stock seats.

As for the problem with not being able to move your head if you in 4points... Hell, I can't move my head a lot in the stock belts! Sure, I can lean a little over and rest over in the passenger seat and look around in my glove compartment while I drive. This isn't a Civic though, so eh... I prefer not to drive like that! I find little situation where there is any time you'll get into an accident where the WRX is going to be wheels up, roof/hood down. This isn't exactly an SUV! I've never seen a car belly up. Not even on Nascar.

128D, you can cure that headache from the roll cage with some asprin! Not to mention, it's an added bonus that people (family and friends) will stop asking you to take them places!

Rancid, that is great! I love what you said! Pretty funny, as much as it is true to some degree! Course... You don't know me! I WOULD DRIVE TO THE GROCERY STORE WITH A HELMET ON!
    Heck, one day I wore my headsock from a karting place to the grocery store. Somebody said I reminded them of Rocky and Bullwinkle! LMAO! Imagine showing up with the helmet! "Say, are you a race car driver?!?" "Yes I am. You probably haven't seen me on TV though. Would you like my autograph?"

And ScaryFast... I am still laughing at your definition of "OWN3D"!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_1627.jpg  

Hmm usually I see harnesses connected to the stock mounting locations of the rear seatbelts not the child saftey latches. I dont know if the saftey latches are designed to support the weight of a full sized adult or not.

Im not telling you not to get a harness but quite a few people have rolled their wrx's. Its not hard when you overcook a turn and meet a curve or try offroading in a field and catch a rut (one wrx flipped last week at a autox from sliding off course and catching a rut.

The main reason I wouldnt use them on the street is the increased chance of a bad case of whiplash, with the harness your body is held against the seat and a neck just isnt that strong. But do what you want, its your car and your life, do what makes you happy.
    Alex

The car I posted is XXTunings car. The said he used that setup because he found it to be the safest, as well as you'd still be able to use the stock belts, front and rear.

Oh, I forgot to ask... Say I installed Recaro seats... How would 4 or 5 point belts hook up then? Also with the use of a harness bar, or something else?

~ Dan (Zapix)

PS: I forgot to mention... DRIVER... that is a hilarious avatar!
    PS3/360 ID: Zapix

MIA Western Mass Impreza Club / MIA Connecticut Impreza Club

My 2002 WRB WRX

2003 Northeast Subaru Impreza Club Regional Meet

I Support ClubWRX
    I said that the mounting of harnesses below 25deg is not good. Generally that would entail mounting the harness to the lower part of the rear seat(ie like at the buckle). As for spinal injury, this would be in the case of a serious head on collision. Should the harness be mounted low(in the picture it is not), simple physics will tell you that as the weight of your body tends forward, there would be no upward force to maintain the harness angle except the seat. Therefore, the forward force is tending the harness to the horizontal, that is impeded by a simple seat. Furthermore, your shoulders generally come above the main backstay of the seat(assuming you're not a midget) and thus the pressure is mostly on your shoulders. So in a serious crash, your shoulders are pulled downward giving the possibility of spinal compression. Even with harness holes in race seats, a serious crash is enough to break through the hole hitting your shoulders if the harness in mounted too low.

Actually I wouldn't be too worried about whiplash from harnesses. While many roadracers do in fact use neck protectors, many don't...and in rally, almost never. The drivers have the weight of the helmet in addition to their own head and they tend to manage quite well.

Also in terms of rollover protection, Subaru's "integral cage" part of the unibody is pretty strong. While I wouldn't say that the car would be very driveable afterward, I haven't seen any rollovers that have collapsed significantly. There are also many car manufacturers that use harnesses as standard(mostly trackday specials) that don't have real roll over protection either.

What I don't understand about the pic is why the owner would buy the harness bar if he wasn't going to mount the harness to it(ie buy wrap around shoulder harnesses). I would understand if he used it as a guidebar for mounting the harness to the buckle location(ie below 25deg) to prevent the above. When the harness is mounted as such, there's no need for the harness bar to be there. If he had wrap around shoulder harnesses mounted to the harness bar, he would also be able to use the harness with passengers in back rather than revert to the standard 3pt and disconnect the other strap.
    Last edited by schischwein; 04-07-2003 at 11:30 PM.

I grew up around Chicago, but go to school in Peoria
    Ha Ha Ha Ha that is some funny ****.

Originally posted by schischwein
    I said (very long post!)
    Thanks for the information! Very very informative! GOD I LOVE CLUBWRX! And as always, you mods are always very helpful!

You mentioned wrap around harnesses... Not sure exactly what you mean... I'm guessing you mean like 4 points that directly connect with the harness bar, eliminating the piece taking up the read seats?
    Is so, how would rate the safety of that? About the same? Little less, little more?

This is something I highly intend on doing either before stage 1, or no later than before stage 2. And from Speedware, I intend on getting the one with the fire ext.

I later in time intend on getting Recaro seats or maybe Sparco seats. Do the belts connect into the seat, or is a harness bar still needed? I'l taking it, it's still needed, as the pressure from a collision, the belts would tend to rip out of the seat, and totally skip the whole concept of protection! Am I correct about that?

I've been in the community now since August, and since then I've been trying to learn as much about cars as I can. I never cared a thing about cars until I saw Initial D a year ago, and it was August I really started to learn beyond the things Initial D taught me. So, excuse me if some of my questions seem basic. Better off asking people who do know, than just saying "Hey, I'll do this!" BANG YOU'RE DEAD!

~ Dan (Zapix)

I Support ClubWRX
    When you get different seats, the harness bar stays...
    For choosing seats, choose one that is snug but comfortable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.