Stereo Interference
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stereo Interference within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Please Help! I've installed all my new audio, but I am getting interference from the RCA's running from the amp ...

Question Stereo Interference

Please Help!

I've installed all my new audio, but I am getting interference from the RCA's running from the amp under my seat to the amp in the trunk.

I have tried moving the RCA's so that they are as far away from the power wires as possible, (power down driver's side, RCA's down Passenger side) but the interference is still there.

What can I do????

Thanks in advance!

Spencer

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Try a ground loop isolator and make sure everything is properly grounded in your trunk.
    2003 WR Blue WRX - Godspeed Up/Down pipe - Prodrive Axel Back - MBC (14.75psi in 3rd) - 220 WHP on Dynopak (93oct)

what is a ground loop isolater?

Or get better RCAs.
    No one will truely be free until nerd persecution ends.

A ground loop isolator will take out that buzz you hear from ground feed back that is going into your audio lines. You can pick them up fairly cheap at any car audio store or even radio shack iirc.
    2003 WR Blue WRX - Godspeed Up/Down pipe - Prodrive Axel Back - MBC (14.75psi in 3rd) - 220 WHP on Dynopak (93oct)

Thanks for the help guys!

I'm already running $35 Monster Cable RCA's... i would think that these would be sufficently shielded...

As for the ground loop isolator, how much $ will it cost me?

also, the interference I'm getting is a high pitched whine that coinsides with engine rpm's... its not really a buzz.

I'm going to go to Radio Shack after work, so wish me luck.

Originally posted by VA Beach WRX

As for the ground loop isolator, how much $ will it cost me?

also, the interference I'm getting is a high pitched whine that coinsides with engine rpm's... its not really a buzz.

<$20

I had a similar problem and the GLI fixed it. You may have to pick it up from a car audio store. I'mm not sure Radio Shack carries them.

help!

I bought the gli and instlled it between my two amps last night... but there was NO improvement in interference!

Any other ideas?

You know, when you are running 2 amps you have to ground them seperatly. No pun intended. I found out for myself, first hand.

I've grounded each of the the amps...

I really can't figure this problem out... If I disconnect the RCA's to the 2nd AMP at the end connected to the 1st amp, the interference disappears. But if I disconnect the RCA's at the Amp in my trunk, but leave them plugged in to the 1st amp, the interference is there.

This leads me to believe that the interference is coming from somewhere along the RCA's I have running to the trunk. I've got them running from the amp under my drivers seat, across under the armrest, under the passenger seat, up the passenger side, and through to the trunk. My power for the 2nd amp runs along the drivers side of the car. The RCA's and Power can't get any further away from each other.

Is there any chance that I am getting interference from some other item in the car?

Is there any power running down the passenger side of the car?

I have disconnected the factory upgrade sub, but I didn't remove any of the wiring. Is it possible that this is the cause of my interference?

I appreciate any/all ideas and suggestions!

Spence
    Last edited by VA Beach WRX; 03-26-2003 at 10:30 AM.

What kind of interference is it? What does it sound like? Does it change with engine speed?

yes, the interference matches rpm's. It is a high pitched whine... don't know how else to describe it. My girlfriend says it sounds like a jet engine... ... but really its pretty subtle. You can only hear it with the windows up.
    Last edited by VA Beach WRX; 03-26-2003 at 11:57 AM.

Try taking out your nice $35 RCAs from all the paneling, carpeting etc. Now just lay it across the seats and throw it in the truck to your amp and hook it up. drive around and see if the whine goes away. If it does, than you'll know that its the placement of the cable. Now if the whine doesn't go away, try swapping cables to see if its your cable thats having problems? If all else fails, kick it.

tried moving the cable... d*mn I'm getting good at taking that back seat out... and the noise persists.

I'll try a new RCA cable today.

Did new cables solve the problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast