Stereo Interference - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Stereo Interference within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by VA Beach WRX Please Help! I've installed all my new audio, but I am getting interference from ...

MDH

Re: Stereo Interference

Originally posted by VA Beach WRX
    Please Help!

I've installed all my new audio, but I am getting interference from the RCA's running from the amp under my seat to the amp in the trunk.

I have tried moving the RCA's so that they are as far away from the power wires as possible, (power down driver's side, RCA's down Passenger side) but the interference is still there.

What can I do????

Thanks in advance!

Spencer
    How many preouts do you have on the head unit?
    Are you using the outputs of the first amp to your second amp?
    The first amp might be boosting the engine noise to the second amp.

Try this...
    1. Run your RCAs AWAY from all factory wires. Also stay away from the fuel pump.
    2. Ground your head unit with the amps. (run a ground wire to the trunk.)
    3. Make sure you have a very good ground. (strip the paint to bare metal so you'll have a better contact.)
    4. If you're using the remote turn on wire that is on the RCAs...don't. Run a seperate wire away from your RCAs for the remote turn on.

I'm already running $35 Monster Cable RCA's... i would think that these would be sufficently shielded...
    Brand named RCAs aren't any better than generic cables. Unless you're going to compete with your system, I wouldn't spend the extra money on brand named cables.

Good luck!
    Last edited by MDH; 04-04-2003 at 08:41 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ok. I got the Ground loop isolators and hooked them up. And well they just made my problem worse. I am not sure if I am hooking them up right but I think I did. Seemed pretty simple to me. But as soon as I connected them the alternator noise got even worse and more pronounced. I tried hooking them up different ways and everyhting and nothing worked.

So I removed them and I have this very annoying whining noise coming from the speakers.

I noticed I can turn the radio off and I still get the noise. I ran power from the batter on one side of the car and speaker wire on the other side. Do I need to run the amped speaker wire on the same side as the power wire??

I don't know what the problem could be.

Where did you guys ground your amps to? I did mine to the middle brake light bolt. Also do I have to ground my amp and sub amp to different locations. Right now I have a distribution block that they both go to and then I run a common ground.

I need help guys.

Originally posted by Jasno999
    Ok. I got the Ground loop isolators and hooked them up. And well they just made my problem worse. I am not sure if I am hooking them up right but I think I did. Seemed pretty simple to me. But as soon as I connected them the alternator noise got even worse and more pronounced. I tried hooking them up different ways and everyhting and nothing worked.

So I removed them and I have this very annoying whining noise coming from the speakers.

I noticed I can turn the radio off and I still get the noise. I ran power from the batter on one side of the car and speaker wire on the other side. Do I need to run the amped speaker wire on the same side as the power wire??

Where did you guys ground your amps to? I did mine to the middle brake light bolt. Also do I have to ground my amp and sub amp to different locations. Right now I have a distribution block that they both go to and then I run a common ground.

I need help guys.
    One thing's for sure, dont ground your amp to the brake light bolt. Find a bolt going into the body and ground to that. If you ground to the brake light, you'll in a sense be grounding to another circuit. Try moving your ground to something else, maybe a bolt for your seat?(I'm assuming you have your amp under the seat right now since you grounded to a brake bolt). If that doesn't work try removing your ground loop isolaters. Basically try one component at a time. Also what could help would be using twisted wires, but try that last since it might require more money and ripping out a wiring job.

MDH
    Originally posted by Jasno999

I need help guys.
    Should connect another pair of RCAs from the deck to the amp without running them on the floor boards. Lay them over your interior and see if you still have engine noise. If you do, move it around.

If that doesn't work, then it's probably your ground. Crimp a ring connector to your ground wire and screw it into the car. Make sure you scrape off all the paint so the connector will have a better contact.

Another way to eliminate engine noise is to do what Megavolt121 said. Make your own RCAs. Twist a pair of wires together with a power drill and solder RCA connectors to the ends. Like I said from my previous post, RCAs doesn't have to be expensive for them to be good.

To repeat when I put the ground loop isolators on it made the noise worse. SO I removed them.

My last effort here is goign to be to try and run the grounds to a seat belt bolt or one of the bolts under the back seat. That and maybe I will try to move my distribution blocks.

Is that does nto work then I have no idea what will.

Is your distro. block screwed into the metal of the car? That was my problem long time ago, I pulled the distro. block, put a sheet of plywood down, screwed the WOOD to the metal, then screwed the distro. block into the wood. Voila, no more whine.

My distro is screwed to the back seat. I do not think it is screwed into any metal at all. I can check but I don't think it is.

Well I ran RCAs outside the car this weekend. Problem stayed the same no matter what. SO I installed a better set of converters to go from line out to RCA. And this did not help. So I used the adjustments on the converters and turned them down. When I got to a ceartain level the whine went away. So I figured problem solved. However I went to play the stero and came to find out that with a lower setpoint on the converter you get more lower sounds.

I was getting all these bass sounds coming from my speakers when playing music even though I had the amp switched to high pass. So if I turn up the level on the line out converters I get better sound but I get noise. Where I turn it down I get poor sound but no noise. Son't knwo what to do.

Also another strange thing is this. The converter came with a 5th terminal for ground. Directions said not to hook it up unless it was nessassary for the amp to work. Well it is not nessassary but I tried it to see what it would do. When I hooked it up I immediatly got noise. However I found that the noise now stayed the same no matter how low or hihg I turned the converter up or down.

Do you think it is still just a poor ground? I am so confused about this. Need more help.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.