Something is fubar with my new gauges
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Something is fubar with my new gauges within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; All right...Ivan (iv30) did all the wiring on my gauges, and he's far from a newbie when it comes to ...

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX

Something is fubar with my new gauges

All right...Ivan (iv30) did all the wiring on my gauges, and he's far from a newbie when it comes to electronics. In fact, I don't know anyone better with electronics than him in the NW. With that said, we're both clueless as to what's wrong with my gauges.

First off, both the EGT gauge and Oil Temp gauge comes with the following wires:

12v Constant (Orange)
    12v Ignition (Red)
    Light (Yellow)
    Ground (Black)

Sounds pretty straight-forward, right? Well, here's the problem...I turn the key to the accessory on position, and the gauges come to life. My EGT gauge goes straight to about 775 - 800 C. No, the engine isn't on...it just goes straight to that. I then turn the engine on, and the EGT needle moves with the power fluctuation, but otherwise, it doesn't budge. I notice while I'm driving, at idle it stays around 750 - 775 C, and when cruising, it goes to about 810 - 825 C. It DOES NOT move any lower or higher than this. Obviously something is wrong, but what could it be? Could my actual gauge be faulty?

I've also got an Oil Temp gauge, but the sensor isn't plugged in yet, nor is it even connected to the wire that leads to the gauge. It, like the EGT gauge, goes up to a constant level without the engine being on, moves a little with the power fluctuation when I turn the crank, then just stays stagnant after the engine is turned on.

Does ANYONE have any idea what is going on?
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Vice President and Editorial Manager, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Something is fubar with my new gauges

are you running off your clock harness? My gauges dont' exhibit that behavior at all, they go to 0 at acc.
    http://homepage.mac.com/supermarkus/PhotoAlbum1.html

Mullet haiku:
    Daughter's BMX
    Takes me to welfare office
    Trans Am is on blocks

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    I believe Ivan tapped the radio harness, but I don't know for sure.
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)

if your gauges are coming on at acc then thats the problem i think. u need to have a +12V at ignition, not acc. maybe change the red wire and that will solve it?

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Got Boost
    if your gauges are coming on at acc then thats the problem i think. u need to have a +12V at ignition, not acc. maybe change the red wire and that will solve it?
    Ivan and I are going to look at it again tonight. I told him it might be the ignition wire. He's going to try wiring it to the clock harness instead of the radio harness, but he also told me last night that he's sure he tapped the ignition and not the constant.

It almost sounds like your EGT sensor could be shorted. Make sure the hot wire isn't getting grounded somewhere. You also need to be sure the sensor is grounded. If you used Teflon tape you could have a poor ground.

I would suggest buying a cheap multimeter so you can double check your connections what they are supposed to be.

Hope that helps. I just installed a Defi set and everything worked as expected. The clock plug has all four wires that you need and each is labled on the clock housing. You would have to remove the clock to be able to read it but I think NASIOC has a picture of which wires are hooked to what.

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Silver Bullet1
    It almost sounds like your EGT sensor could be shorted. Make sure the hot wire isn't getting grounded somewhere. You also need to be sure the sensor is grounded. If you used Teflon tape you could have a poor ground.

I would suggest buying a cheap multimeter so you can double check your connections what they are supposed to be.

Hope that helps. I just installed a Defi set and everything worked as expected. The clock plug has all four wires that you need and each is labled on the clock housing. You would have to remove the clock to be able to read it but I think NASIOC has a picture of which wires are hooked to what.
    Thanks, I've passed that onto Ivan

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welp, Ivan rewired it, triple-checked it, tapped the clock power instead, and guess what? They both are still fubar Looks like I'm going to have to talk to Garret now about making an exchange or something

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.