Troubleshooting the factory subwoofer
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Troubleshooting the factory subwoofer within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; After installing my Infinitys (see tutorial here) , I discovered that my factory sub has never worked. The harness is ...

Troubleshooting the factory subwoofer

After installing my Infinitys (see tutorial here), I discovered that my factory sub has never worked. The harness is plugged into the sub, but I couldn't find where the wires attached to the head unit. Yes, I did pull the entire deck out. Anyone know where the wires are? I don't feel like going to the dealership unless I have to.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

From what I can gather, the wiring for the sub is part of the normal 14 pin harness for the head unit. Here are the install instructions for the sub, maybe they will help you out. http://subaruparts.com/install/2002isub.pdf
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Thanks bdoug, but after reading those, you have to wonder how the Subaru technicians got it right in the first place. I'm now more confused than I was before. It looks like there's an extra harness that has to be attached?
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

OK, I pulled my deck out and I figured out how it all hooks together. The instructions I posted don't show the whole sub harness. The sub harness plugs between the car harness and deck and has 6 wires spliced into it; power, gnd, and 4 speaker wires. There is a purple in-line fuse holder with a 10 amp fuse in it, this supplies power to the sub.

First thing I would do is pull your deck and check the fuse. If the fuse is good, it's possible the sub harness is bad. Pull the plug from the sub and use a test light or multimeter and make sure the sub is getting power and gnd. If power and gnd are good, then check continuity of the 4 speaker wires. If everything checks out on the wiring side, it's probably a bad sub.

Don't forget to check the 'gain' and x-over' knobs on the sub. If these knobs are set to 'minimum' it could account for the low/no output from your sub.

Hope everything works out for ya

-Brett
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

djrez4, you get the sub figured out yet Just wondering

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.