Need Fast Audio help!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Need Fast Audio help! within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Which wire is the "on" or constant wire to the radio? I'm trying to do a hotwire to my radar ...

Need Fast Audio help!

Which wire is the "on" or constant wire to the radio? I'm trying to do a hotwire to my radar detector.

I would hot wire it off the fuse box but it is already filled up with wires from my boost/egt gauges.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm not sure, but where is the radar detector located? Because you can tap into the wiring in your map lights very easily, and it's up there where most people mount their detectors.

Radar is located right underneath my rear view mirror.

which wire would i tap into my map lights?

A couple examples:

Valentine Radar Hard-Wiring (alternate method)

Valentine One Hardwire

These are pretty extensive installs. It's pretty obvious once you pop the light assembly off. The ground is screwed to the body metal, the other wire is hot. Map lights work regardless of ignition

Only problem with tapping the wires in the map lights (which isnt hard btw if you have a little electronics ability you dont need a tutorial) is its always on. If you want to tap it to the stereo look for the ignition wire which is the RED one. You can also use the BLACK one for ground if you didnt know If you use the RED one then the radar will only turn on when the car turns on... Why not just tap one of the existing wires going into the fuse box though? If you dont want to crimp two together just get one of those wire tap clip things and you dont have to cut anything..

Check around. I wired my V1 to a wire for the compass mirror, just grabbed power off of the wire up there. I think it was yellow IIRC.

I can check my schematic if you don't find a yellow wire up there.

Jay

Originally posted by thechickencow
    Check around. I wired my V1 to a wire for the compass mirror, just grabbed power off of the wire up there. I think it was yellow IIRC.

I can check my schematic if you don't find a yellow wire up there.

Jay
    I'm guessing that must be ignition.. I will have to check into that.. that would be cool

I spliced it into the yellow wire into the map lights. It works great! That's what i originally spliced it too but the V1 wouldn't come on so I took a risk and spliced it into the blue wire. After a couple of hours of being completely confused i found out that my ground was the culprit. I relocated it and now it works great! Thanks for all the responses.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.