Sub/Amp Install
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Sub/Amp Install within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey whats up ya'll, been reading the posts on the forum for some time and finally figured I'd make an ...

Sub/Amp Install

Hey whats up ya'll, been reading the posts on the forum for some time and finally figured I'd make an account.

Anyway i bought a 03 about a week ago and immediately fell in love with the car... except the stereo.

So I went online picked up a new deck (DEH-6500), component speakers (Infinity 50.5CS), a rockford fosgate 12" Power and a 1000bd amp. Well when it comes to car electronics I'm a newb. I was able to successfully install the deck but now what about the sub/amp? I allready purchased a box (some subzero box, absolutely perfect fit and doesn't take up much room) RCA cables to the deck and the power for the amp.

My question is, am I in over my head? Or can I install this on my own? Obviously a monkey can connect the components together but its the wiring that has me a little nervous. I understand that I need to run the power through the firewall, wheres a good spot for this? Do I need to remove the dash? Wheres a good spot to run the cable underneath the carpet to the trunk? Can you mount the amp to the sub enclosure, if not wheres a good spot (in the trunk, or if you have any better suggestions)? If any of ya can help me out I would really appreciate it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Cool thanks for all the suggestions.

If anything, where is the best place to run the power thru the firewall? Theres a grommet behind the intercooler does this one feed straight into the dash?

cnk
    You can run the power wire through the grommet behind the clutch/brake pedal. Pull the carpeting hole out, then grab the grommet with pliers and pull it in. If you accidentally push it through, just pop the hood, remove the washer resevoir and reach down and find it with your hand. Run the wire through that hole, cut a slit in the grommet, pass the wire through it, re-insert the grommet from the inside of the cabin. Then route the wire under the door sills. You can pull the door sills up to see the channel where stock wiring is run.

Mounting the amp depends on how big it is and where you want to mount it. I have mine mounted under the driver's seat. Keep in mind you'll also need to find a grounding point on the chassis. You'll also need to run a remote power-on wire from your HU to the amp. Also remember to run the RCA's as far away from the power wires as possible. you may want to run the RCA's down the center of the chassis or down the passenger side door sill.

If this sounds very overwhelming for you, then it's up to you whether you want to attempt this or not. I did my own amp, HU, sub, and speakers and in total, it took me about 8-10 hours. I did this in a garage in the middle of summer and couldn't open the garage door for fear of being mosquito bait so YMMV.

Calvin

Cool thanks a lot for the response man

I thought it was gunna be a lot harder than it really is... I went ahead and mounted the amp to the box, it looks killer, ran the wiring down the passenger side... however I'll probably switch to the driver and go through the grommet that you suggested.

Allrite well I wired everything successfully but now I have a prob. The Voltage on the amp when the car is turned off is 12V. however when the car is in acc or on it reads 6-7V. Do I need a new battery or a capacitor??

i dont know about your last problem... didnt really read it all hehe.. sorry at work no time.... but when you run the wires MAKE SURE!!! you wire the power on the opposite side of the RCA's.... you will pick up nasty feedback if you run them on the same side.... power and rca's should be as far away from each other ass possible... for example: power down drivers side.. and rca's down passanger side works the best.. in my last car i ran them up opposite sides of the center console.. and i still get a little interference and static.. but im not about to change it now, since i got the rex, and all that stereo is comin out and goin on ebay hehe.....

alright i guess i can touch upon the other question.. umm i dot think your amp should read anything when the car is off.. since the amp shouldn't be powered.. i mean yes there will be power going to it from the battery... but its not doing anything.. not draining and the amp isnt turned on, since you should have ran the blue wire from the HU to the amp as the remote turn on, so your amp only turns on with your HU.... but if your amp is reading 6-7v when its on, and its hooked up correctly... youc an either get a cap if you dont have much money.... but your not pulling that much power... so i think your amp is messed up..... or its wired wrong... cause if you got the car a week ago, the stock alternator should handle that sub no problem, as far as the amp you bought.. id ont konw why you got 1000 watt amp though.... for 1 12" fosgate.. that thing prolly peaks at lke 300.....and if you have your speakers runnin to it, speakers at peak prolly handle 150..... so i think you went over kill on the amp..... but ionno i gotta leave work but PM me if you got more questoins.. pz

the sub is a 1kW RMS, peak of 2kW

But i found the problem to be a ****ty ground...

I pushed said grommet through and haven't yet found it. Now it's dark out so I'm not going to go pulling the washer bottle to try to reach it. Where does it fall to? Is it still there after driving to the grocery store and now I'll have to drive to work in the AM (10 miles at 40mph total since pushing it through probably)

For now I've got a rag stuffed in the hole in case it rains this week. Next weekend I'm planning to change the oil anyway, so then I can get under there and put the grommet back in place. Might have to pull my wires again so I can put them through the grommet.

Any bets on whether my grommet will still be there tomorrow?

I got my power cable run and got my Nokia cell kit installed today though! That was really the only problem I've encountered so far...
    '04 JBP Wagon 5MT

cnk
    There's a ledge under the washer bottle. If you look carefully, you may be able to see the grommet. Just remove the washer bottle and reach underneath to see if you can feel it. If you've driven around though, you may have lost the grommet already. It's tough to say as it really depends where it landed when it popped out. If you haven't driven yet, just take the bottle out. . only takes like 5 minutes. You should be able to pull it out without having to disconnect anything.

Calvin

Instead of getting a cap, I would recommend getting a better battery to replace your current one or to be a second battery. A capacitor is cheaper, but a second battery or a high-power battery to replace your current one is your best bet. Again, make sure the power wire and RCA cables are separated, and make sure you have a good ground for your amp. What gauge wire are you using? 7V is awfully low.. Did you mount the amp already? You could mount it on the box or you could make a seperate mount for it. I decided to make a separate mount board for my amp, and I have it vertically mounted. For RF amps I think it is generally better to mount them vertically, not horizontally. Good luck with your new system.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

eh, i wouldnt spend the money on a high powered battery.... usually thats only good for if your runnin huge amounts of power, and/or need the stereo to run decent when the car is not running... otherwise you just need a cap (the cheap way) or a new alternator... bigger alternators help alot.... since when the car is running, its runnin off the alternator, not so much the battery....

Woohoo! I found the grommet. A few notes on the subject while I'm here. The wagon bottle does not lift right out. The hose going to the liftgate is routed in a way that doesn't allow the bottle to come up more than a few inches. I pulled the hose off, plugged the hole, re-routed the hose, and put it back on. Then I found the grommet resting under the engine resting right about where the steering shaft goes into the steering mechanism under the engine. Poked a hole in it, pushed my wires through and wrapped everything up. Took about 40 minutes because I was working with 1 hand holding the bottle steady and one hand working on the wires.
    '04 JBP Wagon 5MT

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.