I've got a serious problem....need some help!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on I've got a serious problem....need some help! within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Last week I installed an autometer boost gauge in my car. Everything's been working fine, but tonight none of my ...

I've got a serious problem....need some help!

Last week I installed an autometer boost gauge in my car. Everything's been working fine, but tonight none of my dash lights or radio, heating/ac lights would come on. When i turn the headlights on the clock and radio face don't dim either. What could the problem be? I tapped into a wire coming out of the cruise control button (it was purple if that helps anything). Blown fuse maybe? I checked all the connections and they're all still good (the ground is still fine, connection with the wire is fine too). Also, I didn't cut the wire I tapped at all, just stripped it and wrapped more wire around it. Anyway, any suggestions on what this could be? Thanks a lot.

~Adam

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'd definetly check the fuses man, main thing i can think of.

Yep, that's what it was. I guess i should've checked that before i posted. Sorry for the trouble. Do you think there could be a problem with the wiring location? I may need to try to tap another wire.

Originally posted by phish575
    Yep, that's what it was. I guess i should've checked that before i posted. Sorry for the trouble. Do you think there could be a problem with the wiring location? I may need to try to tap another wire.
    How did you ground the autometer? If you actually hooked the ground up to the illumination wire within the car instead of a ground wire... as soon as you turned on your headlights the fuse would blow... This happend to me a few years back when i was installing a HU and figured the only wire left had to be ground... wrong

Nah, I just grounded it to a bolt going to the frame. It seemed like the easiest thing to do since i didn't connect it behind the stock head unit, but to the 12v wire running to the cruise control button.

All seems to be ok though now (at least until another fuse blows.... )

Did the lights and stuff kick out while using the cruise control? I'm not sure I can picture exactly what your setup is, but where is the connection between your boost gauge and your dash lights. I'd trace from there if there is a connection for illumination that is tapped into there or something.

tcc

Everything is fine now, it was just a fuse that blew because the 12v and ground wires touched right up next to the gauge.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.