Crunching Noise In The Rear

This is a discussion on Crunching Noise In The Rear within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just like the topic says, whenever I turn my car (the harder the turn, the louder it is) I hear ...

Crunching Noise In The Rear

Just like the topic says, whenever I turn my car (the harder the turn, the louder it is) I hear a "crunching" noise from the rear part of the car. I checked out the spare tire in the trunk and the jack in the compartment but both were secure. Also, I had my rear window broken by a baseball bat and had it replaced. I definitely know that it's not glass moving around because I cleaned up every piece. The install guy did a great job with everything and there have been no leaks in rain or snow, which should mean everything is tight. I also checked the rear seatbelt adjusters on the B pillar (I think that's the correct term) but those weren't loose either. It's making me mad. I'm just looking for some suggestions or if anyone else has had this problem. Thank you!
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Platinum Silver Metallic Sedan

MODS:
    K&N Air Filter
    Painted Red Brake Calipers (Foliatec)
    Valentine 1 Radar Detector

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Could it be your rear differential? Can you tell if it is coming from down low like that? A bad center diff can make popping sounds when you turn but it probably wouldn't sound like it was coming from the rear of the car.

Moving parts:
    1. brake drums and rotors (e brake has a drum system)
    2. Sway bar
    3. Struts
    4. End links and trailing links
    5. Wheels and tires
    6. Rear diff
    7. Drive shaft
    8. Exhaust can make noises if you have lowered your car or it has come off the hangers.

mind makes that noise to, not sure though
    285whp, still pokey as hell, but It has a 6 speed so Its ok

I believe the swaybar makes clunking noises especially when its cold. Ive never noticed this but I have seen alot of others complaint about it.
    Alex

It seems like it's coming from up high but it could be the rear swaybar. In fact, I'm pretty sure it has been happening since it got colder outside.

MODS:
    K&N Air Filter

Im assuming you have never touched the rear suspension in any way, such as losening any bolts, attaching strut bars, springs etc...
    Alex

Could be the fiberboard spare tire cover getting knocked around. Mine seems to make alittle noise if I hit the right bump or take certain corners too fast.
    No one will truely be free until nerd persecution ends.

You're right, I've never touched the rear suspension in any way. I'll try removing that board over the spare tire and taking a ride, just to see if that is the cause. Thanks for all the suggestions thus far!

MODS:
    K&N Air Filter