Autometer Boost Gauge Install Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Autometer Boost Gauge Install Help within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all. Sorry to be a bother, I've searched all over the place (here, Nasioc, Scoobymods) and still can't find ...

Autometer Boost Gauge Install Help

Hey all. Sorry to be a bother, I've searched all over the place (here, Nasioc, Scoobymods) and still can't find any good, clear instructions on installing a boost gauge. I kinda have a general idea of what's going on, but some nice step-by-step stuff with pictures would really be awesome if anybody has any of that kinda stuff available. I'm about to just give up and have it installed somewhere (possibly even the dealer?) . Anyway, thanks in advance for the help.

-Adam

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

No pictures, (at least i don't think i'll have a look). But i bought a 1/4 by 1/4 by 1/4 inch T and T'ed into the BOV line. Then i used some vacuum hose and zip ties to adapt the vacuum hose to the nylon that came with the gauge.

There is a grommet above the brake/clutch pedal that i used to get through the firewall.

All in all a simple install let me see if i can find any pics.

Found/made a pic for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails look here.jpg  

O yea, and don't have the dealer install it, it's far to simple to waste your time/money/gas on it. Materials you need are: Scissors (to cut the BOV line), A 1/4 by 1/4 by 1/4 inch T, drill or screwdriver to punch through the grommet, and some pliers to tighten the hose to the gauge (tighten as far by hand as you can, then give around a half turn w/ the pliers so you do not overtighten and pinch the hose.

Thank you very much. I think I'm mainly just confused by all the adapters and stuff that came with my Autometer gauge. So i can just run a 1/4" line from the T, but then i'm confused as to how i can get it back down to the nylon tubing provided. I found the grommet you're talking about, but am having trouble finding it from the engine bay. (I actually accidently poked the grommet out and can't find it now, whoops ) Anyway, once i get it in the cabin do i just take of dash pieces and run it up through there? Thanks again for all the help, hopefully I should be able to get this knocked out pretty soon.

-Adam

Originally posted by phish575
    Thank you very much. I think I'm mainly just confused by all the adapters and stuff that came with my Autometer gauge. So i can just run a 1/4" line from the T, but then i'm confused as to how i can get it back down to the nylon tubing provided. I found the grommet you're talking about, but am having trouble finding it from the engine bay. (I actually accidently poked the grommet out and can't find it now, whoops ) Anyway, once i get it in the cabin do i just take of dash pieces and run it up through there? Thanks again for all the help, hopefully I should be able to get this knocked out pretty soon.

-Adam
    Well about the grommet: I used a flashlight a coathanger and a friend and it made it a bit easier.

And to get the 1/4" vacuum tube to the nylon i put some silicone sealant around a bit of the nylon, then i slid it into the vacuum tubing and i put two zipties on tight to hold it. No leaks or anything so far, and if you have one you'll know from your gauge .

The cabin is the easy part. If you turn around under the dash and look towards the steering wheel you will be able to see paths you can run the line though. This is where it depends on where you want to route it. I used a GReddy steering column mount from www.worldoneperformance.com shipped for like 11 dollars, works fine so far, website is annoying though.

The grommet comes out (when your looking towards the cabin from in front of the car) on your right side very deep, you can find it easily if you want to get under the car, but thats not necessary.

O yea, your welcome.

Thanks again Shard. I'm gonna use an autometer cup and mount it in the left corner of the dash, kinda next to the A-pillar. It would be good if i could run it up the vent that's right next to there (kinda oval shaped, facing up), so would i be able to do this by going underneath like you mentioned? And finally, where did you wire yours? I've read behind the cd player and all that stuff, but i've also read other places. What is your suggestion?

Once again, thanks for all the help. You seem like the only person in the world I can get help from. Everybody else just seems to say "man, this is a piece of cake" but doesn't offer much help from here. This is really the first work I'm doing on my car so I'm still pretty new to it all.

so did you take off any dash panels or anything while running the line up? If I could avoid doing that it would be great.
    Last edited by phish575; 02-23-2003 at 06:24 PM.

I used the OEM harnass for lighting. I took out the stereo and i took off the face and stuff around it. I don't think this would suit you though because your not going for a steering column mount. I'm not quite sure about that vent either, i will look tomorrow if no one answers before hand. That vent is most likely easily accessed as i have even seen gauges mounted there, but i'll take a look. And taking apart dah pieces isn't as intimidating as it seems.

For you lighting i'd most likely tap either the cruise control or the fog light button, as those dim w/ the other lights. However any 12v source and ground will do, but some won't dim.

To get the boost hose i didn't have to take any panels off, but i'm not sure when u mount it at that vent area.

I appreciate your compliments, i was in you situation when i installed my gauge so i figured i know, might as well share? I guess sometimes people forget not everyone is an expert. Good luck man, you'll do fine. And again i'll post tomorrow about how to get up to that vent. Good luck.

Try this...

http://www.wrxtra.com/Documentation/doc-1003.pdf

Let me know if that helps.
    '02 WRX/STi

Thanks again shard, and aem that link was very helpful. If I can just tap into the cruise control or fog light buttons will they need to be on in order for the gauge to light up (this may be a stupid question.) Also, do these wires contain a ground along with them (like the factory harness), or will i need to find another one (because that may be a problem as there's a mess of wires and i don't know what most of them do). Once again, thanks for all the help. I think i'm gonna give this a shot tomorrow.

The best place to tie into for lights is the open plug on the back of the stereo. This way your aftermarket gauges will dim with the rest of your gauges. A couple of male spade connectors and some electrical tape is all you need.
    J.B. Hebert
    www.WRXtra.com

Thanks again shard, and aem that link was very helpful. If I can just tap into the cruise control or fog light buttons will they need to be on in order for the gauge to light up (this may be a stupid question.) Also, do these wires contain a ground along with them (like the factory harness), or will i need to find another one (because that may be a problem as there's a mess of wires and i don't know what most of them do). Once again, thanks for all the help. I think i'm gonna give this a shot tomorrow.
    They will not need to be on as you are tapping into the light for them, not the button's circuit. So when you turn the lights on, the gauge goes on. They don't contain a ground, but one is easy to find. Just screw it onto a metal bolt touching the frame.

As far as the plug behind the sterio, it is power and ground and easy, but it's a pain in the ass to take off the stereo and stuff especially without a friend.

Alright, the gauge is in, but now i've just got one problem. I have a leak where the nylon hose runs into the back of the gauge. I've loaded the area up with silicon sealant, but it still keeps leaking. Any suggestions?

Oh, and thanks for all the help everyone. The install really wasn't all that bad.

Alright, the gauge is in, but now i've just got one problem. I have a leak where the nylon hose runs into the back of the gauge. I've loaded the area up with silicon sealant, but it still keeps leaking. Any suggestions?

Oh, and thanks for all the help everyone. The install really wasn't all that bad.
    Told you the install wasn't bad.

And for the leak, i'd just cut the hose and try to fasten it again make sure the end of the nylon is cut flat and not slanted or anything.

Thanks man, leak seems to be fixed now with cutting/sealant/this stretchy rubber stuff that sticks to itself.

The only problem now is that the gauge looks like it's calibrated wrong or something. When I get on the throttle at idle it doesn't quite make it up to 0. But boost seems to hit just about 13 psi in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th from what I can tell, and that seems to be pretty close.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast